Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TID TUG  (Read 84924 times)

ggeorge

Re: TID TUG
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 03:03:57 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
 Back on line and back working on the TID. My wife purchase a new chesterfield and I ended up painting half the house to match the colour of the new furniture. I sure most of you have been there so I will spare you the details. I compleated the hull and the deck with all the fittings on the deck. Just waiting to get some warm weather so I can get outside and do the painting of the hull and deck and fittings. That is a 4in. prop which I hope will supply sufficient thrust for a tug this size. Here are a few updated photos.

ggeorge

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 12:49:14 am »

Roller fairlead constructoin.

ggeorge

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 10:53:08 pm »

Hi Mayhem Crew,

I have had a very frustrating week. I was making the cowl vents for the TID. The result below are probably about plan D. After a few falls starts I borrowed a vacuum former from one of the club members. COWL VENTS!....... from this scratch builder probably the part that I most dreaded building. Sounds like a topic for the chat section,what do you find is the most difficult part when building your models.

G. George   

ggeorge

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 01:26:35 am »

Hi again,

Here are a couple of other vents that gave me some grief. The cowl opening on the buff colored on is from my wife's measuring spoons which worked out perfect. The grey one is made out of three plastic plumbing pieces ground out to suit. As most scratch builders there is nothing safe in the house when we are looking for a solution to a building problem. Here are another shot of the TID. I hope I am not booring you.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 01:32:23 am »

Just an update on how things are progressing. I have started to do the hatches and here a few photos of the progress. This is slow going in that I will have them all operating and the hinges take time to make. I will post more photos when finished the hatches.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 03:48:39 pm »

Me again,

I always seem to have trouble locating figures for the scale 3/4-ft (1:16). By accident I was looking through a diecast catalogue for cars and noticed that 1:18 is a popular scale for cars. They also have diorama kits in that scale. So I ordered a set of figures and a set of torches. They came today and placing them on the tug without doing any alterations. They seem to work with the scale being that close.These figures are a hard plastic and can be easily altered which I will do at a later date. Here are a few photos of the products.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 03:50:12 pm »

Figures

ggeorge

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Just a quick update and a couple of photos. Work progressing on the superstructure. I will keep you updated as I compleat more fittings,

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 02:10:13 pm »

Hi Craftysod.
   These figures can be located at the below web sight. They are located here on Canada but I am sure that are diecast supplye rs in the UK.

diecastbymail.ca

ggeorge

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 07:07:15 pm »

Hi All,

Here are a couple photos. Progressing slowly but steady. Spring arrived today and the ice has finally gone out and as soon as we get some warmer weather the boats will be in the water. For all of us in the colder climate the boating season is about to start. 

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 11:45:43 pm »

Hi All,
  I took a brake from working on the hatches and decided to built the ships wheel. I managed to locate a couple of gears from my scrap bin that I think will work. Anything that is scrapped I always salvage the gears. This has payed off numerous times over the years. Here a a few photos of the ships wheel. I did not have any photos of the TID wheel but I did find a photo of a wheel of the same vintage and with the drawing from the plans this is what I came up with. The wheel can be changed in future if need be.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 11:47:43 pm »

Ship wheel

ggeorge

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »

Hi All,
  Finished off the ships wheel and the steering drives.Here are a few photos of the finished product.

ggeorge

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 03:49:58 am »

Hi Members,
  I just finished the towing hook. I did not have any photos of the actual towing hook on the TID so I relied on the drawing and went from there. Here are a few photos of the tow hook build. And Barry I did not make a living at this. I am just another marine modeler who has learner from other builders and a forum like this is one of the best learning places. I have learned plenty from my own mistakes. I make my living as a District Fire Chief with the city of Toronto. With almost 36 years under my belt I will be retiring in the end of June.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 03:51:41 am »

Towing Hook

ggeorge

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:23 pm »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
   Still working on the superstructure, Lots of fabrication but I can see the end in sight. The weather is getting better and looking forward to getting out an do some painting on the TID. Here are a few photos of were I am at this time. I hope I am not booring everbody.
   G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 01:30:35 am »

Hi Again,
  Work continues on. Here are a few photos of the sliding hatch and the doors. I hope the photos are self explanatory but if there are any questions feel free to ask.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 03:18:48 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Here is an update on the TID progress.  The hull and the deck is primed and waiting for paint. With some good weather I hope to have it painted in the next few days. Also working on getting the electrical to the point that I can get a water test. Here are a few photos of the electrical work in progress. I have mounted all components on a removable tray for ease of servicing. The two servos have a cam which will operate the switches for the smoke unit and the sound and the lights. The switches for the receiver and battery and the recharging of the batteries will be located under the large hatch cover in front of the stack. Looking forward to having the TID in the water for a water test.

G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

TID

ggeorge

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 04:40:38 am »

Hi Again,
  Here are a few photos of the latching device I designed to hold the superstructure firmly in place. It latches to the bulkhead that the towing hook is attached and is held in place by a spring.Access to the latch is by sliding the hatch back by the towing hook and opening the doors.
 G. George

ggeorge

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45:52 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
 It is great to be back. I have been quite busy in the past couple of months with getting my sports car on the road for the summer.
A few problems with that but we will not go there. Also I had to get a new camera so I could not load any photos. I have a Cannon Power Shot SX10IS which is working out great. The TID has taken a back seat for the past couple of months. I started back on her last week and got the hull painted. I do not know how much you all like painting, but I rather be building. That little masking job on the deck took me about 5 hours to do about 15 minuets on airbrushing. So here are a few photos of the progress and will keep you informed of the progress.

Gerald George 

ggeorge

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 03:47:25 am »

TIT Painting

ggeorge

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 09:11:53 pm »

Regarding a steam plant. We have a couple of steam club members and they love the TID size and the access for a steam plant.
I have never been into the steam part of the hobby tho it is food for thought.

ggeorge

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:54 am »

Hi all,
  Here are a couple of photos as the painting progresses. Now I can permanently place the fittings in place and get all the deck finished
and then start back on the superstructure.

ggeorge

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 04:22:52 am »

Hi All,
  Here are a couple of photos of the smoker in action. It puts out plenty of smoke but the smoke is to light in colour.
Hes any of the mayhem crew come across a recipe for  producing a more realistic smoke. The product I am using is
CREST smoke fluid that is used in the model locomotives. Also hope to have TID in the water next week at our club fun float
and BBQ. I will have more photos after the Madden voyage. All the electrical is installed to operate except for lighting and sound and
the superstructure still has to be finished.

I would like to thank everyone for there kind comments on the build and if there questions on the TID build
feel free to jump in.

G. George   

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.