Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on brushless motor and esc  (Read 2250 times)

Nige

Advice on brushless motor and esc
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »

Hi folks I need some help.

I've got a nosram brushless 7.5 turn and another make esc.

Now the motor has a hall waire ???  but my esc does not have this ??

Does anyone know if it would still be ok to run the pair together .

thanks for any info.

Nige

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice on brushless motor and esc
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:41:03 am »

Nige,

Sensor wires are now very rare on brushless kit
The motor is a passive lump: electrically is is the ESC that does all the control and has to give the motor the electrical food for its nourishment.  The ESC senses the motor rotation and timing without any help (it looks at the voltage on the power wires to trigger the pulses)

So the ESC will happily run the motor. without the sensor wire - just insulate the end of it
I am surprised that you say it has a Hall wire - my (fallible) memory tells me that sensor wires were usually 2 extra wires - much thinner than the power wires and with a small connector block fitted.

In case it is of interest to anyone - CDROM motors in their natural habitat (on the circuit board, in a CDrom drive) have a little entourage of hall effect sensors around the edge of the rotor - these are visible as 4-legged chips (about 1.5mm square) and there are often 3 or more of then doing the timing and speed control for the CDROM drive.
 I keep thinking that I should make more use of these sensors - I throw them away when I howk the motor off the board
How about a brushless DC motor?

andrew

biggles1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 10:07:15 pm »

Hi  just like to  tell you all about a site that I , and  flying club mates have used.Its  robotbirds.com they have a huge stock of brushless motors and brushless speed controllers . When i phoned today they had just had a new   supply of b/less water cooled marine controllers.They are happy to offer advice to boaters on what motor, speedcontroler batt etc. but ask if this is by email  and not phone.  Service is great too order today deliverd next day. I have no connection with Robot Birds only as a satisfied customer  Dave

Nige

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:12:48 am »

Thank you for the help Andrew it was just what i was looking for.

She's all installed and ready for a blast on Sunday.

And thanks for the link Biggles, it looks interesting.

Have a good one bouys.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:08 am »

Hi  just like to  tell you all about a site that I , and  flying club mates have used.Its  robotbirds.com they have a huge stock of brushless motors and brushless speed controllers . When i phoned today they had just had a new   supply of b/less water cooled marine controllers.They are happy to offer advice to boaters on what motor, speedcontroler batt etc. but ask if this is by email  and not phone.  Service is great too order today deliverd next day. I have no connection with Robot Birds only as a satisfied customer  Dave

Yes Robobirds do have a huge range of brushless motors, that's the problem!

With say "540" there are say a 10 ( 10-20ish) different motors to choose from and we're sort of used to those now.....
With any brushless motor (of any set size) it can have dozens of different windings, timings, poles, RPM/v and wattages, so which
one is sort of right for your boat?
We used to do fine tuning with prop size & pitch and battery voltage, now you can do it with the motor!

Weeds is starting to collected data for us.....
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13500.0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.