Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: if they dont like what you say  (Read 7110 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: if they dont like what you say
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »

As regards moderation I would only ask that the moderators themselves follow the rules as laid down, this is not the case in the opening post of this thread and has not always been the case on other posts.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5972.0

"Moderators will indicate the reason for the moderation on the post if it has been modified."

This information allows the decision to be transparent to all members.

I would also ask that moderated posts remain in the thread and are not removed. Total removal of an earlier moderated post (as happened on the Obama thread) is to me like hiding evidence of one's deeds, make a decision, post the decision and stand by it, don't remove it because it makes you uncomfortable (that is how it appears).
Removal of moderated posts that I know have been on the forum makes me wonder what else is removed that I may not have seen, an uncomfortable feeling.

Hear, hear! As one who has had posts removed I couldn't agree more...

Simon

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 02:50:33 pm »

As someone who has more posts moderated than most I cant really see what you lot are going on about.

The post was moderated because it included a PM which is not allowed on the forum.

This forum is actually Martins forum and he spends a lot of time and money on it, therefore he makes the rules,

If you dont like the rules feel free to find another forum. Try Model Boats, it seems to be dying on its feet.

For a load of grown men this topic makes for very sad reading.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 02:56:02 pm »

Nice one Richard :-)) :-))

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 03:01:39 pm »

Thank you Colin, did I really write that ?

I havent been well lately.  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2008, 03:03:36 pm »

But your obviously getting better now :}

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

regiment

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 03:06:03 pm »

thank you colin for understanding what i was trying to say in a few words as possible   i was in the raf for 22 years during the cuba trouble  i think he stopped a 3rd war  he had a vision  a free world    thats all regiment

garston1

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 03:08:16 pm »

You're a star Dick :-))

garston1

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 03:13:49 pm »

Apologies, that should have read you're a star, Dick :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 03:22:57 pm »

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 05:07:56 pm »

As someone who has more posts moderated than most I cant really see what you lot are going on about.

The post was moderated because it included a PM which is not allowed on the forum.

This forum is actually Martins forum and he spends a lot of time and money on it, therefore he makes the rules,

If you dont like the rules feel free to find another forum. Try Model Boats, it seems to be dying on its feet.

For a load of grown men this topic makes for very sad reading.

All very well, but what about the posts that aren't personal messages that are deleted? If the opinions and ideas of members stretch beyond the boundaries of model boating, some of which may be controversial then don't include a section for "Chit Chat". It is an open invitation for free speech. "Grown men" actually do have strong opinions and will express them Richard. I've never seen a post on this forum that I would regard as deliberately abusive, personal and beyond the realms of what is reasonable and therefore in need of moderation. I think everyone on the forum are generally very well behaved and moderate. What is "sad" is when adults are treated like naughty children.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 05:39:50 pm »

w3bby ,

"Moderators will indicate the reason for the moderation on the post if it has been modified."

This is always carried out, but only to the poster in the form of a pm.
I am finding this thread very illuminating, posters only seem to read the last post then answer.
If you read up a bit you will find a full explanation.
The post was moderated for the inclusion of a pm, a PERSONAL MESSAGE, which is against Forum Rules and Policy.
I had no problem with the content, just the inclusion of a pm.
I would not support a general comment on the post as it COULD lead to embarrassment to the original poster.
Bob
I did read the whole thread, my definition of "on the post" is on the post, not in a PM to the member and not a few posts further down. This would also allow forum members to see the reasoning behind decisions and maybe avoid certain pitfalls themselves. Whilst we all have read  %) the rules when we joined, gentle reminders help keep everyone on track.
If the first post had stated "Moderated to remove the inclusion of a PM which is against forum rules" then we would not be having our storm in a teacup. Whilst I understand your position as regards a general comment on the post there are ways and means of expression that do not need to cause embarrassment.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 07:22:06 pm »

All very well, but what about the posts that aren't personal messages that are deleted? If the opinions and ideas of members stretch beyond the boundaries of model boating, some of which may be controversial then don't include a section for "Chit Chat". It is an open invitation for free speech. "Grown men" actually do have strong opinions and will express them Richard. I've never seen a post on this forum that I would regard as deliberately abusive, personal and beyond the realms of what is reasonable and therefore in need of moderation. I think everyone on the forum are generally very well behaved and moderate. What is "sad" is when adults are treated like naughty children.

Sorry Polobeer I've had my say and will not be drawn into this very drawn out thread though I will just reiterate, if you dont like it on this forum stop moaning and find another.
Now I'm back to my boat building.

banjo

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 07:36:57 pm »

%)

Its verbal ping pong you are all playing.... each trying to score a point..

You can see the match developing....

Then in comes the Moderator and steps on the ball!

:}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 07:52:56 pm »

Just to put things in perspective, the actual amount of moderation on the Forum compared with the number of posts made is very, very small indeed. I think some people get things way out of proportion and prefer to believe what they would like to think is happening rather than look at what is actually happening. Or, in other words "I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts!"

Colin  :police: :police: :police:

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 08:39:45 pm »

Sorry Polobeer I've had my say and will not be drawn into this very drawn out thread though I will just reiterate, if you dont like it on this forum stop moaning and find another.
Now I'm back to my boat building.

Now, I might just do that with people like you around. If you were a tad observant you might notice that I am not the only person referring to over zealous moderation. Forums are places where people discuss things - good and bad. If you find the bad to be too disagreeable then perhaps you should consider looking elsewhere at the same time as me?

Cargo

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 09:17:43 pm »

Thats the only thing that i don't like about this forum... the stupid moderator-bashing  >>:-(

Read the rules, obey them, let the mods do their job and stop whining about every little mod decision >:-o

barryfoote

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:21 pm »

Martin,

I believe we have reached a point where no good can come from further discussion and we could end up losing some valuable members. Please guys lets put this to bed now and have this topic locked........

Barry

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 09:38:27 pm »

Sounds sensible Barry.

Topic Locked

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.