Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which RC gear for a newbie  (Read 4170 times)

nileon

Which RC gear for a newbie
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:19 am »

Hi All

This is my first foray into the word of model boats and in particular yachts.  I have just bought an Aussie 11 boat off ebay.  I know it is quite small but was cheap and want see how I get on before investing more money.
What I need to get is some radio gear to go with it.  I have been considering either the Futaba 2ER, Hitec Ranger or AcomsTechniplus sets.  Cost is a factor but I also want some thing I can use in the future if I get a larger boat.  Does anyone have experience or advice on these radio sets.
Any advice greatly welcome. 

wideawake

Re: Which RC gear for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:25:06 am »

Hi nileon

Welcome to the madhouse!   You'll get plenty of good advice here, both general and about the specific sets you mention.   Personally, if you're starting from scratch, I'd advise getting one of the 2.4GHz equipments.    It's certainly true that, now that many people are changing to 2.4GHz, there are lots of 40MHz sets available cheaply but IMHO the benefits of 2.4GHz outweigh the extra costs.  There are several manufacturers of 2.4GHz gear including well-known ones and less known companies selling via the internet.  I personally use a couple of Spektrum sets and also one Turborix (internet, Hongkong).   All are fine but with varying levels of convenience and facilities.

If you post your thoughts on what I've said, I'm sure others will offer further suggestions and I'll happily expand on 2.4GHz if you wish.

HTH

Cheers

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:24:50 am »

I have been considering either the Futaba 2ER, Hitec Ranger or AcomsTechniplus sets.  Cost is a factor ...

Welcome aboard Nileon

All of these are perfectly good radios. If cost is the main factor, just buy the cheapest from a good manufacturer that you can find. Not the cheap toy grade RCs.

I have 3 Futaba 2ER, they have a range of about 3-400m. You will not be sailing that far. The furthest I have sailed was about 200m, and to be honest, after 100m it gets difficult to see which way the boat is headed, at 200m it was more luck than judgement to keep her headed where I wanted.

The size of the boat is not a factor. My pipe dream is a 3m model, and I would have no hesitation in using the 2ER.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Flying Sparks

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:55:26 pm »

Hi Nileon

Given a choice always go for 2.4Ghz  :-)) no worrying about other users on your channel, no pegs required, less likley to pick up intereference from speed controllers etc, etc. Unless you want a submarine though!

Phil.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »

Hi All

This is my first foray into the word of model boats and in particular yachts.  ...
What I need to get is some radio gear to go with it.  ...
Any advice greatly welcome. 

Hi - you don't tell us if you are an experienced radio modeller who is moving to boats, or a beginner to radio generally.

If you are asking about radios I guess that you might be the latter? Assuming you are in the UK, the first thing you need to be aware of is the appropriate transmitter frequency to purchase. These are:

27Mhz - original modelling frequency, now much used by toys so interference might be a problem. If you are sailing on a pond with other users you will find a spare pair of different crystals useful to change frequency so you don't clash with someone else. 27Mhz is good for submarines, since it can go some way through water. 27Mhz sets are usually cheap, but lack sophistication and extra features. Can be used for all radio control.

35Mhz - newer frequency specified for use in the UK by AIRCRAFT ONLY. Do not buy this for a boat or car.

40Mhz - newer frequency specified for use in the UK by SURFACE VEHICLES, INCLUDING BOATS. Do not buy this for an aircraft. This is the most common frequency for boat hobbyists - very similar to 27Mhz, but usually more expensive and sophisticated transmitters. Spare crystals are useful again.

458/9 Mhz - old frequency - still theoretically usable but no one makes transmitters for this at the moment. Can be used for all radio control.

2.4Ghz - very new frequency - used as a general wireless service for all sorts of things. Interference should not be a problem like all the other frequencies because the 2.4 Ghz systems send encoded data packets which are tied to a particular transmitter/receiver pair. Were originally very expensive, but now are dropping in price rapidly - see http://www.giantcod.co.uk/parts-systems-c-40.html for example. 2.4Ghz will not go through water, so no good for submarines. There is some talk about needing care with aerial positioning for marine use - if under the waterline there might be problems - but I have heard of no proven problems, and many people claim no problem whatsoever. Can be used for all radio control.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 02:21:41 pm »

I have 13 boats using the Futaba 2ER.

2 channels is enough for me as I dont have working lights etc and if I have multiple motors then ACTion Electronics normally do a gizmo to solve any problems.

I also do not want to keep changing receivers over from boat to boat, so I have one in every boat. Cant afford that on the 2.4 system.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:58:20 pm »

I have 13 boats using the Futaba 2ER.

I also do not want to keep changing receivers over from boat to boat, so I have one in every boat. Cant afford that on the 2.4 system.

I think there's a lot to be said for the old 27Mhz systems - that frequency does not suffer from shadowing problems like 2.4 is said to do. But I have no problems with cost of 2.4 receivers - they're £10 at GC. Can you get 27Mhz receivers much cheaper, DickyD?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 12:55:32 pm »

27Mhz - original modelling frequency, now much used by toys so interference might be a problem.

The toy sets cause no problems, they are very low power. I have had the opposite problem, I take my boat on the water everybodies toys have their ranges reduced to 10 feet. So there are then dead toys on the water  :embarrassed:
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 01:27:40 pm »

I think there's a lot to be said for the old 27Mhz systems - that frequency does not suffer from shadowing problems like 2.4 is said to do. But I have no problems with cost of 2.4 receivers - they're £10 at GC. Can you get 27Mhz receivers much cheaper, DickyD?

Do these Giant Cod systems have CE approval yet ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »

Do these Giant Cod systems have CE approval yet ?

According to the importer they were imported with a CE certificate, which he holds a copy of. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/gianitcod-24ghz-4channel-mode2-transmitter-p-403779.html refers.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 03:46:41 pm »

The toy sets cause no problems, they are very low power. I have had the opposite problem, I take my boat on the water everybodies toys have their ranges reduced to 10 feet. So there are then dead toys on the water  :embarrassed:

Of course, depending on the size and attitude of the person running the toy, interference might still be a problem... <*<
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.