Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chequer Plate  (Read 2432 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Chequer Plate
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:53 am »

Can anyone tell me if chequer plate (or similar non-slip plating) as used for external stairways or engine room floorplates. was fitted in the 1890's?

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chequer Plate
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:17:40 pm »

What scale? Chequer-plate always seems to be available as part of the Plasticard range.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »

What scale? Chequer-plate always seems to be available as part of the Plasticard range.
Oops (again). Sorry. "Warrior" has chequered plating in places. The oldest ship I ever sailed in (built in 1918) also had it. So I think the answer has to be "yes". Regards. BY.

andygh

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:25 pm »

%% %% %% %% %%

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:57:35 pm »

Bryan,

When I posted this query I knew - I simply just knew - it would be the Sage of Tyneside who would answer it!  :}  :}

Thank you,

Barry M

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:37:09 am »

Bryan, just a question, bearing in mind that the production of chequer plate is a rolling process I would not have expected the use of it as far back as the 1890's.  The question is therefore are you sure it is an original fitting on the Warrior or has it been added recently for the sake of H&S requirements?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 05:43:04 pm »

Bryan, just a question, bearing in mind that the production of chequer plate is a rolling process I would not have expected the use of it as far back as the 1890's.  The question is therefore are you sure it is an original fitting on the Warrior or has it been added recently for the sake of H&S requirements?
You may well be right, Never really thought of the history of the stuff! But the old "Lady Dennison Pender" (C & W) built in 1918 certainly had lots of it. At the same time, she also had a fair amount of plating that had strips of steel fastened to the underlying deck. Perhaps that is the route to follow? Come to think of it, I have seen more modern ships with (welded) strips that do the same job. I fear you may be correct. Nice to have a friendly mentor at hand! Cheers ,Bryan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.