Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G-5 Soviet Torpedoboat (Mosquito fleet) scale 1:20  (Read 4051 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
G-5 Soviet Torpedoboat (Mosquito fleet) scale 1:20
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

... after enjoying myself with cars and planes the season is nearly over and it`s time to return to the workshop.
After the 70`CMB I was looking for a new object- no need to say that it doesn`t take long to find something which caught my eye.

A Soviet Torpedoboat G-5 type scale 1:20. That gives her similar measures to the 70`CMB with about 93cm in lengt and a total weight around 5 pounds.

As we want to make minimum two off it`ll be easier to make a pattern again. Again the hull divided in two parts for a easier installation of shafts and motors. But first of all....- I need to make the hull. And again we are at the point I love so dearly... filling...... and grinding...... and filling...... and grinding.............. and filling............................... all powered by elbow-grease. So, if you are interested I will leave updates, time after time.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: G-5 Soviet Torpedoboat (Mosquito fleet) scale 1:20
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:29 pm »

Hi Jorg,

You might be interested in this thread on another forum (not upto 'Mayhem' standard of course).

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&utn=455&last=1&V=1&SP=

There are some good links

Regards
longshanks

ggeorge

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:51 am »

Hi Jorg,
  Good luck with the G-5 Torpedo boat. One of my future projects. I have accumulated a fair bit of material on the G-5 from my research which I do for my builds. If I can help in any way just let me know. As far as the plans for my 40ft. British Torpedo boat I acquired them from a fellow modeler who had acquired them from an issue of Model Shipwright.
   Regards,
   Gerald George

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:15:03 pm »

O.k.-now the superstructure (turret?) is ready to be painted and be placed in the box. Carried on with the hull today- looks not too bad, so I think I can close this job within the next two weeks and go for the plating. But first of all.... it`ll took some filler-paste..  8)
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

ggeorge

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:06:41 am »

Hi Jorg,
  Hope this will help. Here is some of the sources I have. One is a book I located and downloaded  on line when researching the G-5.I could not locate it on a recent search. The book is in Russian and try web address www.m-hobby.df.ru you may have better luck.The other is an old copy of Warship Oct. 78 #8. Both are excellent with lots of great detail photos . The Russian has a line drawing which I was able to scale up for my use 1in/1ft .Also there is a 1/32 scale model which I cannot seem to get in Canada which would be a great help in doing a larger scale. Check www.ysmasterpieces.com for photos of finished model. Here are some pages Ii scanner from the Russian book I downloaded. If there is a particular area you need more detail info on let me know. There may be a photo I can scan to send you.
Regards
Gerald George 

ggeorge

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:06 am »

G-5

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:35 am »

Hi Gerald, thankyou for the drawings- they are the same as we started from... and proofed some lines are wrong. So we needed to investigate about the correct shape and position of the tower.

Will send you a PM for the photographs.

Thankyou in advance,
Jörg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:51:55 am »

These are a fascinating concept for a war weapon.
I wonder what the inventors said to the crews.....

Inventer:
Right, we have a new and devastating design for a torpedo fast attack vessel.... Voila!!!

Crew:
Er.... the torpedoes are behind the bridge!???

Correct.

Where are the torpedo doors, I can't see them?

Ah! That the clever thing, there aren't any!

...... Then how do we fire the torpedoes?

Well, what you do is, charge hell-for-leather at the unsuspecting target vessel, drop the torpedoes OFF  THE BACK and get out of their way before they hit you?

.......... Right! And you're hoping we'll be able to do that twice and live to tell the tail?

Well if you don't shot your self down the first time, try, try try again! - any other serious questions?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.