Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TOWING _ added superstructure strength?  (Read 2342 times)

Roger in France

TOWING _ added superstructure strength?
« on: September 10, 2006, 07:55:55 am »

I am planning a large tug. I have seen many kits etc. but little information on adding re-enforcement for the secured end of a towing hook. I am aware that a large model tug will have a substantial deck framing but when I see examples of a tug drawing a row boat with a live passenger...surely there is need for some additional strengthening?

Roger in France.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TOWING _ added superstructure strength?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:23:38 am »

Roger,
I'm sure some strengthening may be necessary depending on the boat's construction and just how the towing is done.  Lots of hard jecks on the tow line would certainly require more strength than a slow smooth take up of the strain.  Most of the strengthening structures I've seen have been associated with how the tow hook is 'connected' to the hull, internal bracing, etc.  How much is enough?  Back to the old deal about which boat you want to use and how it's built.  I've also seen some supporting structures that I thought were a bit 'much', as in metal bracings, really huge clumps of epoxy/fibreglass/whatever stuff holding things to the hull.  Given enough of a run, the thing could pull you off of your feet, so I guess it was worth it (was hidden anyway so...).
 - 'Doc

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »

Greetings Guys

I've dabbled in the tug towing and looked at a number of different mountings. Some of us have glued a fairly substancial strip of yellow cedar or spruce around the underside of the deck where it mounts to the hull and then set cross members every 4 inches or so. You can then set a piece of ply between these where your towing hook will sit and drill it through to the plywood. I've seen it where this becomes the lifting hook as well. A further step is to fasten the cross members to the hull with small stainless screws - should withstand a sharp bump or drop without breaking loose.

I'm about at start the Wyeforce kit and will brace the underside of the deck in this manner, propably replace the deck with plywood as well.

Trust this info helps, a photo would have explained it in less space!

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 04:44:44 pm »

Great help guys. I guess a few stainless screws behind fttings in the hull or well below the waterline is the way to go. I would rather do a belt and braces job when building than have a horrendous repair later.

Roger in France.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:32 pm »

The best idea is not to actually tow off the superstructure itself.  The best way is to feed the tow to the hull inside, and have the strength there.  Unless the superstructure is very firmly fixed, there is always the danger of pulling it off the boat if things dont go entirely to plan.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.