Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STUPID OR WHAT  (Read 3601 times)

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
STUPID OR WHAT
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:07:01 am »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: STUPID OR WHAT
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:20:36 am »

Not the first idiot, and he won't be the last.

I wonder if it is the same guy.

From BBC News
Thursday, 10 August, 2000, 12:23 GMT 13:23 UK
Action sought against 'irresponsible' sailor

Eric Abbott has exasperated the coastguard service

"Exasperated" coastguards are investigating whether they can take action against an amateur sailor who has had to be rescued from the Irish Sea seven times in the past year.
The latest rescue operation in the Rhyl Estuary on Thursday morning came just 48 hours after Eric Abbott had radioed for help for the sixth time.

Coastguard and Marine Safety Agency 
The 56-year-old, from Northwich in Cheshire, uses a 1997 copy of the AA Road Atlas to sail across the Irish Sea and has admitted on several occasions that he does not know where he is.

A spokesperson for Holyhead Coastguard said Mr Abbott radioed an SOS call to Holyhead coastguard at 0819 BST on Thursday to say he was having trouble bringing his boat into the estuary.

A Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) boat was sent to his rescue but by the time they arrived Mr Abbott had run aground.

Just 48 hours earlier lifeboat crews had spent nearly an hour trying to locate Mr Abbott's 24ft home-made yacht after he radioed for help during a trip from Howth, near Dublin, to Amlwch in Anglesey.

Mr Abbott, who said he enjoyed going out to sea alone to "find himself", has no official navigation system on his boat - named Plus VAT as a protest against tax.

The Coastguard and Maritime Agency, who said Mr Abbott had cost lifeboat services an estimated £30,000, have pleaded with him to equip himself with proper sea charts.

A spokesperson for the agency said: "Yet again, Mr Abbott failed to file a traffic report to us before setting sail, which is what any skipper knows he should do.

"You would think after being rescued for another time and after being given a stern talking to he would not go to sea again.

"This man is irresponsible and we are investigating to see if there is anything we can do.

"He should think about the cost, because launching a fully manned lifeboat is an expensive operation and, of course, he could be putting the lives of others at risk."

He added: "Coastguard officers all over the UK are having to nanny him from port to port, and he has been given a speech about navigation, but he doesn't seem to take it seriously."

Holyhead coastguard has co-ordinated six rescues but it has emerged that lifeboat crews from Liverpool, Belfast and Milford Haven have also had to come to his aid.

Mr Abbott began building his yacht 18 years ago when he lost his job as a painter.

He first set sail from Rhyl, north Wales, in July last year, blaming Margaret Thatcher and Chancellor Gordon Brown for forcing him out to sea.

When you are out there on your own, the Irish Sea can be quite a big place

Eric Abbott 
"I am a novice, but I love sailing - it is a tremendous escape," Mr Abbott said.

"I suppose the lifeboat service in the UK and in Ireland may be a bit fed up with me, but really I never mean to get into trouble.

"Some people may hammer me for not doing this and that.

"When you are out there on your own, the Irish Sea can be quite a big place. I have one map but it isn't that detailed.

"If I had the money, I would donate some to the RNLI, but the only thing I can do as a thank you gesture is include them in my will."

Holyhead watch manager Geoff Lunt said coastguards were increasingly "exasperated" with Mr Abbott but nothing could be done to prevent him from going out to sea.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:53:25 am »

Plymouth Hoe - 15 November 1577:

First Coastguard: "There goes that b****y fool Drake again -  talk about Captain Calamity!"

Second Coastguard: "Yea, off to find the "New World" - and not even an AA book to help him."

While I don't condone anyone causing the emergency services any unnecessary risks, this country does have a long- and sometimes troubled - history of individuals doing their own thing Long may it continue

Rick

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:40 am »

Third Coastguard: "I hope he remembers to bring me back some rolly tobacco this time."

Considering the West Indies got thier name because somebody thought they had found a new route to India  {-)

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:06:42 pm »

The guy in the Irish sea is a totally different chap, who has been now warned that if he tries any more stunts, he will be charged with offenses. he is a total d......d who has in the past few years, cost the emergency services over 500K with his doomed exploits.
A total imbecile, to put it politely.

Oh and if people don't know how stupid this guy is:

(one of his stunts wa to set sail for the mediterranean in an unsound boat, with no formal navigation skills, no radio, ( only a mobile pay as you go phone for communications,that wasn't even capable of making international calls) and a childrens school atlas for charts. <:( <:( {:-{

(another was to attempt to sail accross the Irish sea, in a similarly "WELL" equipped boat using an AA road atlas as a navigation aid.............. the mind boggles with disbelief............ {-) {-) <:(

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:02 pm »

This bloke is certainly adventurous... but an idiot! It is people like this who lead to more legislation and restrictions being imposed on all of us by the 'Nanny State'. Imagine if there were more like him, it wouldn't take long before some energetic deskbound pillock from nanniesville decided to protect everyone by passing some law making it impossible or illegal to put to sea unless they had undertaken an expensive course in this and that, had their boat compulsory MOT'd at massive expense and been made to conform in so many expensive and impossible ways that it would make a 'day out in the boat' a domain for the rich. This kind of stupid and irresponsible behaviour can have repercussions for everyone.. we've seen the blunt instrument of government used many times before!
Whilst I, like so many others enjoy the freedoms still left to us and am indeed proud of the British spirit of adventure, we dont need some incompetent twit screwing up a tradition and freedom we all enjoy to this day.
In another thread entitled 'drunks' I said there were 'grey areas' where people should be charged for the damage and expense caused by irresponsible behaviour, in this regard, this bloke should indeed be made to pay for the huge expense he has incurred and in my mind this is no grey area.
I woulsd suggest  one last warning then either confiscate his boat and make him pay.... or leave the silly sod to his own devices!
See how the laws can creep in!!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:13:45 pm »

Anybody with more sense of adventure than brain power can make a mistake once.  To make the same type of mistake seven times after being repeatedly given advice is either stupid or malicious or possibly both.  The trouble is that if the RNLI took action against him, being a private organisation, they might get a judgement against him, but if he has no cash resources, they will get nowt but a lawyers bill to add to whatever donated resources he has already wasted.  I don't know what HM Coastguard can do, either. 
It is idiots like this who cause the rest of us grief because they provide the thin end of the wedge for more and more restrictive legislation "for our own good". 
Perhaps the RAF could use him for target practice?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:16:31 pm »

Dear Sheerline,

I agree with you. Furthermore, and what makes it worse, is that when new laws and procedures are brought in to counter such idiots, all those involved with such sport and recreation in a responsible way get tarred with the same brush - and at a cost. I am not involved, but I would sympathise with anyone/all if they were affected - which they will surely be in the end for as long as people like this are allowed to do what they do.

Regards, Bernard

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »

Hi sheerline, I agree with you totally in a number of ways, but think of it this way.......If we venture onto the roads with no training and an unroadworthy vehicle.we break the law and put other road users lives at risk.
It is just the same at sea.
If this guy puts to sea he not only puts his own life at risk but ALL the lives of those who go out to save the pillock.
There has to be some form of restriction upon people putting to sea without training.
Even if it is only a COMPULSARY third part insurance that will cover the costs of such rescues caused by such an idiot.
and if it is found that such a brainless moron has none once he has been rescued, then his boat is confiscated in order to recoupe some of the costs.
But these days there are a constant stream of recreation sailers who have absolutely no idea of the power of the seas, and wouldn't even consider ventureing onto the roads without a policy to cover the costs of their machine...but when it comes to a boat.......no deterant so they couldn't give a fig for the trouble they cause.
Genuine hardened sailors would not mind in the least. >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:29:24 pm »

Plenty of people driving on our roads with no tax and insurance. As the fine is only about half the likely insurance premium it pays them to do so. Speed cameras don't catch them!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:52 pm »

More than one Captain Calamity ..oh yes , one of them from Essex even made it to the Shetlands . Tried to circumnavigate the British Isles in a rowing boat.
..well can you land on this?

Les

• Shipmate
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 02:16:03 pm »

Here's another one.

But it might just be the same one that's been around the Irish Sea!

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7681583.stm for the full story

Les

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 02:56:08 pm »

The waters in and around the Menai Straights are notoriously tricky and have caught out experienced sailors as well as the novice.

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 05:01:53 pm »

Yep, he's the one, but with a different boat to his last two stunts with road atlases.This boat seams reasonable!!! >>:-(

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 11:31:02 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 22 queries.