Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: King Of Shaves.  (Read 22391 times)

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
King Of Shaves.
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:25:08 pm »

Hi all not been on here for a while, just wondered what you all think of the Venom King of Shaves RTR? I know it looks a little slow but I think it may only be the exhaust, its right up my street as its so scale :-) would you think a change of engine might help? if it went as fast as my Shockwave I would be happy. The only problem would be the radio which I would throw away and I would have to fit a clutch, so lets get this right £625, throw away the radio, change the motor and pipe, add a clutch, Hmm what was I thinking? it would be so nice if you could just buy the hull finished and painted, anyway you got any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Steve

andyn

Re: King Of Shaves.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:09 pm »

Right then.

Would be ok, but the pipe, radio box, steering servo and prop will all be throwaways. Not sure if it an actual Zen, or a copy, but looks ok. The rails will most definately need beefing up, and the fuel tank will need replacing with a central one. A plastic rudder strut on a 26cc gaser?? ermm no... The radio will probably need replacing too, and those engine mounts don't look all that good.

Which does actually leave you paying £625 for a hull and an engine...

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:23:38 am »

Yeah thanks guys, I thought it would be like any other ready to run with cheap radio, did not know it had plastic hardware, oh well it was just a thought, been looking for a scale boat for a while now.
Steve.

andyn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 05:49:27 pm »

It would be much cheaper to get a Makara running, and they are scale models (ish) of an Apache, so you could do it up scale wise a bit

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:39:45 pm »

Nah, just like the look of the King of Shaves, shame its so slow. <:(

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:24:26 pm »

This one seems to be doing OK! - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6APekIkgs
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »

Wonder why you can't hear the chase boat engine?? Perhaps it has an electric outboard on it - that's why it's faster  {-) {-) {-)
Danny

andyn

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »

May I point out that that boat has a max speed of 30ish mph, the chase boat probably has a max speed of 20 ish, and that hull with the right engine and pipe probably has the potential to do 50 - 60 odd mph.

Pat from our club runs a simalar hull with an A90 in it and gets around 70 on our small lake

It also doesn't appear to be balanced right, see the nose dives off waves?

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:01:25 pm »

The Venom King of Shaves is a "safe" of the self boat that most people could buy and run.... which is fine if that's what you want.
Buy it, charge and fuel it up have a run, don't clean it down, put it in the garage for 3 weeks, get it out charge it up, fuel, etc, etc.

Supped up maximum power OMRA boats are something else..... 'horses for courses!'

I sound like I'm try to sell you one of the stupid things!      :D

andyn

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:23:40 pm »

OMRA boats are mostly hardly 'souped' up, quite a lot of the boats in D class for example are using standard Zenoah G260's, quite a lot of the other classes are standard engines, and some are buggy motors with colling jackets around the heads.

And it is still cheaper to build an OMRA boat from scratch than to buy a King Of Shaves.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 06:40:03 pm »

Give us a costing Andy, I've never built a petrol OMRA boat......  {:-{

andyn

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:21 pm »

I'll do my best....

I'll point out before I begin, I personally would not deal with Prestwich Models, all parts would come from Bonzi.

Nimrif models - Makara - £125 I think, I stand to be corrected as there are no prices on his site...

Bonzi Sports - Zenoah G260pum with mounts and collets - $279.95 - £170.74 at time of writing

Prestwich Models - Tuned Pipe - £69.50
                           Stinger assembly with stuff tube and flexi - £47.90
                           Rudder - £26.95
                           Prop - various choices specific to engine, lake etc, but all are around £20
                           Radio box - £24.95
                           FlexHex - 12.95
                           Manifold - £25

LMS (local model shop) - Ripmax Fuel tank, one of the big yellow jobs - £8.35

Cost so far - £530.94

You will also need a controller (obviously) for which a Spektum DX5e is excellent, so thats an extra £60

Other accessories such as a couple of bits of Marine Grade ply to make the engine rails, some rx aerial tubes, £5.79 a can for paint and primer from Halfords, some Tygon petrol tubing, an NGK Iridium spark plug, and an Rx battery.

So then, to fit out a Makara would be £ 590.94,  plus the extra bits above, and also for radio boxes use a metal sandwich tin with some self adhesive neoprene inside, which are from camping shops for £8. To use Bonzi from america is a lot cheaper than Prestwich, so we shall say for the purposes of this if you spend over £600 you have gone seriously wrong somewhere

Makara - £600 absolute maximum
King Of Shaves - £625, then all of the above to replace the simply awful bits already installed.

It would be  far better as a first boat to fit out an AA / A class boat, which will be a considerable amount cheaper than this, but we like the expensive stuff don't we?

Also, as a personal thing, If I had the money to do this and not just the knowhow, I would fit a Bonzi BZX4 engine, 5.5HP@16,800RPM equals one veryveryvery fast boat!

http://bonzisports.com/

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:31:11 pm »

Yeah but I' have build all that!  ok2

King of Shaves is nice  but a whole heap a money!  {:-{

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:51:07 pm »

Hi Martin
Model boating is for me not only the running and repairing the boat, It is spending time building it yourself and learning from your mistakes.
I have almost as much fun putting a boat together as i do racing it.
There are a few ebay sellers which will sell you a stock 26cc Zen for less then £150.00 inc P&P. I can't remember there web site but one is based in Singapore and one in Hong Kong. I have in the passed got parts from both dealers with no probs at all. I have just got parts to rebuild my Silk engine from O'Neil Bros USA. They where spot on. A barrel, piston, piston pin, clip's, bearings, gaskets, spark plug was all sent to me in very quick time and a bargin price, and whats more there was NO P&P added to there web list price. Very good service me thinks.
You do have to be carefull with the tuned pipes. OMRA have a sound limit to work to. There are allot of pipes which are far to loud to run over here. Many of these tuned pipes are fitted to RTR type boats found on ebay. You should change them to a quite pipe as you will upset the lake owners and we will all have nowhere to run our IC boats if that happens. A good tuned pipe will cost you around £100. Add that on to the cost of your RTR boat and the price starts looking nearer £750.
Andy is about right with his prices for the Makara set up. Mine has set me backabout £600 this year. Bear in mind I got a new engine + i learned from my mistakes.
O well best get off. DON'T let any one having a go at a OMRA D class boat as many parts can be got second hand from other like mined boaters Which all helps to keep the cost down when you are starting out.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

andyn

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 03:04:59 pm »

Bill raised a very good point there, and one that I didn't want to raise in my posting because second hand and ebay parts vary in price massively.

Provided that you have a good source of parts, someone who has looked after them well, you can considerably cut the cost of building the boats.

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »

All I am saying is that I would like a scale boat that is fast as well, the King of Shaves looks so nice, there is a lot of Zen powered boats on this site but look nothing like any boat I know, there must be someone out there that can do a painted a stickered up scale hull that just needs to be fitted out ??

offshore1987

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 03:12:05 pm »

Hi

Tbh it did well over the 2 mile lake  %) the real king of shaves woulda only lasted 1 mile  {-)

Looks way to slow though n as said  before needs some more weight up the back :)

All the best

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41:12 pm »

WOT NO VIDEO OF IT'S 1ST OUTTING????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 07:07:34 pm »

I have heard that Venom is having issues with the "hand laid" fiberglass hulls.
Something to the effect that the hulls are hand laid, but maybe not by a professional...
Well maybe by a professional, as the person gets paid for the work, but maybe not quality work.

The report was that the mounting rails and engine mounts were poorly done, and the hull had to be replaced.
Radio didn't work out of the box, and was also replaced.

These guys just kill me. Back in May, we had a customer purchase their new gasoline-powered Segad R/C boat.

From day one, he had radio issues (it kept re-programming itself), paint issues (they informed him in a piece of paper in the box the paint was a 'prototype') with runs and thin coverage, poorly fiberglassed motor mount and fuel tank rails.

After several weeks of trying to contact Venom's Customer Service about these issues, I was told by someone called Jason (who said he was the head CS guy) and explained the issues and gave him the customer's phone number. He said he'd call him 'right away'.

Two days later he still hadn't called the customer so I called again and left (yet another) voice mail. Jason called me, apologized and called the customer.

The customer called me to thank me for getting them to call him and that they were sending him a new radio and parts to fix the broken rails.

Two weeks ago, the radio issues returned which caused the boat to crash hard, breaking loose the previous repairs and splitting the hull. So, another series of calls to Venom (and Jason) and the customer calls me to say he's bringing the boat back for a refund or exchange.

Second report that the new radio failed and the boat crashed.... Now that could be, but
I don't know who was running the boat, and what his experience level was.... Could be that
the owner just turned the wrong left, and hit a wall on the right..

If you purchase one, maybe pick it up at a reputable shop that will let you open the box before you buy.

:-)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

Hi all not been on here for a while, just wondered what you all think of the Venom King of Shaves RTR? I know it looks a little slow but I think it may only be the exhaust, its right up my street as its so scale :-) would you think a change of engine might help? if it went as fast as my Shockwave I would be happy. The only problem would be the radio which I would throw away and I would have to fit a clutch, so lets get this right £625, throw away the radio, change the motor and pipe, add a clutch, Hmm what was I thinking? it would be so nice if you could just buy the hull finished and painted, anyway you got any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Steve
Ready to run and fast are words that dont mix usually,far better find a hull you like and build it yourself.Does it have to be a cat? how about a roundnose hydro or a vee?.Im building a plug for a hydro as we speak  50+ with a stock zenoah and 65+ with a full mod is more than possible, in case your interested pm me.
Mart

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:39:03 pm »

Thanks Mart but I dont really want to build one from scratch, like I said would like to buy a hull painted with all the hardwear and just drop in my motor and radio, seen this on the bay but its just the hull

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300271696194

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:53 pm »

Vern Kilmer is the guy,pretty looking boats he builds but you might want to research him a bit b4 you buy,anyway just remember anything over 46" you pay much more import duty and last quote i got for shipping my boats to usa was $260 us then you have duty on topso be aware of that before you order.Same goes for the chinese ones cheap quotes they give you for shipping but import duty is high.
Mart

BJ

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »

This one seems to be doing OK! - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6APekIkgs

Wonder if that boat in the video had the 4.5hp KWA engine in it that Venom are now advertising in the current (U.S.) Radio Control Boat Modeler Mag?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 05:09:53 pm »

Funny thing is if you look at that new venom motor its actually a sikk motor with a different sticker on the starter  %).
Mart
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.