Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viper 15 ESC  (Read 2274 times)

tomocj

Viper 15 ESC
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:52 am »

Hi all ,
      New to boating a recent convert from aero .I purchased a Mtronics Viper marine 15 ESC  and set it up on the bench with the motor and spectrum Rx it all went as it should the first time motor control worked forward and reverse,switched it off and tried again 5 mins later smoke from the ESC(where the Rx joins the unit)no short circuits The unit now powers the motor but the switch or throttle control on my Tx have no effect on the motor it just runs?
I have read on other threads that similar problems have occurred with this unit .
In contact with the seller and Mtroncs not too hopefull as I did change the battery connection for a deans.
my question is what could of caused it ?
what speed control unit would you recommend for a Deans ASRL?
Thanks in advance Chris

Proteus

Re: Viper 15 ESC
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:40 am »

as its a fast boat go for a Electronize as they can be repaired, I prefer them and have used them in that type and size of hull.

http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

Proteus

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:04:34 am »

I did change the battery connection for a deans.
At a guess, the power neg wire was not as connected as you thought.  As a result, all the motor power was trying to go down the thin wire to the RX.  This protested by vaporising itself.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tomocj

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:11 am »

further to my last ,it did work as intended ,I switched it off went for a cuppa ,Came back switched on again then it fried,so do not think wire neg was connected wrong otherwise it would of fried the first time?
Been in touch with model dockyard they will exchange the unit ,great service.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:28 pm »

A friend also had his working Mtronics go up in smoke, sent it back, a replacement arrived 3 days later....
  and another one the day after that.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigH

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 04:54:13 pm »

{:-{ Mine did exactly the same only now it will only run one way despite any configuration that I input in to it.   H

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:24 pm »

I had a 25a one that failed ,no reverse ,only full power and off on forwards and blue smoke from reciever side .Had a word with the guys at Mtronics and sent it back ,unfortunatly it could not be repaired as the reverse fet had blown but they did replace it for £20 , dont forget a new one would cost nearly £40. .
And i had the new one back within the week , now thats fast.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.