Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleet Controls/Digifleet  (Read 3918 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Fleet Controls/Digifleet
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:29:15 pm »

Fleet/Digifleet still have a website up and running but the nil response to email or phone calls and the lack of advertising appears to indicate that they have ceased trading. If that is the case - and I would like to be proved wrong - can anybody recommend any other company that would undertake servicing or modifications?

Fleet gear sells well on eBay and my 18 year old Tx/Rx/servos still work like new (Futaba and co eat your hearts out!) and I suspect that I am not alone in this quest.

Roger in France

Re: Fleet Controls/Digifleet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:45:15 am »

Yes, they went out of business 4 maybe 5 years ago. They had a Web Page selling off the last of their stock on the Internet for ages (long after they had sold most of the items). I have a set of their gear and like it very much. It is possible to buy leads to interconnect other mfgs. gear. The trouble is they had a different system of wiring which is not compatable and so you need these leads. Any  competent repair/maintenance company should be able to do repairs for you and make up leads if you need to replace components with mainstream gear, as Digifleet spares are no longer available.

What price they would charge and their decision to bother or not will be reflected in if they are prepared to do one-off jobs with little future in it.

Roger in France.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:54:13 am »

I thought someone took over the repair business for a bit - have they stopped trading too? I have a a set with a minor fault that I'd like to get fixed.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:50:41 am »

The original owners of Fleet did sell up a few years back and sold off their old stock but then the business was bought by Lipeatts who recommenced production of Rx, ESC etc. They also had plans to restart Tx production but that came to nothing and I suspect EU type approval was the cause. The website is still running and www.digifleet.co.uk clicks through to www.hcltd.force9.co.uk/fcs. However, the phone rings out and email disappears into a black hole.  Even the Editor of a model mag formerly running their advertising could throw no light on the matter.

Anybody who can give me the details of a company prepared to do maintenance/mods will earn my gratitude (and a pint if within staggering distance). Given the continued popularity of Fleet gear and the good prices it still attracts on eBay, I suspect somebody is missing a trick - there's certainly a demand for the kit and back-up service.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:06:24 am »

But IF the company has folded again is there enough business to sustain a good profitable company?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 04:08:02 pm »

Bob,

Fleet was manufacturing and distributing - not simply modding and repairing. I suspect that they folded because of the inability to compete with imports and the costs of putting a new Tx line through EC type approval. Given that there does not appear to be anybody on the market offering the service and that there is a demand (I'm sure that I'm not alone in this?), then there is the makings of a small niche market that should keep somebody profitably occupied.

Barry M

RW

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 01:18:15 pm »

Last May (2006) I sent my complete XP/FM incl 7 servos to Lippeats for a service and re-callibration and still haven't seen anything of it-I am truly ------ off!  >:( >:( >:(

I've managed to get through on the phone once or twice and have had promises but no action. The website is still active but can't make contact-I guess it will have to be put in the hands of the Office of Fair Trading

The pity is I really liked the kit

Is anyone else in the same position?

Rob

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 03:54:04 pm »

Rob,

You're lucky to get a reply! All I got was either a recorded message or silence.  It's a great pity that a once very reputable company (with its former owners) has ended up this way. I wish you luck in getting your gear back. Do you live close enough to try banging on their door?

Barry M  :'(

RW

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:24 am »

Thanks for your thoughts Barry.

I live in S Wales near Chepstow so I could pay them a visit-will probably take a trip next week-will keep you informed of progress.

Cheer

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.