Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: static tug modelling???  (Read 2677 times)

toptugger

static tug modelling???
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:32:21 pm »

i kinda feel a bit out of place... i want to build a tug, prob the yorkshireman or al khubar..BUT.. not as a RC boat, just a static diorama of a tug in dry dock being worked on... i mentioned this to a guy today at the model exhibition and he frowned at me and turned away. am i missing something here or was he just bonkers...OR more to the point am i!!!! >>:-(

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
Re: static tug modelling???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:28 pm »

Why not build the tug as a RC model and display it in a diorama of it being worked on in a dry dock..... best of both worlds then :-)) :-)) :-))

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:39:20 pm »

As somebody (maybe it was me  8) )once said

If it feels good do it :-))

Don't let anybody who doesn't appreciate you interests put you off. The bloke you spoke to sounds pretty rude, not to say narrow minded, to me. So IMO go for it

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »

There is just as much skill required in building a diorama as building a working model I would have thought .

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:40:15 pm »

Build what you want to build, not to please someone else. If you want to build the tug as a static model, do it. Just do not forget to post the pictures of the build.

I have seen some incredible dioramas, I actually think they take more skill than normal radio control modelling.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:40 pm »

There was a miniature tug diorama in the Model Enginer Exhibition as few years back which I think won an award. Not enough people build these sort of models so definitely go for it! Usually they are small scale dioramas but sometimes you do see bigger ones.

Colin

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:53:38 pm »

Here is a thought

Depending on the scale / space available you could build a series of tugs showing the development of hull form and propulsion systems over the years.

Be tempted myself, except for the 16 RC boats on my list that I want to build.  :-))

longshanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:55:35 pm »

Some of the best, most "moving" models I've seen have been diorama  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toptugger

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:46:42 pm »

wow...what a response!!! thanks guys.. i will be doing it!!!! and i will post the pictures.

Think it will be the new "yorkshireman" when it comes out in the spring, possible in a dry dock repair scenario....maybe i'll build a whole dockyard %% {-) but first i have to finish andrea gail. i'll post some pics now under a new topic. i'd really appreciate any comments good and bad...especially if you know a better way to do things.

cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.