Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tamiya battleship BB-63 USS Missouri  (Read 18401 times)

das boot

Re: The Tamiya battleship BB-63 USS Missouri
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:23:12 pm »

You are quite correct Mark, I've never seen an esc that small before, it's amazing. It'll be a while yet before the Mighty Mo gets her bottom wet though, still waiting for the motors and I have yet to buy the battery pack.

Did a bit more to the superstructure tonight and started on building up the high angle AA guns (HOW many have I got to make?)  %%
I only made three of them in half an hour! They are so small it's a job to see the little perishers...

Rich

das boot

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:26:55 pm »

These are the tiny high angle AA guns in the housings on the turret tops.

Rich

(Should have gone to Specsavers....)

das boot

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 05:45:41 pm »

The Mighty Mo got her hull wet today for the first time...just enough water in the domestic test tank (aka the bath..) to float her, well I didn't want to push my luck, did I?  :embarrassed:

Anyway, first trials were spot on, she has a bit of list to port but then she still needs fitting out properly, at the moment she has no engines or batteries (I'm STILL waiting for the motors to arrive  >>:-( ) but I was well pleased with the results. When I lifted her out, she was bone dry inside, despite being left in the bath for over an hour.  :-))

On now to the slipway for final fitting out, installation of the batteries and motors as and when they arrive, then she's off to the dockyard for painting.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 02:30:13 pm »

Seeing as how I'm off work due to a nasty and very painful groin strain (don't ask...ok?  :embarrassed:) I've cracked on with a bit more of the superstructure detail assembly. Radar masts, fire control centres and the various radio antenna are now all together and ready for painting.

Yes, I know brass etched replacements would be the way to go, I'm saving the added expense of that sort of thing for the next one. Building the Missouri was just to see how I'd get on building a surface ship in this scale...so far it's been ok (ish) so the next one will be..... ;).....(answers on a postcard please....)

Rich

amdaylight

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 06:04:56 pm »

Seeing as how I'm off work due to a nasty and very painful groin strain (don't ask...ok?  :embarrassed:) I've cracked on with a bit more of the superstructure detail assembly. Radar masts, fire control centres and the various radio antenna are now all together and ready for painting.

Yes, I know brass etched replacements would be the way to go, I'm saving the added expense of that sort of thing for the next one. Building the Missouri was just to see how I'd get on building a surface ship in this scale...so far it's been ok (ish) so the next one will be..... ;).....(answers on a postcard please....)

Rich

You mentioned it and then asked us not to ask ;)  so now we have to ask  . . . . what did yo do to yourself ????? Lifting to many of those bins? ;) By the way what are you going to use for props on the Mighty Mo?

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

das boot

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 07:38:17 pm »

Rich

You mentioned it and then asked us not to ask ;)  so now we have to ask  . . . . what did yo do to yourself ????? Lifting to many of those bins? ;) By the way what are you going to use for props on the Mighty Mo?

Andre

Andre, you are not far wrong when you mention bins, it's just embarrassing to mention. OK...I was taking a fully loaded glass recycling bin up on the truck's tail lift when it started to slip away from me...(they weigh in at nearly a ton  :o) I grabbed the handle on the bin, and turned to pull it back and felt a twinge in my leg, thought no more of it and carried on doing what I was doing. Inside a couple of hours I could hardly walk, it was so painful, so I went to the docs and was told I had the classic footballer's injury, the strained groin.  :embarrassed: It's getting better now, but it's still painful to walk any distance.

As for props for the Mighty Mo, I've managed to get hold of some almost scale props from my cousin in Canada (bless her little cotton undies) and what with the adaptors that Bee on here is sending me, we should be well sorted....I hope. For the next one I'm going to use proper commercially available shafts....all four of them.

Rich

amdaylight

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 07:53:13 pm »

The reason I was asking about the props is I work in a hobby shop part time and get a real good Employee discount, I pay the stores cost about 40 to 50% off depending on the distributor. So I was kind of thinking that throwing one of the Tamiya's ships up on the to build shelf. When I do that I like to get all of the little fiddly bits and toss them in the box so when the mood moves me I don't have to go looking for any of the parts. As to the strain, I know how those things feel and it does not matter how you do them they just plain HURT, get well soon. :-))

Andre :-)

das boot

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 12:12:26 am »

Perhaps I should be asking you about my next Tamiya then Andre... :-))

The results of an hours worth of assembly tonight...all the 5" high angle guns put together ready for the paint brush. I was sceptical over building these, but once I'd done one, it was easy from then on in. It's made a good prequel for the next lot...16 x 40mm Bofors AA guns.   {:-{

My next one won't have as many guns....

Rich

das boot

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 08:25:19 pm »

Had a couple of days break from building up sixteen tiny Bofors AA 40mm guns, it was driving me mad!

I had a bit of a move round of the radio gear, I'd noticed that the servo arm of the forward gun turret servo was rubbing on the forward deck section, so a slight alteration was called for.

The two 280 motors arrived, so I've fixed them in position. I used a drop of superglue on the motor case and attached them to an 1" long section of the tapered end of a clothes peg, then a drop of silicone sealant fixes them in postion nicely. Not quite permanantly, you get them out if needs be, but I don't plan to move them.
The couplings are made from a slice of rubber tube (not shown in the pics) and everything seems to line up nicely, both motors run quietly and smoothly.

Next job is complete the motor installation by wiring everything up, then it'll be back to building 40mm AA guns.... >:-o

Rich

das boot

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 12:15:12 pm »

First trials with the plastic tubing motor/propshaft couplings failed miserably, the tube I used was far too stiff and resulted in the starboard motor coming adrift from it's mounting  >>:-(  >:-o

I've rebuilt the couplings using sections of ball point inner tube, bits of brass  tube and a couple of brass collets, and used small bore silicone fuel tubing for the flexible joins. It's much better now, everything runs much smoother, and both motors will run at very slow speeds. Next job is to shorten the propshafts, fit the M4 adaptors that Bee kindly made for me and fit the correct brass props. Then it's time for the initial sea trials... ;)

Rich

das boot

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:36 am »

Spent a very entertaining couple of hours this morning bending brass wire into intricate shapes...it seemed like a good idea to have the rear turret working in unison with the front one, so as I could take aim at a target and swing the turrets round to either port or starboard in order to fire a broadside salvo. Yea... >:-o In 1/72nd scale...easy. In 1/350th scale...a different kettle of fish.

Having bent a whole length of brass wire into several different shapes, none of which worked any sense, I made up a short piece of brass wire, sunk it into a short legth of brass tube which was glued into a hole in the radio deck, added two of Ramesh's collets, bent up some more wire and connected everything...result!  :-))

Both forward and stern turrets now rotate perfectly in unison at last. I can'r seem to get the middle turret to rotate properly yet, but there's plenty of time yet...it will.

Rich

craftysod

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »

Looking good Rich,we are still watching with interest.
Quick question how are you going to make all 16 40mm bofors rotate together  :}
Mark

das boot

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 03:43:21 pm »

The turret linkages were bad enough, now I'm trying to work out how to install gunfire sound simulation...the idea is that when the 16" turrets rotate fully, the servo arm will hit a microswitch and and trigger a sound board to create a sound similar to a full broadside salvo being unleashed. Problem is, I'm starting to run out of room inside the hull...there's still the main battery pack to get in there somewhere.  :o
I'm still looking at installing working lights too...if (IF) I can find LED's that are small enough. Oh, and the spotter plane catapults at the stern...they will rotate as well. (I hope....)

Rich (going slightly mad...)  O0

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »

Have you thought about fibre optics for the lights?  You only need one light source then and you can install the fibre just about anywhere.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 05:17:46 pm »

Hi Rich
Where are you fitting the water wings to cope with all this weight you keep squeezing in ?  ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 05:43:37 pm »

Have you thought about fibre optics for the lights?  You only need one light source then and you can install the fibre just about anywhere.

Good thinking BB, I hadn't thought of that. I'll investigate that more closely... :-))

Hi Rich
Where are you fitting the water wings to cope with all this weight you keep squeezing in ?  ok2

Every tiny bit of space that isn't filled with something I'll fill with foam DD, so far I'm fairly OK on the waterline, but the battery pack will no doubt take care of any spare freeboard I have, I'll have to be really careful from then on in. The next one won't be quite so bad as this, I've decided...and it will be bigger!  %)

Rich

das boot

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »

Just had a very pleasant surprise..DickyD, you got me to worrying about the weight of the Mighty Mo, so I've just carried out a quick bath test. With a set of Duracell dry cells in position (I'm only going to use a four cell battery pack) and everything on board that will be onboard, she floats with a good 3/8" freeboard to spare all along the water line as marked on the instruction sheets, so I'm well pleased with that. We'll not be making that terminal dive just yet  {-)  although the old girl will be a calm water boat I think.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 08:43:38 am »

Had a change of plan with the Mighty Mo, I wasn't happy with the prop shafts so I've ripped them out and ordered a pair of shafts from Howes in Oxford. Whilst I was flashing my flexible friend I bought a set of brass rudders as the ones I'd fitted didn't seem to be 'right' somehow, so a complete stern refit is underway. A pair of new motor mounts is under construction as well, hopefully to make the whole boat look and perform much better. Got a cracking pair of Raboesch brass 25mm props from Howes, they really look the business, and Dave the ACTion man sent me the main battery pack.

Hopefully by this time next week the Mighty Mo will be back in operational status and practically ready for her sea trials on open water.

Rich

das boot

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 07:33:44 pm »

An update on progress on the Mighty Mo..

Following the battle damge incurred when I knocked the hull off my desk, ripping the rudder out, bending the new shafts and cracking the hull where the shafts exited, I've had to plate over the damage with plastic card. I filled the holes, sanded it down and then glued two plates over the damaged areas, making sure that the edges were well covered with PlasticWeld solvent.

Here's a pic of the repair so far...not exactly what you'd call 'hull plating', but at least the damaged areas are covered.

Rich

andyn

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »

I bet there was some swearing involved there...

How on earth did you manage that?

das boot

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »

I bet there was some swearing involved there...

How on earth did you manage that?

I found it very easy Andy..( >>:-() I caught the extreme edge of the bows in my sleeve, the hull went off my desk, caught the edge of the desk in the shafts as it went down, I went to grab it and must have pushed it further under the desk(which probably caused the bending in the shafts) and pulled both shafts out of the hull and cracked it at the same time. It only fell just over two feet, I couldn't believe the amount of damge it caused....'gosh and bother it' I said. Or something like that... O0

Rich
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.