Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What wood for Deckhouses?  (Read 5095 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
What wood for Deckhouses?
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:25:12 pm »

The latest project has wooden deckhouses. Will them what know assist by suggesting what woods will give the best scale representation of oak and teak in terms of colour and grain? (The model will be 1/16 scale.)

Thanks for all help.

Barry M 

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What wood for Deckhouses?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:36:35 pm »

...and mahogany.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:59 pm »

Check out your nearest Dolls House shop. Either that or use 1/16" ply and cover it with a veneer of your choice. My local DIY shop sells various veneers in sheets of 6' x 1' with an anti-splintering backing. As most wooden deckhouses are "panelled" I would have thought that the mere fact of the panelling being present would draw the viewers eye away from the grain pattern. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:01:58 am »

As Bryan suggests, thin ply. For a scale appearance, pick one with little or no grain at all. Alternatively use thin lime wood (box wood) as it has almost no grain.
The point of no grain is that at scale sizes the grain would be almost invisible.
You can then stain the wood to the correct colour, or use coloured varnishes.

For a working boat, I suggest you do not go for a perfect finish and perfect colouration, it makes the boat look unatural. For a yacht perfection is often seen on the full size boat (but not always) so may be more in keeping.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

furball

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:35 pm »

Do you actually need to use wood? Have a look here (yes, I know it's not a boat... :} )

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/03/stuff_eng_tech_wood_grain.htm

Lance

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:12:29 pm »

A good link Furball, thank you.

For the most scale finish I would also think that paint on plasticard is the way to go. Finer haired brushes wil give you a finer grain effect.

Oak however may be a bit harder as you have to mock the medullary rays. Perhaps this could be achieved by lightly rolling/dragging a cotton bud over the oils after graining to create the effect of the rays. Or perhaps dragging the corner of a thin strip of lint free tissue in the desired direction.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:39:45 pm »

Take a leaf out of Blue Peter and use sticky backed plastic. Lots of shades and grains to choose from. Varnish over to seal the edges.

Colin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:54 pm »

Simulated woodwork reminds me of certain trawlers and a Scottish Lighthouse Board (I think) vessel that used the technique on 1:1 scale no doubt because it was cheaper than the real thing and I'm unwilling to try plasticard next to a boiler lest it ends up like a Salvador Dali painting.

It looks like either veneer or solid panel in beech, box or lime.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 03:00:13 pm »

The main deckhouses on PS Waverley are simulated woodwork, and very well done too.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:43:34 pm »

Check out your nearest Dolls House shop. Either that or use 1/16" ply and cover it with a veneer of your choice. My local DIY shop sells various veneers in sheets of 6' x 1' with an anti-splintering backing. As most wooden deckhouses are "panelled" I would have thought that the mere fact of the panelling being present would draw the viewers eye away from the grain pattern. BY.

Bryan, Will you tell me which "local DIY shop" sells it? I've drawn a blank at mine.

Thanks,
Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:50:58 pm »

Bryan, Will you tell me which "local DIY shop" sells it? I've drawn a blank at mine.

Thanks,
Barry M
Kellys of Monkseaton sell it. Probably find it in the Yellow Pages...They also stock 5'x5' sheets of 1.5mm ply for modellers...and will cut the sheets up into strips instead of making you buy the whole sheet. E-mail me and I will act as go-between if required. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:12:31 pm »

Bryan,

I really appreciate your offer of help but the logistics involved of transferring the goodies from Monkseaton to Livingston are too much to ask.  I have decided to go the Limewood sheet route on the basis that cost is reasonable, grain is negligible and it will stain to any colour I want.

Thanks again for your help.

Barry M 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.