Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTTL  (Read 2858 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
RTTL
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »

Photos of some models of the rescue target towing launch show a deck feature just astern of midships, both sides, right on the edge of the deck.  The feature appears to be a series of the same thing in a line fore and aft alongside each other, just forward of the davit.  Can anyone tell me what these are, and if so do you have any details?  I think I have included a photo of such a model with this query (not all that computer literate!).

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: RTTL
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:20:52 am »

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum and the mad house  O0 O0

The things that i think you mean on the side of the deck are woodenblocks with holes in them to hold the scramble nets that the crew lower overthe side of the boat

aye

john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:18:33 pm »

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.  Your photo shows the detail as treads on the deck which is what my drawing also shows.  They seemed to be different on the photo in my post hence the query.  I will stick to the detail on your boat which by the way looks really good.  Nice job.  Will you let us see the finished boat? Cheers for now. Brian

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

Hi Brian have you received the e-mail i have sent you?
Hear's a link to the finished RTTL  model http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20758.0

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:52:20 pm »

Hi John,

I did receive the email and have just replied to it. Thanks.   Referring to my query in that email, I see that if you log in you can see the photos.

From the photos of the various boats you can see that the decks are planked.  The plans that I have (also 1960 odd vintage) do not show the planking and I would now like to do the deck planking as it looks much better than the plain deck, so I am further from finishing it off than I thought. Sigh!

Brian

Soupdragon

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:19 am »

Hi there, I was just looking at your pics and your query on the deck fittings on the RTTL. I can confirm they were used for the securing of the 'crash nets' that the craft was equiped with.

They were fitted on either side and consisted of a series of wooden blocks secured to the gunwhale as seen in your photo. There was a spar that fitted down through holes in the blocks and secured at either end with a drop nose pin. The crash nets had eyes spliced into the vertical parts of the ropework that fitted around the spar. The crash net was rolled up and secured on top of the deckfittings and covered with a canvas cover (painted white).

I remember the nets themselves were devils to roll up and stow being made of very stiff natural fibre rope, manilla i think.

I only ever recall changing one once and it took us most of the morning to do it  :((

Great model btw.. love the attention to detail

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »

Hi Soupdragon, thanks for the information.  I am in the process of bringing my RTTL up to a decent level of workmanship.  It was the first boat I ever built (a long time ago) and the standard was not really very good at all.  The photos in this topic are not, unfortunately, my work and I agree that they are great models. 
Regards
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.