Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Flower Class Corvette for the Rookie.  (Read 12446 times)

RoyP

Revell Flower Class Corvette for the Rookie.
« on: October 24, 2008, 12:13:52 pm »

As suggested elsewhere thought I would start a new build thread for the Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette kit, as a complete beginner perhaps it will also help those in a similar position who’s boat building experience is zero.
And from the raw beginner’s point of view I will be asking lots of questions, which to some may seem obvious so I apologise before I start.

Made a start by putting the hull together and making good the joins etc, now come the questions:

Have an MFA-385 6volt motor and from what I have learnt from elsewhere this will be suitable, but what battery would be recommended and how long a run time?

Is the kit propeller suitable and what type of prop shaft, what are the benefits of with or without an oiler tube?

Looking at people’s models it seems some have a planked deck and some have a mixture of steel and wood.
According to the ‘Pearson’ site and I quote - The first RN Flowers had wood on the bow forward of the 4" platform, in the focsle break and aft around the depthcharge throwers as seen in this drawing of HMS Begonia. Other wood could be seen on the bridge and boat decks.

Now this is where I really show my ignorance where is the focsle break, whereabouts aft and boat decks, guidance would be appreciated.

To remove the planking is it fine emery and elbow grease also is it an idea to remove the various bollard etc locators.

Thanks,
Roy.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell Flower Class Corvette for the Rookie.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:17:26 pm »

Hi Roy, Maybe I can start with one or two answers and some of the other more knowledgeable members can fill in some of the other bits.  Dicky is particularly well versed in Corvettes so I'm sure he'll have some bits to add as well.

Firstly a 385 motor should be plenty to propel this model.  It doesn't have much displacement or draught so doesn't need a great deal of power to get above scale speed.  You will normally find that people have a bit in reserve to get them out of trouble but try to resist the temptation to go flying around the pond at what would be a scale equivilent of 50 knots or more!!

My Corvette has a brass, three bladed, 42mm RH prop fited which I am sure you can get from either SHG or "The Prop Shop" and they may well even be able to advise to as to the best prop to fit.

As for shafts, the Rolls Royce would be a tube fitted with a ball bearing at either end.  "The Prop Shop" can make these up for you to whatever length you want so you can locate the motor exactly where you want to put it.  The alternative is a tube with a plain bush in either end, probably plastic.  These are cheaper but you may get a bit of lubricant leakage as the bush has to have a clearance.  Don't forget to allow for the coupling when you are thinking about this and go for either a double UV joint or a flexible tube type, which should be fine for such a low powered application.  A single UV coupling only allows for angular misalignement not parallel displacement so is not as good as a double.

As this model has been converted to RC operation hundreds of times I am sure that either of the above vendors can advise you as to the complete transmission options and then supply you with the bits.

I would definately go for a tube with an oiler tube as you can then keep it lubricated without having to dismantle it again. A low power motor such as the 385 would be better with a light lubricant in the tube so oil or a very thin grease would be best.  If it was me I would go for oil in a tube fitted with two ball bearings but I am sure there are others with different ideas and cost is also a factor here.

Battery's are as varied as your imagination but I would suggest a 6V gell cell of a size suitable to do a high percentage of your ballasting.  More in a minute.  The a/hr rating will determine your duration and the bigger the a/hr figure the longer it will last and the bigger the battery will be.  Obvious really.

I would go back first though and do somne thinking and trials in the bath to try to get the most out of your available space.  You need to put the complete hull in the bath and then fill it with the bits that are going to be included in the model.  That is motor, fittings, the rest of the model ( weigh the peices on the kitchen scales and then add bits of a similar weight to your hull)  Don't forget anything that you intend adding to the model.  When you have done that your hull should be floating high above it's water line.  Take it out and weight it on the scales.  Put it back in the bath and add more weights to take the hull down to the level you want it to sail at.  Take it out and weight it.

Take the two weights away and you then have the ballast requirement.  Of that you want to go for about 80% for the battery and the remains gives you a bit of freedom to adjust at the end.

You now know how much weight you can spare for the battery and so you want to buy the biggest 6V unit with the highest a/hr rating up to that weight.

That's the jist of it anyway.  If that sounds too complicated let me know and I'll try to explain a bit clearer.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:10:29 pm »

Hi Roy there are two of my postings on here that might help you.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5226.0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1272.0

Hope this helps. Need to know anything else just shout, :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:37 pm »

Roy, as for your planking, I would suggest the foc's'le break is the wave deflector just in front of the 4" gun platform.  If you wanted to remove deck detail I would try to avoid removing such things as bollards as you are only going to have to replace them again.  I would get a very clean sharp wood chisel of about 1/4" blade with a perfectly square true end.  To be safe buy a new one!  Then scrape any unwanted detail off with that.  It will remove raised detail such as planking lines and will go around bollards etc quite easily.

What are your thoughts with planking, paint up the kit deck or fit your own wood?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:35 pm »

I just sanded the foc'sle on mine , but left the anchor chain runs as is, turned out all right. I also am using a 385 motorwith a 7.2 volt battery as it gives loads of time. Check out Cornwall Models Boats for a brass propeller. The prop shaft was from them as well and then drilled and fitted one of their oiler fittings.

Must get back to work on mine soon.
Robert

Wiggy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:45 pm »

Hi Roy,
Just received a new book by John Lambert and Les Brown about 'Flower Class Corvettes', See in the 'Chit-chat' section for details.

Cheers,

Paul.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:22:23 pm »

Any pictures yet Roy?

RoyP

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:52 am »

Nothing to show so far, only basics of hull together, need to buy a few bits and pieces now, perhaps at the Warwick Show, then I can follow some of the advice above regarding the bath and weight etc.

Regards,
Roy

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:26:46 pm »

Oh lucky devil, the Warwick show is great. I went last year, there was one club who had loads of flower class corvettes on their stand. Thats the place to go because you'll get all your questions answered in one spot face to face.
Probably won't go this year, as its abit of a drive from Devon, but enjoy it, there is loads of information and models on display and everyone id really friendly.
Robert

Ariel

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:00:23 pm »

Hi Roy,

I re-joined mayhem today having picked up your thread on the Corvette.....

3 weeks ago you emailed me for the Acanthus article - (my old call sign marcus is use by someone else now on the forum so I have a new log in)

I hope you got the article safely, It sounds like you will be getting a lot of good advice on the forum - the corvette is a popular build with many as you may have guessed by now. Earlier in the thread Wiggy mentions a new book by Les Brown and John Lambert, the Acanthus that your article refers to is also shown on the cover of this book , I took the photo at Eastleigh just after she was completed.

Good luck with the build - you have my email address if you need to contact me please do.

Mark

RoyP

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:16:09 pm »

Hi Mark,

Yes article received, with many thanks it was very kind of you and I have in fact just today ordered the new Corvette book so look forward to reading it before deciding which 'Flower' I will attempt to build.

Regards,
Roy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 05:24:35 pm »

You sound like you have been bitten by the model boat bug Roy.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RoyP

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »

Could be!!!! Also have just had a Birthday and a gift of money to spend, hopefully the book will help me put together something that looks near right and not straight out of the box.

Roy.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:33 pm »

hmmm, money for the new build, sounds like a trip to Warwick is in order, lots of goodies to buy there O0

RoyP

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 06:55:30 pm »

If I was to use the kit prop, as used elswhere how do I fit it to the prop shaft?
I assume that a brass prop has a 4mm thread.

Thanks,
Roy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 06:59:35 pm »

Roy,
Either cut a 4mm thread in the prop and don't overtighten or carefully drill out the prop till it is a tight fit on the propshaft and epoxy on.
One thing to remember with the kit prop is if it hits something or weed tightens around it a blade can break off then a lot of cleaning required to fit a brass prop.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Ariel

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 01:38:11 pm »

Hi Roy

Bob makes a valid point here about the plastic prop and its potential weakness

To avoid risk I would simply fit a Rabosech 3 bladed 30mm fine pitch brass prop to a commercially sourced threaded matching shaft and tube,
For best results couple this to a 6 volt motor that is low drain and low revving such as the 6 volt electronize 540-12 - run it from a 6volt 4amp hour gell cell
(See the pictures that I sent you I think it shows the layout in one of them)

This set up will provide a long running time and keep plenty in reserve without over-powering the model

Regards
Mark 

RoyP

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »

Mark:
Thanks for the above, does it matter if its RH or LH and what's the difference, show's I'm a begineer as I have no idea.

Regards,
Roy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:50:41 pm »

The MFA 385 with the same prop and a 7.2 buggy pack sails well too.
Always remember with this model to ballast her down deep, to the top on the boot topping and she will sail like the real thing.
If you ballast her light they do tend to "bob" and look a bit toyish.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

amdaylight

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:36 pm »

Some motors are set up to run in one direction better than the other. It won't make any difference either way as to how the ship goes through the water. The only time that it might make a difference is when trying to dock it and it will want to walk sideways one way or the other due to the rotation of the propeller.  O0 :-))

Andre Anderson :-))

over yonder in Portland Oregon

farrow

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 09:38:06 pm »

Hi Roy, Shipmate 60, engined my boat and if you ask him he will give a full tech description, it is powered by two 7.2 volt nicad batteries in paralle and she runs beautifully and reliably for hours.

RoyP

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 04:28:51 pm »

Hi all,

Sorry to disappoint all those that have given me encouragement but I have decided that my Corvette will be for the windowsill only, not RC.

Having been to Warwick today and spent an hour at lunch time watching the boats on the pond, decided that I don't think that this is for me, in my humble opinion many looked like corks bobbing about on the water only the very large models seemed to look like a scale ships to me, but I accept that others think differently.

So thanks again to those that have tried to keep me on board.

Regards,
Roy.

The long Build

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 06:26:32 pm »

Shame as in the right conditions I think they look pretty good.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 06:36:03 pm »

Couldn't agree more.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 10:34:24 pm »

I think Roy that under the right conditions and as long as the model is ballasted correctly this can make into a very realistic model.  The popularity of it as an RC conversion speaks for itself.

If you have seen one bobbing around it could have been as a result of a choppy surface or it didn't have enough ballast.  If what you saw was correctly ballasted and you were unhappy with it you have to think about what you want to achieve.  This does make into a substantial model that is easily transported and handled but if you want a higher degree of stability you will have to look at larger and heavier models.

Don't forget though it is always a case of degrees.  All models have conditions beyond which they cease to look realistic and it is simply a matter of smaller models have less tolerance.  You have to sail within what you see as your own acceptable limits.  For example my U-Boat conversion sits at the correct ballasted water line and took nearly a kilo of ballast to get it there but whilst looking superb in calm conditions very quickly bobs around unrealistically when the waves pick up.  Then I have to get something a lot bigger out to look the part.

The corvette kit is still an excellent way of starting out in RC and you have all the makings of a very realistic model that will look the part in slight breezes and small choppy surfaces.  I would stay with it, make sure it is ballasted correctly (it does need quite a bit to get it down to her marks, and it has to be in the bottom of the hull) and you can get a lot of enjoyment out of her.

If that isn't for you and you want something more robust then your only option is to go bigger and you are then moving into the realms of more challenging multi-media modelling.  I think for a model of it's size the Corvette is more stable than most if correctly ballasted.

I hope you haven't been put off completely because you are going to miss out on moments like the ones above and these of mine:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.