Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLA Gel Cells  (Read 1622 times)

packy46

SLA Gel Cells
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »

Hello Gents:
A question about sealed lead acid gel cells, I read on a site that SLA's had a nasty problem with fire ,and  gases corroding metal in your boat motors and running gear etc. Sealed is sealed right.
I have read all the posts on MBM I could,I see not evidence to support the above.
Plan on two 12 volt x 7 or 12 Ah,in parallel. Boat will be vented and fanned as seen on this site,with PC fans....great idea.
Please set me straight on this.
Thanks
Tim

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SLA Gel Cells
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:15:03 pm »

SLA Gel cells are perfectly suitable for boat models. Under normal conditions they are indeed sealed and can be used in any position although upright is best if you can do this. The only thing likely to make them gas is if you charge them with too high a current. Normally it's best to keep the charging current to around 10% of the nominal cell capacity. Run a search on SLA or Battery on this site and you will find lots of information.

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:15 pm »

As I understand it SLAs vent when being charged. However, I have used them for the last 10 years with no problem. Like a lot of things treat them well, ie frequent charging, and you should have no problems.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:55 pm »

SLAs will only vent if overcharged. Normally the gases produced by charging will be recombined within the cell. Too high a charging current will however increase the pressure to the extent that the safety vent will open and this will allow the gases to escape but at the same time damaging the battery.

Colin

packy46

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:43 pm »

Colin and Doug...
Thanks guys , appreciate the reply,and the info.
Thanks again.
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.