Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Novgorod....what an amazing vessel.  (Read 45214 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: The Novgorod....what an amazing vessel.
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2009, 05:33:31 am »

Card model available:   http://www.marcle.co.uk/catap20.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2009, 09:08:50 am »

Martin,

Well found Sir......That said, these models go a bit soggy when sailed on the local lake!!!

Anyway, U33 and I both thank you for bringing this subject back into the open again....(Hope Ian is listening)...

das boot

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:37 am »

A submersible Novgorod eh? Hmm...that'd be different!   O0

Barry, I'd put money on the fact that Ian is at this moment thinking "Oh no, not again...."   %)

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »

You two are bl***y mind readers !!

Move is complete......workshop will be built 14th march %% then a few weeks insulating, electrifying and fitting out........then maybe i can think about playing again ;) god how i miss model making

Cheers chaps

Ian

das boot

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2009, 03:36:57 pm »

And how we two miss YOU model making, Ian... O0  O0

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

Boy......I love this site......keep on laughing guys and galls.... :-)) :-))

Egberth

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2010, 03:51:28 am »

Martin asked me to cross-post my article from the shipmodel.info-forum:

As a huge fan of the "age of uncertaincy“ I for long wanted to build a model of the "Popovka“ Novgorod, the first circular ship built by vice-admiral Popov in 1872-1874 for the Imperial Russian Navy. The plan of the ship is from Dirk Nottelmann (https://www.shopssl.de/epages/es119126.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es119126_MZ-Modellbau/Products/WI-30) and shows the ship as well in her first appearance as in her last days.

A modelling-comrade of mine, Lothar Wischmeyer, did the Novgorod a few years before and lend me his great silicone forms. The master was turned from beech-wood, the form was of quite thick silicone-rubber on a clay bed to avoid warping of the form.

The form was first coated with a release agent, than a layer of gelcoat was plastered on the form. After the gelcoat did set for about two houres I slathered a paste of 50 percent resin and 50 percent glass fibre pieces on the sharp-edged or generally difficult parts. Than three layers of 160 g fibreglass-mats were laminated with a good amount of resin in each of the forms. After complete drying the hull and the deck were taken out of the form.

I was very pleased with how it came out. Post-treatment of bubbles was quite limited.

As all my models the Novgorod should be radio-controlled. I decided to motorize only the two outer of the six propellers. For these I bought ( http://http://www.mz-modellbaushop.de/ ) brass-propellers. The four inner propellers are only dummies cast in resin with a galvanic copper plating. The ship is steered only with these outer propellers, the rudder ist fixed in a middle-position (according to reports of the original ship the rudder there was almost useless). Both propellers are propelled by 6 V motors. These were powerd by a 6 V 7,5 Ah accumulator.

The Opening for maintaining the electronic is placed under the forward superstructure and the barbette.

The forward superstructure was made mainly from 0,5 and 1 mm sheet-styrene. The outer hull of the barbette has a diameter of 90 mm and I had the problem that I couldn’t get some 90 mm tubes of any sort, so I made the walls of the barbette from resin soaked paper wrapped around a circle from sheet styrene. The ring that remained when I cut out the circle was placed at the upper part of the paper ring while laminating the paper strips. It was later removed. The inner hull of the barbette was made from a tube with an inner diameter of 70 mm. Both were connected with a ring of 1 mm sheet styrene.

The holes for the bulleyes were drilled and the two funnels were installed. The lower part of the funnel was a resin casting of a master turned by Lothar Wischmeyer. The long straight upper part is again made from resin soaked paper over a styrene sceleton.

The big vents were also casted from a master by Lothar Wischmeyer that I altered a bit until it fitted the vents in the plan.

The guns are turned parts from Lothar Wischmeyer, for the sides of the carriage I made a master from styrene and again resin soaked paper. The rails are cut with a circular-cutter from 0,5 mm sheet styrene, two slightly wider rings for the base of the rails and two narrower rings to be placed on the wider rings.

The levers, wheels as well as the top of the ammunition-duct are foto-etched. The grid at the sides of the carriage are from a foto-etched-grid I bought at MZ-Modellbau. The frictional compressors were made from 0,3 mm sheet styrene.

The rudder with it slightly complicated shape I made also from four foto-etched parts which I soldered.together. Same are the mountings for the lifeboats and the skylight on the afterdeck (the lower part of the skylight is again made of sheet-styrene).

At the first time on a rc-controlled model I wanted to add some depth through the painting of the model. Usually rc.controllrd ships get – due to the Naviga-reglement a plain, new looking finish, but this time the segmented deck secuced me to try something different. First I engraved the segments, preshaded the grooves between the segments black. Than a thin layer of gmedium grey was airbruhed o the whole thing  followed by a lighted up layer on the middle of segments. I really like who it looks. The effect is decent but gives still a lot of depth to the otherwise somewhat boring deck. The only disadvantage is, that you have to use this technique on all parts of the ship to make it look right, thus giving lot more work on the painting front.

For the under-water hull I used a tapping technique with a very short brush. The original hull was copper plated but with very small plates. As I was not keen on glueing thousands of 2 X 2 mm brass-bits to the hull, this gets very close to the original look.

Also for the first time I used wire-end sleeves for the bulleyes. As I had only tinned sleeves I got them a galvanic copper plating (today I found gilded wire-end sleeves in the car-hifi-corner of a electronic shop, so the galvanic plating won’t be necessary any more). For the glazing I punched out little bits of a clear rubber like plastic with a pair of punch-pliers. These fit perfect in the sleeves.

The lifeboats were resin castings by Lothar Wischmeyer. They were fitted with a grating and benches from 0,3 mm vermeer.

Some pictures of the finished model:

The seagoing qualities of the model are quite authentic, which means not sooo good. The ship is very good at turning. Unfortunatly it requires quite a lot of training to go in a straight line (and even than it looks like the helm had more than a healthy quantity of his vodka ration). But because of this it is very funny to steer it.

And last but not least a video of the ship on the water:

http://www.smc-wuppertal.de/Schiffe/Novgorod/Bild%20028.avi

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2010, 04:53:49 am »

very nice have you thought of fitting a heading lock giro, you wouldhave to fiddle with an interface to the speed ctr as they are normally on the rudder.

by the way one of the nicest builds I have seen in some time.

peter

ian kennedy

« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »

Hi,

What a superb job you have made of her, If you think it handles in an interesting manner with only two of the six shafts working you should try mine with all six running....... %% {-)

I like the subtle deck weathering as well it brings life to the model without the usual heavy over kill of some weathering types

Ian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2010, 01:38:28 pm »

How far have you got with your Ian?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ian kennedy

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2010, 01:44:29 am »

Hi Martin,

Not had much time on the model moulds recently been quite busy working on a plug for HMS Victoria at 1/72nd scale, and that has taken up a lot of time....too much time  {:-{

Sorry for the delay in the Novgorod, but i have also been working on several P.O.F prototype kits pic's of them when i get to grips with my digital camera....I don't like taking piccies it stops me from cutting metal, wood and my finger tips!!

Ian

Patrick Henry

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:25 am »

I wonder if my mate Barry is still watching this...poor old Ian, just when he  thought it was safe to come out of the cupboard again, the post gets resurrected.    ;)

That model above is amazing...Egberth, my congratulations sir, it looks wonderful on the water.

I must have words with Barry again about this...

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2010, 08:00:13 am »

....No need Rich......I am here, keeping my beady eye on things........ :-)) :-))

Not looking good mate for the near future........Better build something else while we wait!! {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Patrick Henry

« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:23 am »

Morning! Perhaps we need to 'persuade' Ian that it's a good idea to commence construction...

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

Ohhh No here we go again !!!!! %)

Ian

Patrick Henry

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:07 pm »

We don't know what you possibly mean, do we Barry??   ok2

Rich

barryfoote

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »

Nah.......Touchy devil don't you think Rich??  %) %) %)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »

Maybe it's THAT time... ok2

Rich

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2015, 09:56:55 pm »

Sorry to bump this topic after five years dormant but I am intrigued to know if the moulds for the hull were ever completed and put into use?

TTFN, Ian.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2015, 04:34:07 am »

Seen a couple at shows, lets see if I can find the photos......

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2015, 08:29:10 am »

Thank you for posting the photos.  As many of you know I am really into weird warships, and they don't come any weirder than the Novgorod. Not sure if this is the same one I saw at Deans Marine a while back.  Delicious.    At 1/96 it is quite small.  I am still tempted to build one, but at a larger scale, to see if it will be really as difficult to steer as the real one.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:30 am »

These days with heading lock and 'headless mode' giro stabilisation it should be a lot easier!   :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2015, 11:00:26 am »

......'as difficult to steer as the real one'?.

May help if they connect the rudder chain on the stdb side  {-).... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.