Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makeing a paint job look like varnished wood !  (Read 2342 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Makeing a paint job look like varnished wood !
« on: October 25, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »

Hy Guys
I read somewhere, ( I believe it was on here but cant find the thread) about a paint technique using a yellow undercoat that was then  painted over with varnish to simulate wood.  They use this kind of finish on Fishing boats around the North east I believe. Has anybody got any ideas on the method, or where the thread might be. On the Mayhem home page there is a pic of the Boston Typhoon, It looks to me like this method was used on her deck housing, I have a couple of fishing boats to complete and would like to give it a try.
 ManyThanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Makeing a paint job look like varnished wood !
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:13:21 pm »

Have a look at the masterclass section, at the 1915 drifter I built. I created a grained effect with paint on that.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:40 pm »

HY Ian, 
I knew I had seen it somewhere, daft thing is,  I was following your build right from the begining, and somehow overlooked it. Cracking Job.
Two questions..
The yellow paint looks like a satin? would that be right, and was the varnish applied when the yellow was wet or dry.
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:23:40 am »

Bosun,

I did it this way:

Painted the yellow, yes it is satin, allowed it to dry thoroughly. I then used Tamiya masking tape and used brown satin paint within the masked off area. Then, before the brown paint dried, I used a nit comb and a sharpened pencil rubber to drag streaks of brown paint off.

I suggest you do one panel at a time, otherwise the brown paint (or whatever you use) may dry a little, making it hard to drag off. Also, clean your nit comb/rubber between each use, just a wipe on a rag should be ok.

I then allowed it all to dry for a couple of days and sprayed over with a little satin varnish.

For the comb, I cut out a a section and then removed a couple of teeth so the grained effect wasnt symmetrical.

I also practised on some scrap first, its actually a lot easier than it might seem.

Lets see some pics when you have done it.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:59:10 am »

Hy Guys
I read somewhere, ( I believe it was on here but cant find the thread) about a paint technique using a yellow undercoat that was then  painted over with varnish to simulate wood.  They use this kind of finish on Fishing boats around the North east I believe. Has anybody got any ideas on the method, or where the thread might be. On the Mayhem home page there is a pic of the Boston Typhoon, It looks to me like this method was used on her deck housing, I have a couple of fishing boats to complete and would like to give it a try.
 ManyThanks
Bosun

Hi Bosun
Try this link provded by Furball http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/03/stuff_eng_tech_wood_grain.htm
in this thread rely#4 http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13387.0

I think you many also have seen this one.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:35:52 am »

Hy Guys
Boatmadman, Thanks for the info, I had a good look at your master build last night, and have decided to give that method a go.
I am refurbishing my Boston and want to try it out on the deckhousing, will post some pics later.

TigerTiger
Thanks for the links, that plane looks real good but I think the technique is maybe better looked at when I am  a bit more profficent. ( I hate painting and electrics)
I have followed the Mayhem thread with interest, and may go the route suggested by Colin Bishop on a full cabin in the near future.
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.