Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Civitavecchia  (Read 5337 times)

pobolycwm

Civitavecchia
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:44:27 pm »

decided to build me a tug after looking at all the lovely pics and posts on here. i came across the plans for Civitavecchia whilst searching and duly ordered them.
the reason for choosing this plan set over the others is the sole purpose that  it said it can be made using styrene sheet. and after spending a few years making flashy signs for fairgrounds using the stuff i have become quite adept at whittling the stuff

does anyone have any advice other than dont start
has anyone built said tug and have any pictures

thanks
pob

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Civitavecchia
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:53:39 pm »

Hi Pob,

I bought that "kit" some years ago.... never built it.
But I do have a CD of photos of a build and a completed one.I'll see if I can find it for you.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pobolycwm

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 09:09:04 pm »

many thanks
i only bought the plans from the magazine people, as i didnt realise there was a kit out there

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »

Interesting title for this thread. May we be party to the reasoning behind it, or is it a secret (nudge, nudge etc etc)?  ;)
FLJ

pobolycwm

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »

all the lovely pictures are making me spend my money

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:00:34 pm »

Hey Pob
Thats the problem with Model Boats, once your hooked you'll never have any money, what with boats and the Mrs I'm always skint % Nice to have another Taffy aboard mate. Welcome to the mad house.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:21:55 am »

Topic name changed.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pobolycwm

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:03:24 am »

Many thanks for the name change , and the pictures. I think the images you have posted are the reason behind my choosing this model, it doesnt look as cluttered as most of the other tugs i have seen and as a first tug it looks simpler to build ( did you notice the first tug bit). yes this is an evil evil forum

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »

I think that this is one of Ricky Webb's designs. If so, the 'kit' was just a parcel of styrene sheet and maybe some brass  rods etc from Ricky. However, I understand that Ricky is unwell so its unlikely this is currently available.

I haven't built this one, but I have built his Princess Elizabeth paddle steamer and also his Huntsman 31. If you are used to dealing with styrene then you should have no problems. It might be an idea to try the Huntsman as a start - its quite small. It would give you an idea of Ricky's construction techniques.The plan was in one of the mags recently, or I could let you have my copy of the plan and magazine article.

Barrie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 04:51:19 pm »

My Civitavecchia  kit is for sale if anyone would like to moke me an offer by PM

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »

You're right Barrie, it is a Ricky Webb design, plans from photos he took whilst on holiday in Rome a few years back. As you said, it comprises styrene sheet and a few extra bits,. I started it and have the hull finished, but lost patience and bought Al Khubar in the meantime!

Danny

pobolycwm

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:36:22 pm »

is 1mm styrene to thin for these models or to thick
i can get a2 sized sheets from a colleague for a few beer tokens

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:01 am »

Its not too thick, most of the model is probably made with 1mm. I tend to use some 1.5 and 2mm as well. Ricky usually gives the thickness required on his drawings.

Its also useful to have some 0.75mm for bits of the superstructure - keeps the top weight doown and makes for a more stable model :-)

Barrie

Ive just checked the article in MMI - Ricky used 1 and 1.5mm card for Civitavecchia.

pobolycwm

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:29 am »

right
i am starting to make templates from the plans before the styrene cutting starts, on the deck template the foredeck drawing  the pointy end of the deck isnt pointy but it looks lie its missing a few cm`s can anyone with this plan have a look at yours and tell me if its meant to be that way

cheers
jamie

pobolycwm

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:56:49 am »

a bit of an update

whittleing styrene sheet for boats is a lot harder than whittling it for 50ft amusement signs  :}
i have the hull done, (will take some pics when i can get out to argos to buy a camera) blooming heck it was fiddly.
i am currently working on the cabin and wheelhouse mk2 the first version was nasty.

i will say though getting styrene sheets in the required length rather than joining sheets is a lot easier and stronger
i made the kort nozzles for 50mm props as per the plans then ordered 60mm props by mistake so i am having to redo those
but all in all i am having fun

sentry

Civitavecchia
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 11:16:40 pm »

Hi Gent's
   Has any one got or made this tug before I send off for the plans, have read about it in the Model Tug Boat book but still would like others views if any.
                         Regards Sentry

hmsantrim

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 04:48:42 am »

Hi Sentry.
                  some stuff on the kit here.

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/webb/MainFrame_Home.htm

http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flickr-2827516192-image.jpg    real thing

cheers Frank                 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 07:12:02 am »

I bought the kit from Richard many years ago but I never started it ... it's quite a build!   {:-{

sentry

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 04:47:50 pm »

Thank you Martin,
 did you ever Finnish it. I was in Civitavecchia last week but never got to see it still not sure if its going to be a goer, looks good.
                                         Regards Sentry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »

Great looking boat but the kit is a lot of sheets of unmarked plasticard.... I look it all over .... and it's still in the loft!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.