Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tamiya battleship BB-63 USS Missouri  (Read 18400 times)

das boot

The Tamiya battleship BB-63 USS Missouri
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »

First job was to modify the kit propshafts, props and rudders. This was all pretty standard stuff, I drilled out the props just enough to take a length of 1/16th brass rod as a prop shaft, then epoxied two lengths of 1/16th brass tube into the recesses in the hull, these fit exactly which saved an awful lot of work. The rudders come on a square section shaft, which has to be removed…I did this by carefully cutting them off with a fine razor saw, then drilling into the rudders and epoxying two lengths of 1/16th brass rod as rudder shafts. I glued two lengths of 1/16th brass tube into the pre-marked recesses in the hull, these made up the rudder tubes. Rudder arms were two spare ones that Ramesh (Mankster) made me for the rudders in U-33, a wheel collet soldered to a length of brass sheet and drilled through to take 1/16th brass wire as operating arms. I joined the two rudder operating arms by using lengths of brass wire and a joining block from an electrical chocolate block connector. I made up a support beam across the hull to give some support to the long rudder to servo linkage by simply soldering a ¼” length of brass tube onto a length of brass rod and just glueing it to the hull sides with epoxy resin. Running the operating arm through the tube supports the arm and stops any lateral movement caused by the servo’s motion.

The radio equipment will be fitted onto a plywood floor as seen in the pictures, a six volt four amp gel cell battery fits onto the front section of the floor with ample room to spare. The rudder servo, rx and battery pack are stuck down on the ply floor with double sided tape, the on/off switch has yet to be placed in it’s final position.

Two esc’s will be fitted on a frame above the two Mabuchi 280 motors and will give independent motor control to help the ‘Mighty Mo’ turn, and the servos which will rotate the forward gun turrets sit on the ply floor behind the main drive battery. The rear turret will be connected to the rudder linkage, so as the rudders turn left the turret will rotate to the right.

More to come very soon…

Rich

das boot

Re: The Tamiya battleship BB-63 USS Missouri
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:18:36 pm »

Just another pic of the underside of the forward deck section showing the operating arm which will rotate the forward gun turret...this links to the second turret so both of them rotate in unison. At a rough estimate both turrets should rotate through 45* to port and starboard.

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:04:55 pm »

Hi Rich,

You don't waste much time do you? you only got the dam thing this week!!!

Looking ok up to now.....what speed controllers are you going to use? and power pack voltage/capacity etc....

Keep up the good work

Ian

das boot

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:51:10 am »

err....I only collected it yesterday morning Ian   :embarrassed:  :embarrassed:  :embarrassed: But it was my day off and it seemed such a shame not to open the box and just take a wee look inside.....  ;)

I was going to use the good old 6volt 4a/h gel cell as a main power supply, but having hooked up the turret rotation servo, I found that space is a bit limited, so I'm thinking of a five or six cell pack of nicads (or whatever they are called nowadays).

As for esc's...haven't got that far yet, Ian. Any recommendations....? I'll need two as I want to keep to independant motor control, judging by the size of Mighty Mo's rudders she's not to turn very tightly, the old girl is going to need all the help she can get.

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:42:05 am »

I'm sure you could get away with mini servo's for the rudders and the turrets saving a bit of weight and space.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

das boot

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:40 am »

Wouldn't be a problem to use mini servos BB, thing is I didn't have spare ones, my small ones are earmarked for the USS Blueback when it comes back after it's major surgery. Mini servos would do fine, I may go get a couple when pay day arrives  :embarrassed: spent too much this month already!  >>:-(

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 11:02:34 am »

Hi Rich,

Power wise i would use a pair of mtronik 10 amp vipers, running off a sub c cell 6v nicad or nimh pack.

You can run Rx power off the vipers via becc...this saves weight and space

If your budget is tight you could  use 1x viper esc and a switcher or mixer unit to stop/reverse the inboard prop to assist in turning the model

das boot

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 11:28:54 am »

Hi Rich,

Power wise i would use a pair of mtronik 10 amp vipers, running off a sub c cell 6v nicad or nimh pack.

You can run Rx power off the vipers via becc...this saves weight and space

If your budget is tight you could  use 1x viper esc and a switcher or mixer unit to stop/reverse the inboard prop to assist in turning the model

Thanks for that Ian, much appreciated...the budget isn't that tight really, pay day is approaching fast, it's just that the g'friend decided to spend MY money instead of hers. She's very good at that, she could spend money for England, shame it's not a Olympic thing!

I've changed the rudders over to some 'similar to scale' ones which are larger all round and have a much bigger blade area, that should help the old girl in tight corners, so what with that modification and independant motor control, I think we should be ok for getting her to turn in less than a mile...

Talking of lack of turning ability, I did once enter my USS Patrick Henry in a scale steering regatta...the organisers got so fed up with waiting for me to get round the course they allowed me to do it submerged. All I did was to dive, sit on the bottom for five minutes, pop up near the finish line and claim a clear round...and I got away with it, got the cup on my bookcase to prove it!!!   ;D

Rich

das boot

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 12:53:28 pm »

A quick update...got the forward 16" gun turret rotation servo installed and operational. And I thought squeezing radio equipment into U-33 was tight...the servo fits. Just... O0

The number two turret will have to have it's own mini servo mounted on the underside of the forward deck, and be connected via a Y lead to the number one turret servo.

(sorry about the crap pic, the batteries are in need of a charge  >>:-()

Rich

regiment

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 08:26:36 pm »

hello i cannot see the missouri on ebay  what page ? not very good at computers thanks regiment  :embarrassed:

das boot

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:06:06 pm »

I got mine from this guy... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BERKSHIRE-BOOKS-AND-COLLECTABLES_MODELS-TOYS-GAMES_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm Email Geoff, he's a real nice guy to deal with, very helpful.
Any problems, let me know and I'll email him for you.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 10:56:32 am »

Cracked on this morning with a bit of superstructure building, almost completed the foredeck and the forward deck turret, and I've made a start on the other turrets.

I'm learning fast with this build, main thing I've learnt is to have plenty of breaks well away from the fumes of the plastic solvent glue, and also to use a much smaller brush to apply the solvent with. But so far I'm enjoying the whole thing, it's going together pretty easily.

Rich

(now if only I could learn to take a decent picture.....  {:-{ )

ronkh

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 12:02:40 pm »

U33.

"it's going together pretty easily."

I do hope these are not like famous last words!

Looking very nice and look forward to more pics of your build.

Ron.

das boot

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »

Same as that Ron!

Anyways, onwards and upwards...spent an amusing hour thisarvo making the two stern mounted spotter plane catapults rotate.

Quite easy to do, just a short length of brass wire fitted into the base of the catapult and a wheel collet under the deck.

Rich

andyn

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 04:35:21 pm »

Watching with great interest :-))

For a challenge, I have decided to make Revell Germanys Smit Houston tug. Build thread will follow.

Good luck with it, I may steal some ideas ok2

das boot

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »

Thanks Andy, and good luck with your build. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying this one.

err...there will be a charge of course, for any ideas borrowed  :D

Rich

das boot

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »

I cannot believe just how quickly this boat is growing...a nice steady hour or so tonight has seen the best part of the main superstructure almost completed. Just a few small fiddley bits to go on, and then I start on the funnels and the conning tower assembly.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 08:30:56 pm »

Did a bit more to the upper bridge tonight and assembled the forward funnel. It will soon be time to think about getting some paint on...

Rich

andyn

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:45:37 pm »

And you'll have to take it all apart again to paint it ok2

das boot

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 05:14:26 pm »

Ah...I have a cunning plan Andy. Everything that I've glued down is painted in the overall battleship grey...the parts that need another colour aren't attached as yet. Everything that's on the decks still lifts off so as I can paint the decks and all the fittings thereon.

Y'see? Sneaky one, eh? Us old council shirk...sorry, workers, ain't half as daft as we looks, y'know.   %)

Rich

andyn

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »

Ahaa we've got a clever one.... %)

das boot

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 06:27:56 pm »

Ahaa we've got a clever one.... %)

I'll have you know I sat my NVQ's in wheelie bin assembling, Andy... (put one wheel on axle, push through holes in bottom edge of bin, put other wheel on axle...job done) I'm now about to sit another NVQ in how to deliver a wheelie bin.... ('ere you are mate, sign 'ere) Our council knows how to waste council taxes....

Clever old lot, ain't we?

Rich

craftysod

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 06:34:47 pm »

Rich
two more NVQ's to obtain
1.How to load said wheelie bin
2.How to move above (no more than ten feet) health and safety reasons
 :-))
Mark

das boot

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:53 pm »

Rich
two more NVQ's to obtain
1.How to load said wheelie bin
2.How to move above (no more than ten feet) health and safety reasons
 :-))
Mark

Steady man, steady....I'm not allowed to load or move loaded wheelie bins. Not trained and not my job...I just deliver empty ones!

Anyway, back to the Mighty Mo...installed the tiny esc tonight, it fits perfectly. Motors should be here soon (so the shop keeps telling me) then I can get the wiring up done. One more servo to fit in for the stern turret when the motors are installed, and then it's out with the paint.

Rich

craftysod

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 09:26:27 pm »

That is a small esc,watching this build with interest,
cant wait till finish,probabaly in a week or two cos off the speed your going,
wd
Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.