Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TID TUG  (Read 84908 times)

ggeorge

TID TUG
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:41:50 am »

HI Members,
  It like I was successful the third time. Here are some pix of my TID build. Looking for any detail pix of TID. I have all the info I could locate on the internet. Pix of coaling scuttles and any other fittings that may help.

ggeorge

Re: TID TUG
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:52 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
 Here are a few more pix of TID. Here the super structure has been primered. The other pix is of the interiorwith motor and rudder servile. The motor is a power seat motor. Ideal for tugs as they are high torque and low rpm and I use a direct drive. The red mounting plate is a piece of 3/32 steal plate I am sure I will need the balance and it is ideal to drill and tap to mount hardware to.

ggeorge

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:55:00 am »

Hi Mayhem Members,
 I finally got back at the TID. Had a problem with the Bulwark web frames. They were too wide and the top rail was going to look way out of scale. With them all being installed this was not an easy job to cut them back. I managed to cut them back with a dremal saw blade. So here are a few more photos.
G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:17:29 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Just a update on my build. After the rubbing strake was glued in place it was then drilled and screwed with #4 brass flat head screws and then filled and sanded. The stern was drilled and doweled. This is going to be a working tug and I want it to be durable.Here are a few recent pix. The hull is now primed. The next task is the rudder and skeg.
  G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:18:11 am »

build

ggeorge

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 01:19:17 am »

build

ggeorge

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:42:28 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
 An update on my TID. Working on the skeg and rudderat this time. Still a little bit to do before priming. To make it more scale increas the diameter o

ggeorge

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 01:45:21 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Lets try this again. For some reason it auto posted before I was ready to post. 

ggeorge

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:58 am »

Hi Third Try,
  I will just post the photos.

ggeorge

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:52:53 am »

Hi All,
  Forth try I will just try photos.

ggeorge

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:55:08 am »

TID

ggeorge

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 02:07:38 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Looks like I finally got through. Sorry for the repeats photos. The rudder and skeg will be made using brass. I increased the shaft diameter by turning a couple of bushings and sliding a larger shaft over the original one. The rudder is two flat brass pieces and round shaft on one edge with a larger tube with a notch cut the length and slid over the edge and soldered. The other edge has a square piece and soldered. Hope the photos help.
G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 05:06:39 am »

Hi All,
 Just finished the rest of the skeg and rudder assembly. The skeg is a series of brass plates I fabricated and soldered to the prop shaft. The bottom support to the rudder can be removed to slide out the rudder. All the cavities were filled with resin. On to the next project on the TID.
G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 05:08:53 am »

TID Rudder
  Primered

ggeorge

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:28 am »

Hi Again,
  Here are a few more photos of my TID. I finished installing the top rail and now working on the stern. I made up a brass frame and cut some teak for the top planking which will be in sections that can be removed. I will post more photos as I progress.
  G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:06:35 am »

Hi Again,
 Started to work on the fittings for the deck. Here are a few photos of what is completed so far. With the holidays fast approaching the building will be slowing down until the new year. So I wish every one a happy and safe Christmas and all the best in the new year.
G.George

ggeorge

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:58:30 am »

Hi All,
 I managed to get a little work on the TID over the holidays. I spent most of the time on the windless. The drawings were not that good and the only photo I had was of the one on TID 164 which is painted black making it hard to pick out detail. A friend of mine and a mayhem member "OLDIRON" located a couple of great photos which were a great help. So here is what I came up with which seams to be fairly close to the photos.
G. George 

ggeorge

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 12:04:27 am »

Hi Again,
  I could no locate information on TID steering quadarant so I used information I had on a similar tug of the same vintage. This is in an area with limited visibility so for now it will have to do. Any info in this area is much appreciated as it can be changed in the future. Here are a few photos of this area.
  G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:19:29 am »

Hi Kno3,
 The rudder servo can be seen on a page #1 photo. This servo will operate the rudder below deck which is connected to the rudder quadarant and will operate the chains which I intend to also turn the ships wheel. Thats the plan at this time.
  G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:52:20 am »

Hi Mayhem Mates,
  Just a little update on my TID build. I have finished most of the deck fittings and have moved to the superstructure. The stack is were I have started. At 3/4in. scale the diameter is about 2 1/2in. I was going to use a brass tube but due to weight I decided to make one. I realise that a tug this size the weight would not add much but I like to keep as much weight as possible below the water line. Here are a few photos of the stack build. It is standard plank (3/32 ply plank) on frame with a covering of fiberglass. When finished I will cut out the inside ribs. This will be a tilting stack so this is only the top section.
 G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:54:04 am »

Stack photos,

ggeorge

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 05:11:14 am »

Hi Mayhem crew,
  Still working on the stack. It took a bit longer than I thought it would but I think I finally got the stack to hinge similar to the one on the TID. Without any drawings I am working on photos of TID 164. Still a bit of work on the stack and I will post more photos when finished.
  G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »

Yes to the counterweights. I am working on them now. I will post more photos when finished.

ggeorge

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

Here is the counterweight. I used led and the weight worked to offset the weight of the stack.

ggeorge

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 11:49:53 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
 The stack is finally finished and works quite well using the led as the counterweights.Here are a couple photos of the primed stack.
  G. George
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.