Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Domestic Appliances  (Read 5401 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Domestic Appliances
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:24 am »

So far
Telly waiting to go to repair shop, still under guarantee, inverter gone (LCD 32" no picture, sound only)
New Washing machine replaced last week .  Now leaking the lads that fitted the hose didn't tighten it enough. 3 to date
New kettle 2 weeks ago,  old one gave up but did get a good long service out of it. 3 to date
New microwave, old one stopped heating food, long service from it. 4 to date
New built in oven. Door exploded on old one (glass) history of these exploding, check it out on the net. Have had 3 to date.
Hobs o.k so far have had 3 of these to date
Toilet cistern replace last year always having to adjust the old one gave in and fitted this new one perfect now.
Hoover not sucking, she was on her way to buy a new one (gulp) So I stripped it and cleaned the foam and mesh filters o.k. now.
New phones  the power unit/ answer phone part stopped transmitting to much to repair, only if you can get anybody to do it. 14 months old
Powershower needs it's seals replaced every so often and silicon lubricate on them. A strip job again. Very long service from this.
I've had a few replacment fridge/freezer too. One didn't get out of the packing as it was recalled by the supplier.
We do tend to buy brand names but will be having a serious think about that.  :police:

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Domestic Appliances
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 09:37:17 am »

Seaspray.
My car in Garage for leak on G/box, then needs cambelt.
Central heating boiler serviced on friday, told heat exchanger on way out.
No heating over weekend, heat exchanger clogged up.
Monday heating system cleaned out, worked for few hours then packed in.
Yeastrday heat exchanger out again, cleaned with acid, seems ok now, but central heating system got 3 rads cold.
balancing system myself today.
Tv in dining room chucked it last week.

You are not alone!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:10 am »

Hi Shipmate60

Don't mention the car its another story, especially if a main dealer is involved and doesn't get it right first time.

Seaspray

pobolycwm

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:12 am »

we had a servis washing machine for 12 years never had a problem 2-3 loads daily
when it finally borked i replaced it with another servis machine. in 1 year the control panel broke, the pump broke, the door seal perished and finally the motor blew up

thank god for warranties and trading standards and a new zanussi

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:04:05 am »

I wont have new or newish cars, only spent up to £1500.
With my job the car can be left in garage for up to 6 months a year, plus I only do about 6000 a year.
I have Just decided to keep it for a few more years so having the long term probs sorted out.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:19:30 am »

Hi pobolycwm
I made sure I bought a washing machine with 2 years guarantee. After that, with the amount of work it will do I am on a winner  :-))

Hi  shipmate60
If I take my car to the main dealer and have the cam belt changed. They have to take off the alternator belt to do the job. If I ask to have the alternator belt changed at the same time they charge me for that too. Unreal eh !!! £ 40 an hour  ooh

Seaspray

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:09 am »

Hi Seaspray, looks to me like you keep the statistics favourable for the rest of us!

Is there a particular manufacturer that you could just hint at that is the cause of your bad experiences?

I am a subscriber to Which magazine and they high light 'don't buys' now as well as their usual recommendations.

With fingers crossed etc. we mainly buy Panasonic and Bosch, although I had a Whirlpool dishwasher at my last house that defied the statistics and lasted at least 11 years.
I thought our Bosch washing machine had something nasty fail deep inside recently, as we were getting black stains on the washing.  An investigation, by myself, found a black ooze that had collected in the flexible rubber door seal.  It took some cleaning out but all is OK now.

We were offered extended warranty insurance on all the new kitchen and white good items.  The total cost for a 2 year insurance equalled the cost of a replacement item every 3 years.  They are a rip off as far as I am concerned.

I think insurance has gone mad now, fuelled in part by local authorities who see any activities as a risk to themselves so we must cover for it or be stopped from doing it.  Our club subscriptions are over 50% insurance premiums. We put up road signs for our club annual exhibition and we had to have £10,000,000 of insurance cover to keep the Highways agency happy.  Who dreamt up that number?

Sorry gone on a bit there!  I used to be an insurance clerk 50 years ago and have a jaundiced view of the whole thing.  I regard an Insurance company in the same way as I regard the high street betting shop.  They are there through good times and bad because they make a profit.  The only insurance I am keen on is car insurance as there really are too many idiots (present company excepted) on the roads.
Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.

regards Roy

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41:33 am »

Hi roycv
I don't take out a warranty there too dear and very expensive if you have more than one un real out going

I try and put a list of the items bought but they were good brand name. Indesit. LG. Hovermatic, Trycity, BT syniger (spelling uh) 

High jack thread, no prob, its good info.

Seaspray

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:06:36 am »

thank god for warranties and trading standards and a new zanussi

Best of luck with it mate. I had a Zanussi for 12 years, built like a tank, only required a door catch in all that time, until one internal component failed that would have cost a ton in labour to fix. So I got another Zanussi. Crap! In five years (I paid for the extra warranty and I'm glad I did) it had about fiften service calls. Everything in the machine was replaced at one time or other. Eventually it started coming up with E20 errors (blocked pump). I told them that it was not blocked but probably a faulty (and very inexpensive) sensor. The incompetent morons from the service company ignored me and changed everything else, but always on the following visit as they don't carry spares with them! Even with a brand new pump that was still apparently 'blocked', they didn't realise what was going on. After six service calls and five engineers, I phoned the warranty underwriters. They went ballistic and a replacement machine arrived 48 hours later - another Zanussi. And you know what, it's just started flashing up E20. here we go again!

Next time, I'm biting the bullet (hard) and buying a Miele. 5 Year warranty included and the same tank like quality of the old Zanussi.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:55 am »

Staff announcement: Clean up aisle one please.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 11:19:23 am »

5 year warranty I've got 2 years I've been done again.

Mind you I had a Philips G11 t.v. for 11 years only needed a chip replacement, also had a Hotpoint washer machine for the same time. It is just in the last few years products go down quickly.

Seaspray

Sandy Calder

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:39 am »

Dad's remote-control golf trolleys break down regularly.He's got four so there are always three working at a time.One stays at the posh men-only club down the coast,one for the nearby club and a spare in the garage.I'm not exaggerating by saying I've made upwards of 10 repairs on his trolleys alone.I've got to help the guy out cos he's pushing 150 now.
 By the way,don't turn your back on an r/c trolley with the keyfob remote in your pocket while playing a shot.

Keep backup spares and buy the £30 microwave ovens and DVD recorders because anything with electronics will pack in eventually.There is a computer program that calculates when a consumer item is likely to go.
Sandy Calder

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:48 am »

Hi all, we had a B & H colour Tv for nearly 17 years with just one failure.  About year 15 I decided to replace it and put it in the dining room before outing it.
The new TV had a much better picture.   So before it got scrapped I had another go at tuning it (manual in those days) and found that I was tuned to the wrong TV transmitter, after retuning there was a beautiful picture so it stayed another 2 years until something failed inside and I finally said goodbye.

My current TV I bought cash from a rental company, it was new and they were open to a deal.  They delivered and installed it for free that day, and the 5 year warranty is a visiting one (no insurance involved).  I would do this again, as it has worked out well.  None of the high street names would move on their prices at the time.  But I guess that now must be a good time to buy as well.
regards Roy

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:16:31 pm »

Hi all
You'll get great deals now if you have the cash, as they're desperate to move their goods, or boxes as they call them in the trade.

Seaspray

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:36 pm »

Next time, I'm biting the bullet (hard) and buying a Miele. 5 Year warranty included and the same tank like quality of the old Zanussi.

Back in the late 70's I worked for the Property Section in the County Council's Social Services Department. We used to put domestic Mieles into the Homes for the Elderly and Children's homes where they took a fearful hammering around the clock with the sort of loads you'd never get at home. They stood up to it very well indeed, better in fact than the so called "industrial washers" of the time.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:59 pm »

Mum has just (4 year ago) got rid of her SERVIS TWIN TUB washer
she wanted to keep it but us boys said NO as she has crippled hands and the twin tub was all manual operation. so how old was the twin tub and only a few drive belts in its life time my youngest brother is 30 it was a present when HE WAS BORN !

I tried to get one for my work wear but they are not the same, now made of thin steel and the motors are half the size (say no more)

Myself I have Bosch tools (and washer and dishwasher Oh and fridge freezer's) no problems so far  :-))

R,

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 04:30:12 pm »

Got to the stage with domestic appliances where I just buy what does what I need it to, not what's got the best badge - needed a new dishwasher when we moved house 10 years ago because the old one wouldn't fit the hole in the kitchen £199 for some unknown make - still working a treat - no repairs to date.

Washing machine from last house died about 5 years ago, after new seals, door,  pumps and brushes galore over 9 ish years - that was an expensive machine. replaced with cheapest one in store that measures water (on a meter now)- £234, still washing well 5 years later ( and that was with me, her and 3 kids ) - no faults to date, if it breaks down now it's skip fodder!

Tellies - never buy extended warranty - if it goes bang and my mate can't fix it - it's replaced. current Sony t.v 12th year - no faults.

Had my boiler serviced - needed vent motor replacing as cooling fan on motor split - quote was £112 for replacement motor labour extra - plastic fan actually cost 49p from manufacturers. Told engineer to go forth.....still reckon he snapped it.

The thing now is that electronic /electrical appliances are so cheap, it's not worth having them insured / extended warranties - if they last a year great, after that there's a new model out which is cheaper.

catengineman

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 04:38:20 pm »

So true grasshopper, I have just had to replace my laptop after five years of great service (should have cleaned the cooling fan duct more often)
Our house TV is being changed can only watch Freeview as the TV's tuner is kaput Spanner has the choice of that department as I watch very little drivel Oops TV

R,

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »

Unfortunately since it is now illegal to maintain your own gas boiler in the UK some CORGI registered engineers have looked on it as a licence to print money. Put that together with the fact some of them ain't that good you can end up paying stupid prices for a repair.

If any forum member requires advise on gas appliances especially boilers let me know and I will do my best to help.

An other thing to remember is the biggest company of them all (you know who I mean) pay their engineer's a bonus if they can flog you a new appliance. They are also very expensive reference another large company guaranteeing to beat their price by £100-00p

Never have the words of the old song The Gas Man Came To Call been more relevent.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

catengineman

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »

was that                 on a monday morning             Colin? :} The gas man he did call

R,

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »

Quite right sir,

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

catengineman

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 05:12:31 pm »

Well it all make work for the working class  :embarrassed:

Had a very young gas man round to check our old boiler and I have a manometer and know how to use it, his was not working so he said that he would have to come back in a few days but would leave our GAS OFF
Saved the day with my own unit which he tried to put into HIS work bag

"how come you have this" was his question.   

??? R,

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 06:08:25 pm »

Hi all, I am cursed!!  I returned home to find my wife grim faced as the Central heating boiler had failed.  In our house most things start at the crisis point and carry on from there.

It would not restart as per the book.(Potterton Promax 24 HE) but I was aware that an upstairs radiator had a lot of air in and needed bleeding.  (4 foot vertical towel rail, top 12 inches cool) This I did and tried again 15 minutes later and it all came to life.

So Colin, is this the likely cause of the boiler closing down?  There were gurgling noises on the first try at powering up that failed..

The kit is 3 years old, should I have it serviced?  I was unimpressed by the manufacturers repair man when it failed 5 days after installation, he got it working by replacing the burner but I suspect he was not into investigating a real problem.

Is a service worth having?  I had an Ideal boiler for 27 years, it was serviced twice and I repaired it twice during that time, I realise I am not allwed to do that now!

regards to all Roy

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »

Sounds about right.   :((

Welcome to the club.

Seaspray

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 07:20:28 pm »

If I take my car to the main dealer and have the cam belt changed. They have to take off the alternator belt to do the job. If I ask to have the alternator belt changed at the same time they charge me for that too. Unreal eh !!! £ 40 an hour  ooh

Seaspray

I was caught by that trick...highway robbery
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.