Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Novgorod....what an amazing vessel.  (Read 45083 times)

das boot

Re: The Novgorod....what an amazing vessel.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 03:44:40 pm »

There's an article in the 1997 Model Shipwright anthology about a model built in 1974 which refers to details in the book Bizarre Ships of the Nineteenth Century by John Guthrie published in 1970. There are only 3 photos of the real thing but you're welcome to the article if you wish.

There's also mention of articles in Playboy and the Eagle!

The builder, Colin Gross, Couldn't find a frying pan of the right size so made a foam male and built up fibreglass round it.

I missed that bit...now there's a perfect excuse for studying the top shelf magazines in the newsagents tomorrow morning.  ;)
All in the name of research, you understand.... :embarrassed:

Rich

craftysod

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 04:01:10 pm »

I can imagine it
Rich is looking around the top shelves assistant comes over "can i help you sir"
Rich "no its okay looking for article from hugh hefner which is round and floats"  %)

das boot

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 04:04:30 pm »

{-)     :embarrassed:

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 05:21:35 pm »

Hi chaps,

I have included some images of my model of the Novgorod on the water, it is built as she appeared in later life with the additional superstructure and chart house.

The grey painted model shows Novgorod on the previous posting as built and in first commission.

It really was a very simple model to make with no real problems in construction, as i said in an earlier posting it is just a series of plywood rings laminated one on top of the other.

The main gun Barbette is a length of plastic fall pipe, deck plates and superstructure all made from plastic card, deck planking is boxwood strips with tamiya black painted edges for the caulking.

The main guns are aluminium turnings, funnels from brass tube with 6v smoke units inside  and the small hotchkiss Gatling type machine guns on the bridge wings are from various bits of brass and plastruct sections.

Regards
Ian

ian kennedy

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »

Here are some useful images of the other popov designed Russian vessels.

It was a great era for technical advances......not always successful,but you learn from mistakes!!

cheers
Ian

das boot

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2008, 06:31:44 pm »

They are great pics Ian, there's not a lot of freeboard there, is there? It reallly looks good on the water though, slow and sedate.
I'm working on the hull in my mind, got me a couple of ideas...depends on what I can 'borrow' from the stores at work tomorrow, but hopefully I can get what I need.

Congratulations on a terrific model Ian, and many thanks for the assistance you've given me(and the rest of the guys here too)

Rich

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 07:35:36 pm »

Oh I would so love to build one as a straight runner  {-) {-) {-) how confusing wouuld that be
Steamed up all the time

das boot

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »

First you got to work out which way it's going....

Rich

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 11:33:48 am »

Model Boats Magazine (UK) November 2006 issue had a model of the Russian royal yacht "Livadia" on the front cover and quite a few pictures in the "Regatta review" of Windermere 2000 by John Godsell. Steam powered , built by John Hollis. An interesting oddity like the others but a bit more glamorous.
..well can you land on this?

Ron1

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 06:18:01 pm »

That possibly were Dave Woolly took the photo,s that I posted. ;) ;)

Hagar

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:43 pm »

Seen one of these in a Danish model boat show. Lookede rather good. I'll see if I can find out who the builder was and ask if he has any info he wishes to share.

das boot

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »

The more information, the better...thanks for the offer Hagar, much appreciated.

The Missouri will be first on the slipway, that will give me plenty of time to amass what information and materials I need to even think about building a Novogrod. I think it's a fascinating ship, loooks like real fun to try and control.

At least it should float....    :o

Rich

Hagar

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 10:18:58 am »

Found a video of the model I saw in the meeting in Vallensbęk. thought you might like to have a ganders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fwiRxmh-OQ

U33, you have a PM

barryfoote

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 10:21:41 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-))STILL NOT GOT ANY STOCKISTS GUYS: SURELY SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS.... <*< <*< <*< <*< <*<

das boot

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »

Hagar...many thanks for that, I can't seem to get my pm to respond at the moment, so here's a thanks. THANKS!

Barry...no luck from my man who can (he couldn't...) That resin kit is still offered on the site( http://www.gremirmodels.com/novgorod.htm )but I don't think it's all that big, as the price isn't all that big either....about $10 or so.
Perhaps we should all club together and persuade Ian K to produce a proper kit.. O0..he'd sell at least three here.  :embarrassed:

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 06:17:36 pm »

Rich,

I knew I liked you...Always got a good idea......So who is gong to approach Ian then.......

I have checked out the website and for 10 dollars you get a download to your computer, not a resin kit. Of what I am not sure and the site is not very clear on the matter so I have sent them an email, asking what it is all about. I will keep you posted.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 06:28:22 pm »

That resin kit is still offered on the site( http://www.gremirmodels.com/novgorod.htm )but I don't think it's all that big, as the price isn't all that big either....about $10 or so.

I think that the model to which that link points is in actual fact a card model not resin! I wasn't aware you could download resin models over the internet %)

Barrie

das boot

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 06:33:48 pm »

Rich,

I knew I liked you...Always got a good idea......So who is gong to approach Ian then.......

I have checked out the website and for 10 dollars you get a download to your computer, not a resin kit. Of what I am not sure and the site is not very clear on the matter so I have sent them an email, asking what it is all about. I will keep you posted.

Barry

Aah Barry...love you too.   :embarrassed:

I guess I didn't read the website properly by the looks of things. oops... :embarrassed:

I'll ask Ian if you like.... Ian? How about making the Novgorod into a kit mate?

Rich

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 06:36:26 pm »

I think it would be even more of a challenge to make the card version than a 'proper' model.

Barrie

das boot

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:40 pm »

The actual hull doesn't look like much of a problem to construct, the deck is a slight cone shape which I guess means making it up in strips (?), the rest of it looks to be of fairly standard construction. Motor installation could be fun though...

Hmm... :D

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »

Hi Rich,

It would seem you lot have the bug for Novgorod then !!

I have some excellent drawings for her now both as built and later in life.........so in time.....if enough mad model boaters show interest in it.........i may produce a semi-kit,f glass hull with copper plate detail, glass f deck with detail, resin and white metal fittings,

Although you would have to make or source your own prop shafts etc not a problem these days any M2 threaded shaft can be cut down to length.

It will be far more accurate than my earlier effort, though not far out i was never too happy with the forward structure shape....all conways fighting ships 1860-1905's fault....bahhh

Regards

Ian

das boot

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 07:49:03 pm »

"so in time.....if enough mad model boaters show interest in it.........i may produce a semi-kit,f glass hull with copper plate detail, glass f deck with detail, resin and white metal fittings,"

Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear Ian...hope Barry is reading this. Yes,  you are quite correct Ian, I'm really taken with the Novgorod, it just fascinates me. When (not IF...) you do decide to go ahead, put my name on one.

That just gives me time to finish the USS Missouri then.... %)

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 08:20:37 am »

Rich,

Yes I am reading this and when I asked you to ask Ian, I didn't expect such a positive result so quickly. Well done amigo......Oh and yes please to Ian too....

I got a reply to my email and yes the downloadable model is made of card. I have downloaded a free model plane from them to see what the quality will be like...

Barry

das boot

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 03:03:23 pm »

Us old (ex) sweeper drivers don't muck about, Barry...straight in there, no hesitation whatsoever.
I guess now we keep on at Ian until he thinks "oh for ****'s sake, I'll make a kit and shut them two up"....Ian? Ian mate? You started on that kit yet..mate?    ;)

Rich
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.