Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TID TUG  (Read 84910 times)

ggeorge

Re: TID TUG
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 12:48:18 am »

Hi Mayhem Crew,
  Our club, Kawartha Marine Modelers had our annual fun run and BBQ. With the help of Oldiron we placed her in the water. People
who build large boats especially tugs need all the the friends they can muster. I blasted TID out by guess at the sight. More good luck
than by design it was not far off. As you can see by the photos she needs a bit more weight in the bow.Enjoy the photos as they may not be much progress until the fall on the TID. Summer schedule full with other activities with car shows with Oldiron, family activity etc.
Looking forward to out trip to England at the end of Augest for three weeks. Going over with Oldiron (John).
  I will place more photos as TID progresses, enjoy your Summer and lots of running. Also we hope to be at the Model Boat Convention at Warrington and if any members are going and would like to meet drink and a chit chat e-mail either Oldiron or myself.
  On another note it is official I am RETIRED I have received my first pension cheque.

G. George           

ggeorge

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 12:49:38 am »

TID

ggeorge

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 12:51:01 am »

TID

ggeorge

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 01:57:53 am »

Hi All,
 I am back after a hectic past few months. I did go to England and had a great time. Got back and finished some construction around the house and now I have placed the car in storage for the winter. I guess the only thing left is to finish off the TID. I have the superstructure to finishand I started making some fittings last week. Here are a few photos of a few of them. I will send more photos as the build continues.   

ggeorge

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 04:24:38 am »

Hi Again,
 To answer a couple of questions. As for the whistle, it is only for show, I am not that good! The smaller hex heads that I can not purchase I will make. I place a pin or small nail in a vice grip and file the flat and then do the angles. Then I snip off most of the shaft and with a drop of glue place in pre drilled hole. This is quick and simple and when painted will look the part. Hope the photo will help tp explain. Also here are a couple of the stack operating with the whistle and steam pipe.     

ggeorge

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 04:24:46 am »

Hi From the great white north,
 Just received our first snow storm. Spent two hours clearing snow from driveway and decks. But I did manage to get some building time in to work on the fire monitor which is almost compleat. Here are a couple of photos.

ggeorge

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 12:22:52 am »

Hi Mayhem crew,
 With the Christmas holidays fast approaching and so much to do I am still able to get some work on the TID fittings. I am working in the navigation lightsat the moment. I did not have any photos of the one on the TID so did a search and found some which I think will be similar to the period. Here are a few photos as they look at this time without the lenses.

ggeorge

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »

Hi All
 Hope you all had a great time over the holidays. Finally back in the shop and continuing on the TID fittings. While at Chatam I took some photos of TID 164 and I am using her as a bit of a reference for my build and other TID references. Here is some photos of one of the utility boxes on the stern of 164 which I just compleated. My TID is no particular one and is being built to my own specs and will post more photos as I continue. 

ggeorge

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 12:27:46 am »

Here are a few more photos of the finished utilities boxes. The longer one is for storage of rope.

ggeorge

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:00 am »

Utility boxes

ggeorge

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »

Work continues on fitting out my TID tug. Here are a few photos of a ladder and the mounting hardware and the ladder mounted to the supperstructure. Also, would like to thank all for their generous comments and their interest in the TID build.

ggeorge

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:15 am »

I would like to thank you for that information. I do not know if the product is available here in Canada but if possible is there a web address on the product. Also most of the brass will be painted but I have other projects that I use polish.

ggeorge

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 08:10:51 pm »

Hi Derek,
 I hope the photo will answer your question on the products I use. To sounder a joint I use the liquid flux and brush it on and then I will cut off a small piece of solder and place it on the joint. Now using a small butane torch I will heat the joint away from were I placed the solder and now the melted solder will flow towards the hotter area. If I have other solder joints close by that I am concerned of melting the solder I will soak a small piece of paper towel and place it on that joint. This may not be the best and easiest method of soldering brass but it works well for me. Enjoy your summer down under as we are having our typical Canadian winter.   

ggeorge

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »

Hi back again,
 I just finished making the anchor for my TID. The plans do not show an anchor but TID 164 showed an anchor on the deck so I decided to make a copy of that anchor. Hope the photos will explain my method of construction.

ggeorge

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2010, 01:34:03 am »

Hi Again,
  Work continues on. I spent the last few days working on the engine room skylights. Here are a few photos of the results so far. These are the smallest working latches I have ever attemped. After a few false starts I did get the result I can live with. 

ggeorge

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 04:11:01 pm »

Good morning all, Especially those in a nice warm climate. It is -22C this morning and I think it will be a good day to work in the TID.
Here are a few photos of the build as it plods along.

ggeorge

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 04:12:38 pm »

door latch

ggeorge

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:18 am »

Here are the last of the fittings to be made before I start on the wheelhouse. The photos are of the halliard cleats and the lifebuoy brackets. Hope to start the wheelhouse in the next few days. I will keep you posted as I progress.

ggeorge

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »

Hi All,
 Started work on wheelhouse. Here are a couple of photos of the start.

ggeorge

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »

Hi again,
  Took a brake from the wheel house and decided to have some fun with the head. Here are a few photos and I hope it will not offend
anyone.

ggeorge

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2010, 04:20:57 pm »

Sorry for the repeat. Here is the one that I missed

ggeorge

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:06 pm »

Back to the wheelhouse. Just finished the telegraph for the wheelhouse. Downloaded some information from the internet and this is what I came up with. Here are some photos of the finished product.

ggeorge

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »

Truly amazing Jerry, still have a Bombadier on the fridge when your back over, can't find a decent stream to watch the Canada-Norway game so I might as well go to bed.
Hi to John,

Robert

Hi Robert. You missed a good game. Hope all is well. Every thing is still frozen solid here.

ggeorge

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »

Just as a mater of interest, looking at your superb brasswork, I got to wondering how heavy this model will be.
A truly beautiful job of work. BY.

I have not calculated the actual weight. Being a 52 in. tug ant anyone who likes to build tugs know it is a heavy tug.It took two of us to launch her last year. Apparently there is a formula to figure out the displacement and if anyone has it please let me know. As it is nearly compleated I will let you know the finished weight and how much bales I add in the future. Any guesses!   

ggeorge

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 12:01:44 am »

Back again,
  Just finished of the compas and it looks like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with only a few fittings left to compleat. Here are a few photos of the compas. Also for Robert, hope you find the game tonight
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 20 queries.