Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello - (My new broken yacht!)  (Read 3693 times)

Hammer Man

Hello - (My new broken yacht!)
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »

Hello, my name is James and I live in Rutland, UK.  I have never owned a model boat before and have never really thought about owning one.  I have always liked real boats though and have today been given a model sailing yacht that is in need or repair/restoration.  I am suprised at the size of it!  I always thought models were small things!  It must be around 1.5 meters in length!  Anyway, I have no idea what it is (if models have specific names or classes) other than it has the name Mischief painted on the hull.  I have no idea how it all goes together either and don't know where to start! ho ho!  I wonder if I post some pictures this afternoon would any of you kind people perhaps be able to identify it and help me on my way?   

James.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hello - (My new broken yacht!)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:04 pm »

Hi James,
I am sure if you post pics you will get a lot of help.
Welcome aboard by the way.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Welcome. Pictures are a must.  At that size she must be nice model, loads of info on here.
..well can you land on this?

Hammer Man

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:11:54 pm »

Hi, thanks for the welcome!  I have just taken some pictures and am about to put them on the computer and then will upload them to photobucket.  Is there a limit to the number of pictures I can put in a thread? 

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:20:02 pm »

James have you read the first topic about pic size etc.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Hammer Man

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:28:38 pm »

Hi Colin, no I haven't.  I shall go and read it now.  Thanks.

garston1

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 05:31:08 pm »

Hiya, i found this on the interweb if it's any good.(Or if it's the same one)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hammer Man

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 05:50:18 pm »

Hi Garston1, thanks for that.  Nice looking boat but mine is not quite as fancy looking.. Pictures on the way! 

Thanks for the links Martin, I was already directed to those threads by Colin H.  Thankfully I already have a photobucket account which I have been using for several years to host my pictures for another forum so I am just uploading some now..

Hammer Man

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:04:39 pm »

I have started a new thread with the pictures in the Beginners section.. Can be found here

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13828.0

das boot

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 08:03:00 am »

Welcome aboard James, love the username...a man after my own heart. As my old dad used to say "if it fits then fit it...if it don't fit, thrash it with a hammer until it does fit".

Sound words... :-))

Good luck with your project!

Rich

Hammer Man

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 12:15:27 pm »

Hi Rich, thanks for the welcome! 

I have measured the boat and it is bigger than I thought, not 1.5 meters but 2 meters in length!  I have never really thought about model boats before but the more I look around the forum the more excited I am getting about owning one!  Some of the models look like real ships!  I doubt I will ever own a real boat so a model is a good comprimise eh?!  The only thing that I have noticed is that most of the men that seem to be in pictures are, shall we say, 'older'.  Is there an average age of people in the hobby or is it all ages?  I am 25 years old.  Also it seems to be just men, is this really the case or are the women just a bit shy?

Thanks again for the welcome messages,

James.

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »

James,

Yes, it is largely men but there are noticeable exceptions "Umi R...." from the States is an exceptional modeller, she is also a professional and her technical competence has helped me and others, frequently. We also have a very young, active female. There are several others and quite a few female partners, so always try to be inclusive when you refer to Mayhem Members.

And, yes, the average age is "older" (I am 65). There is a discernable pattern for some of a model making background up to the age when a family starts to develop. Then family and career demands take over but a later return to the hobby when the family has grown, work demands diminish and money becomes less of a problem.

However, the age thing is relative and many of our more mature members can behave like kids when it suits them!

On owning a 1:1 boat...quite a few Members do. Some own river craft (including narrow boats and barges), others have sea going vessels. Others aspire to owning a full size craft and build their own. Many have never been to sea and some would never wish to. We are a very catholic group.

Enjoy our hobby and enjoy all your friends on Mayhem.

Roger in France.

Hammer Man

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 02:35:09 pm »

Hello Roger,

Thank you for clearing that up for me!!  I would expect to see more young children with boats but I suppose they are all more interested in thier games consoles and DVD collections! :o

I would love to own a real boat some day, to go on the sea!  I've only ever been on one (a rather large aircraft carrier!) and loved it.  3 weeks at sea in total and loved every minute of it.  I have never been on a smaller sea vessel though and would really love to.  Perhaps one day when my financial situation allows, I shall go on a boat for a fishing trip!  Do you watch the BBC series 'Trawlermen'?  Aren't they brave chaps!  I'd quite like a go out aboard one of those fishing boats!  How about you?  Would you fancy it?

James.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 02:59:18 pm »

Hi James,
As already stated most of the chaps are older than you and if they are like me I doubt they could stand up on one of those trawlers never mind work the gear.

Another thing to bear in mind is that as you get older the less invincible you become or maybe you just get scared more easily. {-) {-)

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Hammer Man

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 03:25:17 pm »

Hi James,
As already stated most of the chaps are older than you and if they are like me I doubt they could stand up on one of those trawlers never mind work the gear.

Another thing to bear in mind is that as you get older the less invincible you become or maybe you just get scared more easily. {-) {-)

Colin H.

Hi Colin,

Ok, what about if you didn't have to work the gear.. Just for the experience!  I think it would be amazing and the fear during a big storm would add to the excitment.. Or am I just a bit mad?!   %%

James.  ;)

das boot

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 03:35:59 pm »

Yep...you are raving bonkers! I came back from The Shetland Isles once on a ferry , usual trip time was around 11-12 hours. This trip took 14 hours, then a further few hours outside Aberdeen Harbour because it was so rough the ferry couldn't get in! Not what you'd call a relaxing run home...
I've done the Swansea/Cork crossing many times in some horrendous seas, but the crew think nothing of it...I thought lots of it!
We did get caught out to sea on a fishing charter boat in a gale...we left in a flat calm, and after a while the wind started to get up, by the time the skipper called for 'lines up' and we had started back home the wind was blowing a force 6/7...great fun in a 33' Mitchell!!
'Huey' and 'Ralph' were called upon many times on the run home.... :embarrassed:

Now I stick to model boats...much safer!  :-))

Rich

by the way, I'm of the 'older generation' to...60 this year!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 03:51:38 pm »

Topic renamed.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hammer Man

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 03:56:45 pm »

Yep...you are raving bonkers! I came back from The Shetland Isles once on a ferry , usual trip time was around 11-12 hours. This trip took 14 hours, then a further few hours outside Aberdeen Harbour because it was so rough the ferry couldn't get in! Not what you'd call a relaxing run home...
I've done the Swansea/Cork crossing many times in some horrendous seas, but the crew think nothing of it...I thought lots of it!
We did get caught out to sea on a fishing charter boat in a gale...we left in a flat calm, and after a while the wind started to get up, by the time the skipper called for 'lines up' and we had started back home the wind was blowing a force 6/7...great fun in a 33' Mitchell!!
'Huey' and 'Ralph' were called upon many times on the run home.... :embarrassed:

Now I stick to model boats...much safer!  :-))

Rich

by the way, I'm of the 'older generation' to...60 this year!

Thanks Rich, that was a very entertaining read!! haha!  Well bonkers or not, I'd love a go!  Rough or calm I'm not fussy!

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:51 pm »

Coming from a deep sea fishing family and having lost a grandfather at sea I have a huge respect for the sea and what it can do.

I thought the "Trawlermen" series fascinating, impressive and hugely daunting.

You must be a much braver man than me, James. I wouldn't go on such a trawler trip, even as an observer, even if they paid me to go!

Have a look at my thread on "Vendee Globe" yacht race which started just up the road from me on Sunday. Three skippers have had to return for repairs and they have not even left the Bay of Biscay yet! I think they must be brave and mad to do 90 days alone at sea with no assistance aloud and no landfall permitted.

Roger in France

Hammer Man

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:15 pm »

Roger, 

Sorry to hear you lost a grandfather to the ocean. 

I'm not sure I am any braver than you, perhaps just a bit stupid! 

I'm off to look at your thread now...

James.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.