Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Imara - Hunting down more details  (Read 23313 times)

Bungie 247

Imara - Hunting down more details
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:10:43 am »

Hi peeps, from reading the blurb about the Imara I know that she was requisitioned by the Royal Navy during the Second World War and renamed Perseverance. However some new information has come my way that she was based at Devonport and Chatham. Also it has been suggested that in 1958 she was sold to the British Iron and Steel Corporation and renamed Sir Rom. Can anyone confirm if any of that is true? Also does anyone have any further details of her history or (pray with real hard here) photographs?

Regards, Martin.

Brian Roberts

Imara tug build, information needed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:12:05 pm »

Hi everyone
Is there anyone out there building the Caldercraft Imara tug?

I've reached the point where I need to fit the side reinforcings and cross members into the hull and I'm trying to get my head round the instructions which read like this:
"
........and this will show how cross beams (365) are fitted, do not notch out for the side reinforcings(367) rather carry them into the rubbing strip channel mouldings......."

As I see it the side reinforcings are occupying the rubbing strip channel mouldings at this point so I can't carry the cross members into the channel mouldings because there's no room!

I'm probably being thicker than usual and can't see the wood for trees but if there is an Imara builder out there I would be glad of his help.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Imara tug build, information needed
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »

Hi Brian,

I did the original Model Boats review of Imara when she was marketed by the original Caldercraft around 1989. I'm not sure if it answers your questions but I can email you a copy if you want. As a Moderator I can see your email address so don't post it on the Forum.

Cheers,

Colin

Brian Roberts

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:04:57 pm »

Hi Colin

Thanks for the offer of your review of the Imara in the' 89 Model Boats but I have already downloaded it although I can't remember the source.

I've studied it carefully and as you stated at the time the instructions were a bit vague at that point so I'm still struggling!

There are a couple of things I would like to mention though about the present kit, first and foremost the plans are now FULL SIZE!!

The other thing is that the deck is now in two sections not, four but there is still an overlap of about 20mm when placed inside the hull!

Cheers

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »

Hi Brian,

To be honest I can't remember what I did back then! Hopefully somebody else will come to the rescue. Best of luck with the build though as she does make up into a really impressive model.

Colin

Brian Roberts

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:18:03 pm »

Hi Colin

Thanks for your prompt attention in this matter, much appreciated.

Any more Imara builders out there?

Brian

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:02:38 pm »

If my memory is right shipmate 60 used to have one, maybee he could help,he usually is a helpfull chappie......well sometimes ok2

Stavros

Brian Roberts

Re: Imara - Hunting down more details
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:03:47 am »

Many thanks Stavros and Martin, I'll trawl through all the pics on the sites you've given me Martin, and Stavros perhaps your mate will get in touch if he sees this.
Thanks again
Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:57 am »

Stavros,
Yes still got her but bought her completed, will be getting a kit in the new year.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:23 am »

also another blog : 

http://www.imarablog.org/

Brian Roberts

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:30:17 pm »

Thanks rats but I don't think Bungie has got to this stage yet, if he has he's yet to post it.

Cheers

Brian

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 12:57:56 pm »

May be these pics of my recently finished Imara deck beam layout will help.
I made little triangular fillets to fit under the main longitudinal stringers so that the cross members would butt up to the stringer resting on the fillets, just like joists do in a loft conversion at home.plenty strong enough. :-))
neil.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:09:43 pm »

Hi Neil

You're a pal! Exactly what I wanted, many thanks indeed.

Brian

Brian Roberts

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 04:38:01 pm »

Hi Neil
I notice that you have more than five cross members on your Imara, have you had to increase them because you are using steam?

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:02:23 pm »

There a 'computerised' steam Imara that I;ve seen at a few shows, I'll see if I can find the pictures.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nhp651

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 06:00:49 pm »

Not really Brian.
I once had the clumsyness( never got over it really...the clumsyness I mean) to drop a boat hull off a bench that had the minimun cross members fitted, and it all fell apart.
So I build them with a bit of overkill these days, and the deck glues better as well. :-))

Brian Roberts

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 08:13:09 pm »

Thanks Neil, good point (not your clumsiness!) I'll beef up my Imara with extra cross members.
Many thanks
Brian

Brian Roberts

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 12:06:36 am »

Good evening all,
I've got to the point in my Imara build where I need to paint the hull red below the waterline.

The favoured colour is red oxide and I'm under the impression that it's obtained from Halfords. After searching my local Halfords for red oxide (store assistants just evaporate when you need them) all I could find was "red primer".

Is this what I need or do I have to look elswhere?

Help please!

Brian

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:19 am »

Hi Brian, yes that is the stuff you want.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Brian Roberts

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 10:06:57 am »

Thanks for your help Mark, Halfords here I come!

Cheers

Brian

farrow

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 11:05:56 pm »

In answer to the original question I have attached a photo of the original as she was with the owner she worked her majority of life span with, the Admiralty service working under Captain of the Dockyard Dept of Devonport 1934-44 then Chatham 1944-58. 1958 she was sold to the British Iron and Steel Co, I believe that was a scrap company. During her life she was painted black hull and buff upperworks, the funnel band would have been azure blue, the bulwark band probably white for Guz and azure blue for Chatham. I am fairly certain I saw her as the bow tug pulling out HMS Birmingham from Chatham locks at a very young age, a very memorable sight.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »

Good afternoon Imara lovers,

Put my Imara hull on the water for the first time today and I'd appreciate some thoughts regarding the slight problems I'm encountering.

The rudder, which is the standard one as supplied and has a throw of approximately 35/40 degrees was pretty ineffective, due to the massive wash from the props. This resulted in a very poor turning circle, and when the slight breeze caught it turning was problematical to say the least!

So if anyone else has had similar problems and has come up with a solution I'd be glad to hear about it.

Many thanks

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 03:58:13 pm »

I found the same thing on the original review model, the rudder was pretty useless! Probably why they brought out the single screw version. The only way I could get her to turn was by using the motors which suggests that a mixer may be the way to go which stops or reverses the inner engine on a turn.

Colin

Brian Roberts

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 04:11:07 pm »

Thanks Colin, I think I'll be going down that route unless anyone else has other ideas.

Brian
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.