Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'RIVERDANCE' - THE END  (Read 2956 times)

tony52

'RIVERDANCE' - THE END
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:42:34 am »

Earlier this year this was the 'Riverdance' photographed at Cleveleys beach, Blackpool, after being hit by a large wave in the Irish sea.

This photograph was taken in October, showing excavators finishing off the demolition. They look like vultures finishing off their prey, on a David Attenborough wildlife TV program.

More on the vessel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Riverdance

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: 'RIVERDANCE' - THE END
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:56:21 am »

Anyone else notice how close together her shafts were in the first pic.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:35:11 am »

Yes, very close together which, presumably would have given them much less effect when used to aid steering/

Roger in France.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:46:30 pm »

Some one else pointed this out on the very long running thread on www.shipsnostalgia.com  and someone else came up with the comment about poor steerageway when running on minimum revs.
However a posting from a chap who had worked on her as CE for a number of years pointed out that it was in fact just the opposite, and that she had very good steerage at all speeds for her length/ beam ratio.
If anyone has the time, that thread is well worth the read, but  at nearly 1000 postings on the thread with many many photos,( and some of incredible imagry) it might take you a while. It's on the News and views section of the site.page 3. :-))

tony52

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:36:01 pm »

Neil,

found this via the link, which you suggest, it puts my photography to shame. However most of these photograhs were taken nearer than I was allowed, as a member of the public.

http://www.trampics.co.uk/  -- and follow the 'maritime matters' link.

Tony.

DieselDo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:08:39 pm »

Sad end to a ship.

BORIS

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:18:26 pm »

you see them pictures of them cutting up the superstructure, yet what baffles me.." you dont see any interior / furnashings/ furnature scattered around etc  ..are these superstructures compleatly devoid of any kind of furnature..seats, tables, etc

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:21 am »

they were all taken out long before the cutting up process began. :-X
It was amazing to see what was lined up on the sea front behind wire meshing before being taken off to the  scrappers.
I made an offer on a 24 man inflated liferaft( would have made a fantastic paddling pool or model boat testing tank) but the security guard just looked at me blankly.......no b*****y sense of humour) {-) {-) {-)
ceste la vie. ;D
A life ring even came up on Ebay at one stage before the poster was arrested for "plundering a wreck site" >>:-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.