Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new member, new hobby  (Read 4501 times)

neilthebus

new member, new hobby
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:13:24 pm »

hi to everyone. I'm a new member to this forum and a new member of the model boating fraternity. Actually it is Model Boat Mayhem that really got me started on this.

I've been a keen modeller for many years mainly model railways and model buses. However, re-marriage, a young family and limited resources led to a great deal of frustration ie no room for a model railway so lots of trains going "nowhere". I've always had an interest in boats but had always convinced myself they were far too expensive.

Then I came across articles on the Dickie tug conversion on the model boat mayhem site. I bought one with some birthday money last year and have just about completed the re-build, new r/c equipment etc. I have found it the most rewarding modelling project I have ever undertaken so I am firmly hooked now.

My wife bought me the Impact Severn class lifeboat for christmas, my son now has a r/c power boat and my stepson a rtr r/c torpedo boat that we take to Hemsworth water park when we can (which is fun since we use public transport!!!).

Now I am looking at disposing of the biggest part of my model trains and investing in a new project. So at 50 years old I have discovered a whole new hobby and I hope to make some friends within this community. From what I have seen so far the majority of boaters seem a deal more friendly than quite a few in the model railway world. :)

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
Re: new member, new hobby
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 04:18:34 pm »

What's Hemsworth Water Park like? I've heard about it but never been there. There used to be a club which used it as its' "home water", is it still functioning?
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:12:45 pm »

Hi Neil- welcome to the hobby and this forum!
Your curiculum vitae modelensis seems like the most of us- I know a number of mates here who started with the locos (me included).
Though- enjoy yourself  :)

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 05:57:46 pm »

welcome to the mad house :)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 07:30:25 pm »

Welcome you don't have to be mad to be on here but it don't half help, and if you arn't mad yet it won't be long ;D ;D
                                                                Cheers
                                                                        Bob b
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 08:10:54 pm »

Hi, Neil.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:58:28 pm »

Welcome to the land of the ungodly!

Tony

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 10:03:32 pm »

Welcome
Also started with trains and have now descended into boats for much the same reason as you.
Just a warning , do not ask anyone on here any questions that involve kilograms or pounds or the conversion of one to the other !!
                                                                                                                                                     Richard
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 10:06:28 pm »

Welcombe,
I too started with trains, which I still enjoy and now took a branch line down to the world of model boats.

Daryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.