Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phonex models ROYSTER tug  (Read 7857 times)

lifeboatpaul

phonex models ROYSTER tug
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:52:27 pm »

Hi gents , I  have in my possession a Phoenix models ROYSTER tug has anyone built one of these or has some pics of one , Del-boy 1958 has done some research on it and come up with some details on it , but it seems a rare beast,so any additional info model-wise or fullsize would be great.

Paul.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: phonex models ROYSTER tug
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:14:27 pm »

I am sure this model was bought over by
fleetscale here is their link more info

http://fleetscale.co.uk/system/index.html

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Sorry chaps , it`s called the ROYSTERER not royster as I was calling it - i`m new to tugs you know!

Paul  :embarrassed:

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »

Paul,
I served on her and have some original ships drawings somewhere.
Does she have the props and if so which ones?
And have completely refurbished a fleetscale one for another engineer who served on her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:02 pm »

Hi,
Basically I have a fibre glass hull a set of drawings and instruction manual for her and some pictures and photo copied magazine articles -thats about it at the moment.
If anyone has any pictures of a completed model or fullsize that would be good.
Paul.

Del-boy1958

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:16 pm »

Paul
Stick to lifeboats !!!! {-) {-) {-)

Del

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:34:14 pm »

Paul,
Fleetscale make a superstructure and funnels.
Sirmar make the fittings.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 07:11:20 pm »

Hi Paul
Have sent you a PM
Alan

farrow

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:55:07 pm »

Hi Paul,
Never sailed on Roysterer, but did sail in the Robust and Rollicker. Have several photos of Roysterer when she was based in Portsmouth before being sold off, send me your email address and like Shipmate 60 I will download them to you. By the way which period are you thinking of modelling her in, as she did did alter some what over time, namely when she became a RMAS tug, but she did start life as a RFA tug painted black hull, light grey upperworks and her master was Captain Dunkley. He was senior master and had the bridge and upperworks rework from original drawings for this class of tugs, but that is another story.

farrow

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »

Here is Roysterer late in life when she was Faslane based, I believe that was her base port until she was sold out of service.

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 10:46:07 pm »

Thanks RMASMASTER for your time spent on this , thats a great picture, it will be usefull in the build especially when it comes to painting.
what exactly was she used for ? pushing in warships in to the dockside?

Regards Paul.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 10:58:07 pm »

Paul,
They were Ocean Going Salvage Tugs.
Based on the Englishman design, but the MoD knows best so shortened by 60 feet and another deck added.
The Rollicker when sold was renamed the "Joseph Brown" and sank in the Indian Ocean with all hands.
They would roll in a puddle, been ill on them several times, but had to ensure the centre double botton fuel tank was ALWAYS topped up.
In refit in Greenock in light ship she actually toppled over luckily the jetty side and stability was resumed with ballast and fuel.
The model however is very stable.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

farrow

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:02:21 pm »

Hi Paul,
Yes as Bob stated they were awful seaboats to sail on, never was sea sick till I sailed on them. They would roll heavily on a flat sea and pitching well I have seen people loose their footing and fall over because when you put your foot down in a dive you felt if you was stepping into space. The RMAS removed the lifeboats very early on for stability reasons as well as a monetary saving.
They where used for mainly coastal tows, anything from small barges to large warships, exercises with warships (such as a bordex or towex trials), casualty rescues (salvage, ie large RFA's that broke down on the coast or near British waters), target tows of various kinds, control vessel for radio controlled targets, Robust in Devonport was used mainly as a harbour tug much like a dog class tug and anything else the MoD needed a hull for.
They where big white elephants that the MoD had no real use for, as Bob said when they where being built the MoD shaved 30ft of their length without investigating the effects or redesigning the hull in any way. The accommodation was bigger than designed because the SALMO's wanted them to accommodate a full diving team and operate a six fold 100t block and tackle aft for salvage(never used and first thing the RMAS ditched). The senior towing master insisted that engineers could not be accommodated on the same decks as deck officers and the engineers insisted that they are never accommodated with the dabtoes, so the bridge became an accommodation level and a funny chicken hutch was fitted on top as a bridge. Also the fire fighting monitors where fitted as a after thought by SALMO's for salvage (never used except to sink target vessels which are stubborn in sinking yes that is true). They could muster 50t bollard pull, but only for 15 minutes, then the engines overheated and the reduce revs gave 45t. They ordered the wrong type of winch to tow on, it was a basic self rendering mooring winch and did not rewind which it paid out, so the emergency procedure of spragating the winch came the norm on medium size tows up. The Rollicker was towing a Leander and overnight the winch house was left unmanned, on inspection so much wire paid out that there was barely 3 turns left on the drum.
But the vessels for all their faults did perform well at times for the MoD and that had more to do with the quality of the crews than the vessel.
Davis

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:33 pm »

Gents,
 Your info is fascinating, thanks a lot!!!, I`ve just got to build it now!
Paul.

farrow

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »

Here is a photo of the Rollicker involved in a towex exercise.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:46:44 pm »

The 2nd pic looks like its about to be involved in a collision   {-)

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 03:40:54 pm »

I see what you mean about they used to roll a bit, the picture says it all!

Paul.

galleyboy

• Shipmate
  • How they laughed when I said it would float!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:20:55 am »

Hello shipmates..This has nothing to do with the build but I was mate on one of United Towings 'fleas' the Keelman when we towed the Roysterer down from Beverley shipyard to Hull for fitting out. She was just an empty shell and Beverley is only 7 miles away but it took us 4 days because of the size of Roysterer and waiting for tides. I have a drawing of us waiting for the tide which I will try to find and post on here. I'm interested to know how many crew she carried when fully manned. Foreign going for us used to be 12 or 13 if you carried a galleyboy. Good luck with the build

farrow

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:19 am »

The size of crew was about 21 going down to about 19 or so after cuts in budgets etc. They originally had Master + three mates eventually one of the mates was dropped, three engineers + three stokers, chief caterer + cook, boatswain + at least 6 seaman. Remember she had no auto pilot, so you always had a lookout + helmsman on watch when steaming. When the Robust was used as a harbour tug, when securing alongside as an engine tug, the tie up was all manual and at times you could have done with more men.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.