Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My, how things have changed....  (Read 1913 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
My, how things have changed....
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:22:08 pm »

I asked a young friend (13) if he would like to build an Airfix kit for Mayhem...

"What's an Airfix kit?"
It's a plastic type kit.

"A kit of what?"
A boat. You know my site, Model Boat Mayhem.

"Yeah. How does the kit work?"
It's plastic kit you build yourself.

"How do I do that?"
You glue all the bits together and build a boat.

"........... Huh?"
Do you know what an Airfix kit is?

"No. How does it work."
It's a kit of bits you glue together and paint and you build yourself a boat or whatever.

".....OK....."
I'm got a kit, do you want to try to build one?

"....Why?......"

Sigh.......  {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

Re: My, how things have changed....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »

Its a kit you glue together

Nah you keep the kiit,but can i sniff the glue

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:54:03 pm »

Yes I am surprised , should have said yes and then sold it on Fleebay   {-)

I am glad to say that my 7 year old son has / is following in my footsteps regarding modelling , I have encouraged him to build and use his imagination when playing with Lego , I will only help him build a new Lego kit if he really asks for help and he built the two Lego kits we bought him  for his Birthday with out any.
When we first gave him Lego he found it hard to grasp that if it did not look exactly like the picture it did not matter Free lance building is what I think Lego is all about despite a lot of the custom made pieces you are now provided with,(this is not a criticism, just an observation but would have been nice if they had done it 30 years ago  >>:-(, would have made my Dandare ship and eagles much better.)
We have only just given him a Nintendo ds (other systems are available) for his Birthday ,... What was he playing with this morning as the clock going back made no difference to him, no not the ds  but his Lego.. :-))

We will be building the tug510 from model slipways next.. If it floats, is another matter..

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:50:56 pm »

Don't worry Larry if it dosen't float put wheels on it, you can at least get him into model cars then  {-)
Steamed up all the time

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:57:22 pm »

He Would as well.. :}

I Am Bringing him to Warwick which will be his first major outing to a show , should be fun...

Weeds

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »

What you are describing sounds like what I heard Chomsky comment on recently - "stimulus hungry" kids that our TV and computer  times have created.

I wouldn't offer a complex kit to teenager. Start 'em with something easy that takes half an hour to build. I have particularly good luck with snap together models such as... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMVK0&P=FR

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:23 pm »

HI weeds , Know where your coming from  and thanks for the link..

He is not so much going to build it but assist me in doing so , Ie drilling, glueing , marking out, jumping up and down when it goes wrong etc.  I will prep it for painting but he is going to actualy paint it  %%. so he tells me..Last I heard Bright orange..

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 08:43:23 am »

Martin, it's good if you can find something fairly quick and not too drawn out for youngsters as their attention span can be a bit short compared to older kids. It is also rather good if the thing you make does something rather than just sit on the side somewhere. In these days of ready to go, fully finished out of the box plastc toys... and some look great, an Airfix kit might just look a bit 'dead' to a young lad plus he may want to play with it and then the bits will start falling off!
The secret with youngsters in the early stages is to keep it really simple , reasonably quick and hope that his bit of input will give him a little bit of interest and pride in the finished result. It will also help if you can throw in a bit of a story or interesting history attached to the model so he knows why it exists, otherwise to him it may simply be another toy that doesn't work.
Probably stating the obvious here but just thought I'd throw it in.
Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.