Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Coastlines  (Read 1933 times)

tony52

Changing Coastlines
« on: October 22, 2008, 10:39:07 pm »

Is anyone interested in the changing shape of the UK (and other countries for that matter). I am fascinated by the coastal erosion taking place on the Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire coast on the East, and the Lancashire coast on the west. The sea is not only taking from these areas but is depositing and forming a peninsula on the Kent coast. Villages under the sea on the east. Surprisingly one of the fastest places where the sea is coming in is not on the east, but Formby point (where red squirells live), near Southport, on the west coast.

The planned managed retreat over the next 20 to 50 years from the Norfolk villages is interesting, although the people living in these areas, will suffer. Houses worth £1 etc.

Tony.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Changing Coastlines
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:44:08 pm »

I attended a lecture on the Isle of Wight a few years back. The whole Island is collapsing into the sea on all sides. You need to be very careful indeed when buying a house in certain areas.

If the Norfolk scheme goes through as suggested, my Mother in Law's house, currently four miles inland, is likely to end up on the new seafront!

Colin

Reade Models

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:21 pm »

If the Norfolk scheme goes through as suggested, my Mother in Law's house, currently four miles inland, is likely to end up on the new seafront!

Colin

Or worse?

Malc

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:17:41 pm »

The planned managed retreat over the next 20 to 50 years from the Norfolk villages is interesting, although the people living in these areas, will suffer. Houses worth £1 etc.

Tony.

Apparently, after driving down the value of half the houses here in Norfolk and making them even harder to sell than they already were, some nameless Top Neddy in the Department of Excuses has now said they were only thinking out loud and there's not really any such plan!

I bet he lives in Notting Hill....

Rick

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 02:53:36 pm »

Rick, I have seen it, the future all looks pretty grim for our east coast. There was some debate a while back that large scale sand dredging and removal offshore contributed in no small way to to erosion and changing coastlines in our area. If someone in Neddiesville discoverd that to be truly the case, do you think they would ever make the fact known to the public....... HMMMM.
The word 'compensation' would immediately spring to mind and the whole lot would get shoved under the desk I suspect.

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:08:19 pm »

Tony52, this is not a new pheonomena caused by global warming.
It is a known fact that the Tectonicplate on which the Britsh Isles sits on is actually tilting on an axis whereby the southeast is sinking with the northwest rising( basicall in a nutshell) and has been doing so slowly for thousands of years.
Inevitable, but it's something that the green lobby and global warmers have latched onto?? <:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.