Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting printed ply sheet  (Read 2273 times)

emptyscot

Cutting printed ply sheet
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:44:38 pm »

Gentlefolk,

I`m starting to build the Cumbrae from Caldercraft and this is my first experience with printed ply sheet (0.8mm) and I`m wondering what is the best way to cut this material. There is no scoring and the deck overlay is ~30" long and curved and the thought of handcutting it leaves me clenched to say the least. Is a bandsaw a feasible solution? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers from the Great White North
            Mike

andygh

Re: Cutting printed ply sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:11 pm »

Try experimenting with a decent pair of scissors  :-))

Proteus

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:52:44 pm »

If it's to fin inside the bulwarks make a good cardboard templat (frostys box) and mark a centreline on the hull so when you transfer it the planking is in the centre and lined up . I use a small block plane if there is only a couple of mill to remove and then a hard block with 120 grit then less sandpaper. I do use scissors on the likes of 1/64 ply or a sharp knife I don't use it on thicker as it can tear or delaminate the ply. if youcan get hold of a ruler that has a strip  of rubber underneath to stop moving some have a hard edge, this can be good with a sharp knife and sand to Finnish don't try to get to close to the line with the knife as you only get one in the kits.

Proteus,

Hagar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:22:27 am »

Stanly knive. Cut to just outside the line. CHECK THE FIT and sand gently back until you are just touching the line. Keep checking the fit all the time.
As many have said before; Its very easy to remove a little at a time, and very hard to put it back on if you go to far...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 07:40:57 am »

Yep, Stanley knife, cut on the waste side and Gently sand to final shape.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:59:15 am »

Definately a Stanley knife but remember the following:

1) Always have a new sharp blade in it.

2) Always use a steel rule to cut against.

3) Always start with a couple of gentle strokes to score the surface before applying a bit more pressure.

0.8mm ply cuts very effectively like this and should give you a beautiful neat clean cut.

For curves you have a couple of options.  You can start with a light freehand score which will be easier to follow when you apply a bit more pressure or you can find a household object to use as a guide.  You will be very lucky though finding exactly what you want to match every curve you need to cut.

One device is a tool that I used at school in drawing classes and that was what we called a 'flexible curve'.  It is basically a strip of lead inside a plastic sheath that you can bend to suit whatever radius of curve you want and you can then use it as a guide to score against.

Finally a simple lead sheet can be cut into strips and then bent to form cutting guides, which is quite an effective method.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

emptyscot

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »

Many thanks to one and all.
          Mike

andygh

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 09:13:17 pm »

In fact decent quality 1.5mm plywood is fairly easy to cut with scissors, must be good ones though. As I said experiment first
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.