Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint cans spray problems  (Read 5010 times)

tomocj

paint cans spray problems
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:10 am »

Hi,Further to my earlier question on masking all was going well. been using Hycote acrylic primers and matt black they went on well but I was going to go over the red primer below water line with Carmine red ,I shook the can as recommended and practised on a scrap piece of wood (been reading the forum)the paint came out in spots (for want of a more technical term)shook can etc and tried again same result glad it was not on my hull.
My question is can I leave the GF hull as it is ie covered in red primer as it looks a better under waterline colour any way??
If not I have some plasti-kote fast dry enamel in insignia red (brush on)from my aero modeling days will this be ok to apply to the red acrylic primer.
I used Hycote brand of paint as it was available in my local motor parts shop.will go to halfords for the next project .
Let me know your thoughts please .
Chris

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: paint cans spray problems
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:40:25 am »

You can leave it as primer though you might want to give it a coat of exterior varnish, matt or satin finish, as it gives it a harder finish.

Good advice is to use only one make of paint, either acrylic or enamel as different types and makes do not always mix. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:10:47 pm »

tomocj

I agree with DD!

Your carmine red coming out in spots - can't diagnose the problem from here, but possible reasons are : 
Blocked nozle - take it off and soak in cellulose thinners or nail varnish remover - take it apart and clean it out - blow thru with air or something similar
Paint too thick:  shake for 2 minutes after the balls rattle (the ones in the can) and/or stand can in tepid water for 10 minutes to help it flow - also encourages the propellant
Something else - throw the can away!

Me, I like the look of red oxide primer below the w/l

andrew

John C

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:36:16 pm »

Like wise................I found to my cost that plastikote doesn't mix well with other makes of paint, although it does take ronseal well as a sealer afterwards.

Plastikote also carries a warning on the spray cans that unless you let the paint set up properly (36 hours) it may wrinkle if oversprayed, but I've only found this to happen on metal parts so far.

Hope this helps

John

mick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 07:28:47 pm »

Simple rules ain't they..never mix paints....brands etc....Halfords red primer looks great below the water line...you can purchase from car accessories shops, a cover spray paint that will stablise the under coat....then re-spray your topcoat...mick

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:13:59 am »

Simple rules ain't they..never mix paints....brands etc....

Simple for you lucky guys in the West maybe.
 :'( :'(
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tomocj

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:41 am »

Thanks for the advice ,I will stick with the red oxide primer under the W/L and grey primer hull deck etc then coat with varnish . Ronseal has been mentioned ,I had my hands on yacht varnish today and was wondering if any good ?(did not buy until I asked advice on here ,I'm careful with money)
I like to keep things simple it's easier at my age.
Any thoughts welcomed thanks again .
                        Chris (Ross on Wye)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:24 am »

Don't use yacht varnish as the UV filters in it give it a yellow tint and it's also slightly flexible . It's best not to use quick dry acrylic (water based) varnishes either. The best coating in the view of most people is the Ronseal interior polyurethane varnish, either matt or satin finish depending on your preference.

Colin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:52:04 pm »

I use Halford's Acrylic primer red and gray. The red is on the lower part of the hull and the gray top with a black wide line through them .Used Humbrol mat (modelshop) varnish to seal it all.

I've had that, the paint can spitting out instead of spraying. Shook it longer sat it in the sun (not too long) inverted it and sprayed out what was in the nozzle. Took the nozzle off and  used a toothbrush and very thin piece of wire and gave it a cleaning. Sometimes this works, not always, so I just  try an alternative brand.

But now I don't take a chance I just return it. Infuriating, isn't it !!!. The black always seems to be the worst.

Has anybody mentioned the Badger air brush ?

Seaspray

PT Sideshow

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 11:47:43 am »

Part of the problem with the spotting,sputtering of paint is dirty nozzles and lager pigment in the paint. All of the previous mentioned methods help some times. But having used rattle cans for years painting magic and clown props. after turning the can upside down, and spraying to clear when the can is empty. I have a parts drawer in one of the small multi drawer units that I put  all the working spray heads in. Then if you have a bad one you can always change it out :-))

This has saved me many times when the nozzle or the lift tube gets clogged on a new can. There are a number of styles of spray heads stemmed ones, ones that slip over a tube in the top of the can and ones that have a removable pattern nozzle in the spray head so you can spray vertical or horizontal with wide coverage and not have to tilt the can.

Not that it would been much use on ship models, But if you are looking for mud spatter, or multi colored paint splatter and spots of paint effect. Say on deck cargo, you can take a # 11 type exacto blade (hobby knife) and score a line across the nozzle opening. Will give you a one type of pattern, more scores and at different angles will give different patterns.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »

One bit of advice I was given a long time ago.
If not completely happy with the results on a test piece DITCH IT.
Also read the cans with halfords, there are still some cellulose cans about.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

craftysod

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 03:16:08 pm »

One of the problems i found a few years ago,was spattering,this was caused by the massed production of spray cans,and because they cant test everyone,the couple of cans i got did not have nowhere enough pressure/gas in them resulting in spattery spurts
thats my tuppence worth

mark

andygh

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 03:19:53 pm »

As someone already said, just swap the nozzle with another can, simple as that %)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.