Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Flower Class Corvette for the Rookie.  (Read 12436 times)

Ron1

Re: Revell Flower Class Corvette for the Rookie.
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 10:47:26 pm »

On a flat carm day,or a slight swell they look O/K , but as you say , like a cork bobbing up and down.

You could build a proper size one and sail in any weather.

RoyP

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:26 am »

Thanks for the replies gents, but to go up in size would not be a cost I could go to or justify.

I suppose the bottom line is that I am not one who enjoys operating models, I enjoy the building, I see little interest after the first outing of seeing my creation actually working.
And sitting there yesterday afternoon at Warwick it dawned on me, what can you do with a boat, I watched as some chap with his rather nice fishing boat and he was nearly asleep as it went around , around and around, so sorry that is not for me.

On reflection I should have visited the show first before opening wallet.

Attach a photo of a previous model project, boat constructed from a card, just to show that I can actually build models.

Regards,
Roy.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 11:27:21 am »

RoyP,
So set her in a diarama, it could still keep you amused for hours!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 04:26:40 pm »

I suppose the bottom line is that I am not one who enjoys operating models, I enjoy the building, I see little interest after the first outing of seeing my creation actually working.

Regards,
Roy.

That's my sentiments exactly Roy!!  I only build things that give me a challenge to do e.g. odd working features or obscure classes of lifeboats etc.
If it sails and does what I built it to do then after a couple of sailings I lose interest in the thing and either sell it or junk it with a big hammer !! It's a good job that at the moment I seem to be building boats with an interesting story/history or technical challenge for other people.  8)

Still, keep building even as a static with working features e.g. slowly turning prop, working lights and sounds etc, you could always sell it later or even give it away to a local charity for them to sell and raise much needed money.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 07:43:51 pm »

I tend to be a "builder" rather than a "sailer" but you could hardly regard the indoor pool at Warwick as a typical sailing venue - it is just there as a visitor attraction. When you sail in the open air it's much more interesting as you have real weather to contend with and if a navigation course has been laid out then you do have something to test the control of your model. I agree that going round in aimless circles as Warwick might be considered boring but real sailing need be nothing like that.

Colin

John C

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »

Roy

Bit of a detour but have you considered sail as an option?

I returned to model boating after a 30 year break and found (once I'd got my head round the advances in lecky things) that I thought the same as you. i.e. you spend ages building, put it on the water and it does what it's supposed to do..........next!!

Then I thought I'd give a sail model a try, hey presto interest rekindled, they don't necessarily go in the direction you want and it's a learning curve to get them to perform.

Winches and all that are still a bit of a black art to me but I'm getting there, and if it turns out it's not for you then you still have something nice for the windowsill.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.