Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya 1/350th USS Enterprise v Trumpeter 1/350th USS Essex  (Read 7236 times)

das boot

Tamiya 1/350th USS Enterprise v Trumpeter 1/350th USS Essex
« on: November 11, 2008, 06:26:51 pm »

Anyone have any expierence with either of these kits? Which is the better of the two...any ideas guys?

Rich

Arminius

Re: Tamiya 1/350th USS Enterprise v Trumpeter 1/350th USS Essex
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38:38 am »

It has always been that Tamiya is a quality brand (although the Enterprise mould already exists for years) with an equivalent price tag, whereas Trumpeter is more budget-friendly.  Trumpeter's platstics are accordingly, but nevertheless not too bad.  The Enterprise is cool from Tamiya, I have no experience with Trumpeter's carrier.  If money is no object, go Tamiya!

simon b

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »

Well it depends what you want to build. It's not like  your comparing 2 kits representing the  same thing !
As it happens i've built both on more than one occassion. The Enterprise is an excellent kit , but the Essex is also excellent (Trumpeter at its best, unlike some of the newer kits). Personally i'd go for the Essex. The small pieces are finer and it would leave you with some spare cash for Brass or extra aircraft.

das boot

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:52 pm »

Thanks chaps...I think a visit to the model shop is called for. It's all very well seeing the kits online, but you can't really compare the two side by side like you can in a shop. Now all I have to do is to find a shop that has both in stock....

Cheers,

Rich

das boot

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

Just noticed you said you'd built both of these kits Simon (that'll learn me to read posts properly...) Let's try a different tack then...which is most suitable for r/c conversion? I've seen the Enterprise converted, but never an Essex.

Rich

simon b

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:53:24 pm »

For R/c. better go for the Enterprise. It's full hull where as the essex has a seperate lower hull (different type of plastic, bit of a pain).
On a different note, if you just wanted a decent carrier kit i would of gone for the Trumpeter Nimitz. Although the Trumpeter stuff is generally cheaper, this is down to the costs in the producing country not quality of the kits

das boot

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 05:06:40 pm »

Thanks Simon...the Enterprise it will be. Out with the plastic then!   O0

Cheers,

Rich

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:33:34 pm »

The Admiral Kuznetsov is smaller yet has near enough the same draft as the Enterprise, so should make a better sailing model.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:23:04 pm »

Hi, not been on here for ages so first and formost HELLO EVERYONE!!

Id pick the Tamiya Enterprise anyday ive built and RC'd it looks awesome (not blowing my own trumpet) its just the detail in the mould is brilliant and with photo etch its superb and without a doubt my favourite of the tamiyas (Ive rc'd most of them) and compared with the essex it has for me a more appealing subject matter as far as aircraft go.

The trumpeter kuznetsov, nimitz, and im guessin the essex all have 3 piece hulls (HASSLE) and also i was going to do the nimitz and Kuz but (the nimitz in particular) lacked moulded detail, i considered one of the WW2 carriers by trumpy it may even have been the essex (i cant remember) and was going to use 1/350 b25 mitchells that trumpy do on the deck ("Doolittles Raiders") i just thought it would be quite unusual in fact i still might....anyway..

the nimitz has a very long island compared to the enterprise and WILL catch the wind like a sail and help it roll over  ok2, (though it catching under the deck overhang is i think the main problem) the enterprise is bad enough with a small island (though admittadely without a keel which in hindsight is a must for breezy days) the same goes for the kuz i also recall that the kuz was narrower than the enterprise which would make it more unstable i guess and less room for "stuff" but that may be memory serving me badly. :-)

FOR ME ITS ENTERPRISE ALL THE WAY!!!!

hope this helps, id be happy to help any way i can

Grant :-))

das boot

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 06:21:54 am »

Excellent, thank for that Grant, a very helpful posting. I had decided on the Enterprise, but after my little run in with the boys in blue last week (thanks to the EX-girlfriend  >>:-( >:-o) I'm a little financially short this month, but next month I'll be buying one.

Thanks again Grant...

Rich

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:51:11 am »

glad to help, anything else just ask

i was thinking last night and remembered it was the USS Hornet that i was looking at for the "Doolittle Raiders".

Why else would trumpy do the ship that took part and sell 1/350 B25s as an extra (what else could you use them for). I think im meant to build it.

Grant :-))

das boot

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:33 pm »

Do it Grant...you know it makes sense!

Make a nice build post too...

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.