Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring a Cheddar steam plant  (Read 27481 times)

wideawake

Re: Restoring a Cheddar steam plant
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2010, 10:09:35 am »

yes I thought it was that but I always think this is a place to relax and talk model boats, not a spelling compertition semi final. :} :} :}

peteR

Sorry if I upset anyone!    If it had been a spelling mistake as such  I'd not have made a joke out of it.  Since it looked like a genuine typo I weakened.

Anyway 'nuff said.  back to the topic.

Guy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:35 pm »

No not upset at all , my spelling is prob the worst on the site it does not bother me in the least but I know a few people who are new to pc's and who have spent most of there lives in manual jobs and not had to write anythink can be very rusty and a few have been put off posting, I was put of one site because it was like being back in school and at one time a few people  had pop's at members who had English as a second language.  I just look at the boats and as long as I can get an idea what it's about all the better.

I hate text speak.

peter

steamboatmodel

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »

yes I thought it was that but I always think this is a place to relax and talk model boats, not a spelling compertition semi final. :} :} :}

peteR
Thank goodness for spell check, it picks up most errors. unfortunately nor grammatical ones. I did like the play on words.
Regards,
Gerald.
PS It cought two for me (unfortunatly & gramerical )

livesteam

Restoring another one
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 09:34:53 am »

Hi!
I just finished restoring a  Puffin engine I bought a few weeks ago on ebay.
I thought you might be interested in a few pics. It was easy to remove the old paint with my Dremel after indicating all of the parts to put them together in the same order later.
Before I painted the parts, I washed them thouroughly with brush cleaner and only touched them with rubber gloves afterwards. I have chosen Humbrol Royal blue as colour and brus-painted three layers of colour.
When reassembling, I realised that one of the piston rods has been bended, so I has to order a new one. They where very helpful at Stuart Models and provided one free of charge. A Clevedon Steam I ordered new springs and piston rings as the old ones where a bit worn out.
With all the new parts, reassembling was quite straightforward. I made some Cylinderhead-gaskets out ob baked paper, a method I also used with my Anton Quartz. I am quite happy with the result. The engine runs well on compressed air but I didn't check under steam Still have to decide what boiler I will buy (Stuart, Maccsteam or Cheddarvalley?) It was mentioned in this thread that the latter would produce the old Cheddar boiler? I this with ceramic burner?
So here are the pics:
Kaspar

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »

Deja Vu , all over again.

I am making reference to this 2 year old post as I am embarking on a restoration of an identical steam plant. Though perhaps not so much a restoration as a good clean and tart up.. I intend it to go into my Topaz which I am starting on.
 One thing I would like to ask more experienced members, in order that the boiler is level and the engine is angled to align with the shaft and propllor would it be in order to cut the upstand on the brass base and bend the base to turn down to achieve the correct angle. ?

[/URL][/img]

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2016, 09:44:59 pm »

Yes you can bend the base. But before cutting/bending (which is permanent), try this easily revesible method: use longer screws for fixing the front of the engine base, add a suitable amount of washers or spacers under the engine and you can have it inclined this way.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 01:32:42 am »

Yes you can bend the base. But before cutting/bending (which is permanent), try this easily revesible method: use longer screws for fixing the front of the engine base, add a suitable amount of washers or spacers under the engine and you can have it inclined this way.

Many thanks KNO3 for that valuable tip , checking on the plans it would appear that the spacers would only need to be 4mm to achieve the tilt, I will go with that.
 Benefit of a wet Easter I spent a bit of time with some solvent and metal polish and found the engine to be as good as new and paintwork unblemished, no discernible wear . A bit of a result, only thing I have had to do is clean out the displacement lubricator, the steam oil had turned to axle grease, can't have been run for a long year.
 One thing I note is a small degree of tolerance on the bearing hole, back flywheel to piston crankpin. I assume this a designed in machining tolerance not wear, as the pin has to engage between two flywheels on separate mains shafts and a zero tolerance fit would be impractical.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 02:24:08 pm »

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:30 pm »

Looking good! I like a green engine, it looks proper, like a Lister or Gardener :-))

Regards boilers, I know it has been said before so don't grumble at me, but beware of the rules and regs regarding them and running them in public places as if not tested and certfied safe, no club would allow them on their water due to insurance.

If the boiler capacity is below 3 Bar/litre then I do not think it needs such a strenuous test, but to be on the safe side you will know your copper beauty is sound and ready for lots of sailing :-)) :}
Pond weed is your enemy

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »

Those are great running and looking engines. The castings are beautiful and look much better than the later machined from solid.
I'm not sure what you mean regarding tolerance.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 10:16:23 pm »

Those are great running and looking engines. The castings are beautiful and look much better than the later machined from solid.
I'm not sure what you mean regarding tolerance.
  Hi KNO3.
    On my photo the RH cylinder bank has two discs . Of these the left is the crank disc and this holds the pin on which the big end runs. The RH disc is the follower disc and has a bearing hole in which the pin is a free fit . My concern is the degree of tolerance at this point pin to bearing hole. Presumably it does not cause any running noise as it is under drive and not oscillation. pin O/D is 3.2mm  hole diameter is 3.35mm (        0.15 mm tolerance) 5 thou.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 06:52:18 pm »

I see now. I wouldn't worry about that tolerance. It certainly won't cause noise.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 02:24:03 am »

Hi don't want to sound picky but I would certainly have some protection for the gauge glass looks very vulnerable to accidental damage because of the length
Cheers
John

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »

Thanks All.
  There is one matter that I would like some help with.  I wish to get the old boiler tested before I decorate it but am having trouble finding a certified inspector. I am not a member of a club as there is just not one near me and the local model engineering society gave me the brush off. I have tried Google and several societies without luck.  Could someone please give me some guidance on how to locate one please .
cheers.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 11:06:20 pm »

Baldrick......I suppose our first challenge is to understand if Sudergeona is actually Surry in the UK.......

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=va86AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=Sudergeona&source=bl&ots=HDPvGWoSni&sig=j5x4X3JOijQyO3bV9XDllh540VI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh4uyckZTMAhXEE5QKHQqsCJYQ6AEISjAH

If this is the case, GOOGLE does find a number of Model Engineering/Steam Groups within a reasonable proximity.....

An unfortunate fact in life is that model steam rail appears to be 100 fold in members over model steam boats and as such the steam train people only see a steam boat person as someone who wants their boiler certified.....

You could ask yourself why you did not see eye to eye with the Model Engineering Society?......good luck....... Derek

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjV8tb7kZTMAhWEGZQKHTHqD0IQFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modeleng.org%2Fukclubs.htm&usg=AFQjCNG-8wiwuGPVafltTVi7H3tanfbJ0A
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2016, 04:40:55 pm »

Thank you for your reply Derek.  Yes I have an overdeveloped penchant for the ludicrous which led me to use the early Saxon name for my location.  I have to confess that I was a bit miffed by the response from our local model rail steam society which is on the list you kindly sent me . I thought my overture to them was a very friendly request for help on the basis that "we are all into steam together" and did not merit the s*d off response it got. I assume their in club tester is not insured to take commissions from outside their club but there you go.
  My main hope was to find a freelance engineer qualified to carry out the testing. I have since found Farncare Inspection Ringwood Hants but further searchin leads me to believe he may no longer trading.. I will ring him Monday and also try sme of the other names on your list
thanks again

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2016, 07:21:48 pm »

I have asked a friend who I know from a model engineer society if he knows anyone who can do it in your area. Do you have a preference for a local inspector, or would you travel to get the boiler tested?
Pond weed is your enemy

logoman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2016, 10:40:44 pm »

I'm sure someone at the Guildford MES will test a boiler for you. They're usually a friendly lot.
http://www.gmes.org.uk/

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »

Thank you for both replies, that's great. Having looked at the Guildford mes site I note they have a separate section for small steam plants. I will talk to them and if they are as friendly as they seem will join if they will have me.  Might try talking them into starting a boat section .

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »

Excuse my rather off topic question, but I am curious: if you have, say, a Mamod SL1 loco are you supposed to have its boiler tested each year in the UK to be able to run it (where?)...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.