Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look what I was given today!  (Read 12705 times)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Look what I was given today!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:47 am »

Cos no one else has thought to inform you HM, the square access hatch is to enable you (dependant on the size of your talons) to pick the beast up, it's called a ---------  handle.   :-))
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Hammer Man

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46:04 am »

Aha, thank you for telling me Circlip!  I have been struggling with it! haha!

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 10:01:59 am »

James

the square shape of the hatch  - and its position near the CG of the whole boat are the "handle" clue - its also the place where you suck out any water that gets in.

Now if it had been a round hatch that would have been for the snake (crew) to enter and leave :}

If it ever seemed like a good idea you could (easily) build a spare hatch with radio receiver, batteries and one servo for rudder control into it hatch then operate the rudder by a pushrod or pull/pull cables - possibly without affecting the vane gear at all.

andrew

Hammer Man

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:14 am »

I'm affraid this boat will have to remain unmanned Andrew, none of my snakes would ever fit in it!

I have just been to collect the piece that the man found after I had left with the yacht.  Any idea what it is?

Thanks again to everyone,

James.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 12:10:43 pm »

James

OK, so no herpetological yachts, then

That thingy is a boom with some of the fittings - if we patronise you  - please protest
Booms run below a sail - a sail that doesn't have a boom (spar) along the bottom is called "loose footed"
Both the sails on your boat, and most racing yachts  - have booms, so we just need to know which one it is

The funny swivelly thing at one end looks like the swivel that allows the jib (front sail) to pivot, and the brass fitting looks as if it would fit ove rthe now-bent rail on the front of the deck (called the jib rack)
So I think its the jib boom (a jibboom is something else found on squareriggers)

The buttons are adjustors (called bowsies {but I don't know how to pronounce this word}) and the one running in a triangular way is a "kicking strap" here and a "vang" in the US

To see if I am guessing right try the boom against the bottom  (foot) of both your sails
If it is the jib boom it should be quite  a bit longer than the foot of the sail, and if you fitted the brass fitment into the jib track (in one of the holes that isn't broken) the boom should swing and miss the mast (or the place where the mast should be)

There will be a similar boom, but a little longer which holds the mainsail out.  It pivots on the mast about 4 inches above the deck (in a fitment called the gooseneck) and will be about 6 inches longer than the foot of the mainsail - you will be either making one or encouraging the gent who has passed Mischief on to you to locate it!

Does he know the history of her?  Have any photos?

hope this helps
andrew

Hammer Man

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 08:43:31 pm »

No, I'm affraid no herpetological yachts for now at least!  %%

Sorry for taking so long to reply despite being on the fourm a few times...  I was coming back and reading what you wrote and then going off and checking again.  The mast already has the other boom attached to it.. 
In the end, this is what I have made of what you wrote, please tell me if I have got it all wrong!  And no worries, none of you have patronised me yet!  As I said, I have no experience at all and had never even seen one of these before collecting this one!

Thank you for your continued help,

James.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 08:58:15 am »

'Morning James, thanks for the latest pictures. Great to see the Mayhemmers responding as usual, that's what makes this forum the best  :-))

It looks like you have the basics to work on with the rigging etc, the main problem being the steering area.( Yes you seem to have all the bits in their right places  O0) As mentioned Gosport Club does have a good collection of vane yachts (my club) mostly 'A' boats and recently reviving the vane 36" class - that's why I said I was surprised at the £75 as I have seen the engineering masterpieces on the sterns ! These must be the self tacking units mentioned, at the other end of the scale is a system where the rudder is controlled by the movement of the mainsail boom as opposed to a balsa vane being in control. It looks like you have been supplied with drawings of units of the not quite so complicated devices, which are probably more suited. Horses for courses as they say.

I would respectfully suggest (If you haven't done so already) a trip with all the bits to the the Wickstead Club, much better to have it explained 'hands on' than trying to understand a load of well meaning advice in what is, as you say, still a foreign language. I also don't mean to appear patronizing  %) %)
It will be worth it in the end  :-))

Mike

Hammer Man

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »

Hi Mike,

For the moment I am not in a position to go down to Kettering.  I know its not that far but whilst I wait to start my new job I need to prioritise and petrol to and from Wickstead park is unfortunately at the bottom of the list.. (for now!)  I hope to start my new job in the next week or two so it shouldn't be too long before I can start travelling about and meeting people.  It will also mean I have the necessary funds to spend on the boat!

And no, you do not appear patronizing either!  You are all being most helpful, thank you.

James.

andyn

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:38 pm »

I would RC it if I were you, it would be one beast of a machine ok2

Thinking Hitec 755mg's with the world's biggest sail arm servo...

Wouldn't actually be all that expensive to do, guessing around about £70, if you wanted to we could all help you.

Andy :-))

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 06:33:52 pm »

Hi I have a full vane steering gear going cheap pm me

Stavros

Hammer Man

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 10:09:28 am »

I would RC it if I were you, it would be one beast of a machine ok2

Thinking Hitec 755mg's with the world's biggest sail arm servo...

Wouldn't actually be all that expensive to do, guessing around about £70, if you wanted to we could all help you.

Andy :-))

I'm slowly getting swayed toward Radio Control simply because it sounds easier but I really want to restore it back to vane gear.. I don't like the sound of cutting a hole in the hull for one thing!

Hi I have a full vane steering gear going cheap pm me

Stavros

PM Sent.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 10:49:11 am »

Think we've broken it's back James, PM coming.

Hammer Man

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 07:59:35 pm »

Sorry I've not been around, I've had a bit of a rough time financially recently and therefore will not be able to restore this boat after all.  I'm a bit gutted to be honest but think the most sensible thing for me to do would be to find it a new home where it can be restored and then at some point in the new year perhaps get a boat that does not need any restoration work doing to it.  I have been offered a job but the start date is not until well into the new year (not very helpful!) so when I am back in employment I can save for a boat more suited to what me and my daughter would want.  I have spoken to the man who gave me this boat and he doesn't want it back.  He said I can 'do with it what you will'.  The thing is, if I sell it what sort of money should I be looking for?  I have no idea what its worth...??

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »

Hammer man

Sorry to hear about your challenges - how often it seems to happen around this time of year :((

Hope it all comes good for you soon - I have been there several times, and it generally works out

Just in case it is of interest now or later I found an article by Vic Smeed in and old Model Boats (DEC 84) with a lot of information on Vane gear types in it

andrew

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47:06 am »

To clarify the sent PM, the design looks to be "Clipper" by S.Witty  MM1039  in the plans service.

Hammer Man

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »

Thanks Circlip, sorry I missed your message.  I don't seem to have a PM from you either??  Do you have anymore information on 'Clipper' by S. Witty?  Age would be good if anyone knows?  I think I still may have to sell it but am purposely dragging my heels!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.