Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a good starter Yacht  (Read 9113 times)

steamboatbob

What is a good starter Yacht
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:28:17 am »

Hi guys just wondering about yacht kits and what would be a good starter kit

i have no experience in sailing but am loking around at a smallish one hull length probably around the 600-700 mark

please i do need some help

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What is a good starter Yacht
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:33 am »

In that size range.

I have a Thunder Tiger Victoria about under 70cm long and only draws about 45cm so good in a shallow pond.
Only takes a few hours to assemble, you will need to buy a sail arm servo and have a radio set. Sails well for an ARTR model.
Martin Mayhem built one a while back and did a build log. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4231.0

The Nirvana has a big following and only takes about 10 minutes to assemble I believe. I think one option is to buy with radio.

There is another one called the (Ithink) Micro Magic by (Ithink) Grapuner. Also very popular.

This size is also very easy to transport in the car fully rigged.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:23:50 pm »

There are two versions of "Micro Magic". The "basic" and the "sport" not a lot of difference but the "sport" is better. There is a growing following for these little yachts with dedicated clubs and league events. It is a smashing yacht and looks very much the part.

I sail and enjoy a "Laser". This is a one specification yacht, no building, comes complete with radio and can be rigged and de-rigged in 5 minutes. It has a dedicated carrying bag (an extra).

By one spec. I mean you can change nothing if you intend to compete. There is a dedicated club in the UK and in many countries. It has a single sail but handles well in a wide range of winds from the slightest of breeze to a full blow!

Try putting the name of any yacht you are interested in into a search engine and you will soon gather info.

With most yachts, you do need at least 75cms. of water depth to sail because they have a deep fin and bulb to counterbalance the forces on the sail.

Roger in France.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »

With most yachts, you do need at least 75cms. of water depth to sail because they have a deep fin and bulb to counterbalance the forces on the sail.

This may be the case with the one meters Roger,
Not so with the wee ones though.
Only 9" draft with the Victoria,

Weeds

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 05:52:22 pm »

The RC Laser is so easy to sail. It's also collapsible, tough, and virtually maintenance free. Our local sailing club has several Lasers that anyone is welcome to play with. Even 10 year olds have an easy time catching wind with this model. Theirs is B rigged and we sail in 10 mph winds with gusts up to 17 mph. 

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:57:18 pm »

For those not in the know....

A "Laser" is supplied with alternative sails for different wind strengths, hence "A, "B" and "C" rigs. I think there is also another permitted rig since I bought mine.

Roger in France.

steamboatbob

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 02:14:51 am »

thanks guys for your help

i am really keen to get into the yachts is there a yacht kit out there that uses plank on frame and is still looking like a nice new style of yacht as i do like my plank on frame models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 04:34:53 am »

The only kits I know of of modern racing boats all have a plastic or FG hull.

A more simple scratch build would be the RG65 and I think plans are free on the internet.
This boat is 65cm long so is about the size you want. I have seen beginers build one of these.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:29:48 am »

Hi steamboatbob, do you have a club nearby or perhaps your one has sailing boat sailors.  A lot of fun can be had sailing a similar boat with others.
All the above seem fine, there are many longer builds but for my money get something simple and keep the interest up and then you may want to move on to something bigger but you will know where you are going.
Best of luck, its much harder using the wind than it looks and there in lies the fun.
Roy

tony23

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:06:47 pm »

go for a Micro Magic there are 2 models to choose from standard and racing they also have there own association http://www.magicmicro.org/news.php some more links http://www.swanleypark.co.uk/id54.html  http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_micromagic_racing.html  :-))

nharvey

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 07:44:06 pm »

As stated previously RG65 is a good size to start with and free plans available, just enter rg65 in search engine, plenty of good sites but not UK.

contact:  <kiff@f2s.com>  who has built a few plank on frame IOM's and RG65

Neil

Islander1951

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:19:46 pm »

The Nimbus is a plank on frame racing yacht (IOM) , and the plans can be obtained from Traplet, of MMI fame.
   Not a bad boat for club sailing, goes OK with carbon fin and rudder.
       Good Luck!
                                         Islander.

AndyT

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:47:40 pm »

Not that I am biased to Footys ok2 but why not have a go at either a
Kittiwake  http://www.scalesailing.com/uk.htm or
Microyacht http://microyachts.com/Home_Page.html or a
Lajabless http://www.freewebs.com/heroncomposites/lajabless.htm

Referred to as Footys, because they have to fit in a box a foot long and a foot deep
All these kits are well designed and sail well - their small size means you can take it to the lake rigged and lets you have lots of FUN.

steamboatbob

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 07:31:16 am »

i have now been introduced to the micro magics as they are a relatively cheap starter and they are gaining momentum as a racing class in my neck of the woods. they are very hard to get hold of though but i shall persist

i also found a yacht called the "racing sparrow"

this is a plank on frame and a book can be purchased to help people build the plans and after looking at the book i have found them to be very in depth and detailed the sparrow plans can be found on line here in a variety of sizes (375, 750, 1000, 1500) that can be printed out on A4 printer pages and cut from there :-))

http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/

but thanks guys for all your help it was a necessity as local knowledge from some of the local clubs was a pain in the rear end as they only wanted to hear about you joining the club and put their noses in the air when i mentioned that i just sail for fun. %)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 02:36:07 am »

***Topic split***
New topic on 'Converting pond yacht to RC' created

Nordsee

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 04:17:27 pm »

Hi, read my Post, Dulcibelle, if you are intersested get in touch and I will pass on the relevant details.

daz

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 06:40:26 pm »

Hi,
    I can say that the racing micro magic is quik andeasy to build and sails well.
I built mine in about 2 weeks.
We have about 10 in are club now and race on saterday afternoons so not to upset the electric boys on a sunday.
Try the web site magicmicro.org
Best Regards
Daz

steamboatbob

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 11:19:10 pm »

here is my micro magic, I have been using it for around a year now and have had little problems with it i just made a few tweaks and she goes like a rocket and seeing as they were so cheap we have a league of them in our city of 15 boats which is awesome

daz

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 09:41:45 am »

Hi Here are some pic's of micro magics racing at are club.
This is the second year we have held the challenge cup which runs all year long.
And every year we get more mm's in the club.

tony23

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:49 am »

are these the racing versions?

daz

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

yes they are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.