Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09  (Read 101048 times)

wallace

Re: Sir Lancelot the Building from Jan09
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »

ok2 :-))    Its that time again to get you all going again with the news.
First of all at long last I have put my deck on it ,well it took 6 tubes of epoxy glue and just about got all the frame work covered before it started going off,but I got the deck on in one piece and to hold it in place I put around 20  12v batteries all over the deck and guess what I did not take a photo sorry,
After 24 hours there abouts this afternoon took the lot off and the deck has held great just a little bit of filling needed around the sides
I will take photos tomorrow to show you all how its looking and so you can all see I may put the ton of batteries back on for photo shot.

wallace

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:19 am »

Here's the latest photos I have taken this week.
The first is the deck being held down by a ton of batteries I did leave them on the deck for nearly 24 hours and I must say it did take alot glue etc as its a very big boat  so after 24 hours took them off, only reason I left them on that long is I had hospital appointments the following morning,when the deck was cleared I was very pleased with the out come not to much to fill.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 11:14:06 am »

Hi all .......Wallace...I think I can see ~~~~~~240 VDC just as deck containers {-) O0 ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

wallace

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2009, 11:52:21 am »

These photos are about the superstructure fitting onto the deck,after the deck was fitted I put the superstru in its postion and it was not sitting very good it was all up and down so looking at it,it needed alot of sanding to get the right shape to sit onto the deck so what I did was put wood battons all around the bottom of it and filled it with filler ,I fixed the wood with super glue while it was sitting on the deck to get the right line of the deck,sanded it down all around and then re-primed the bottom bit after taping up the bits I had already done then put top coat on then remove all the tape and after putting back onto the deck I was happy with the fitting hope you like.   wallace :-))

wallace

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2009, 11:58:55 am »

heres the superstructure all done and dusted

wallace

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:28 pm »

missed these sorry   :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2009, 12:09:27 pm »

Hope you don't mind Wallace but that Got to be a caption competition!   :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17267.msg172697#msg172697
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wallace

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »

Heres some photos just starded to sand down the deck which i have filled  dont want any water getting into the boat. <*<
                           ;)  wallace

wallace

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

photos

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2009, 08:12:50 pm »

Hi Wallace, this is a good thread, I'm keeping a keen eye on this one, the build is comming along nicely, also thanks Davie Tate for those photo's of her in the fishery research role, are these photo's available for purchase Davie?

bill

I've sent Tony your Email address Bill he's got a large copy of the upper of the 2 photos of her that I linked to that you are interested in all ready to post to you.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

wallace

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:27 pm »

Heres more photos of the building all the photos are about the decks.
As stated earlier the deck in in place and filled .
I have now fitter the fwd deck and filled it and sanded it down, the way I fitted it was I made a mix of filler and put alot inside and all around the bow then layed the deck on top and pressing it down to get it level filled all around it  put tape over it and had a cup of tea,
as you can see by the photos all has been fill and all has been sanded,many hours have past under my hands while doing it but its worth it as no water will get below decks, also filled around the combing and sanded,repainted  all above the decks.I think its looking good at the moment hope you like and I do hope Im not boring you with the photos.
If I am I will call the   :police:  Ha Ha
                happy sailing   wallace

wallace

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »

these next few photos are all about me trying to do the deck plating so I hope it will turn out ok here you can share with me the step by step  on how im doing it.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2009, 09:46:54 pm »

Very effective platework--will look the biz when painted  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Chuffy

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:43 am »

Wallace

How are you reproducing the rivet detail and are the plates made from the card supplied in the kit?

Paul.

wallace

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »

:-)  First of all many thanks for the kind remarks that goes to all and also to Steamboat Paul many thanks.
I'm trying my best and doing it slowly the first bit of plating did not look up to my standard so re-done again

And to Chuffy the deck plates where not supplied with the kit only the card and after doing the forward deck I had to go and get more card from the printers how I'm doing it is taking my time and drawing lines onto the card  60mm x 40mm  and running this wheel I have been given by a member of my boating club (new brighton model boat club) hows that for giving them air time god bless them all a really good lot of lads.Well back to the plates after I have rolled the wheel about 2mm from the lines and then cut the plates up into 60mmx40mm I then paste them with PVA glue I just use my fingers to smooth the glue over,its a long job but in the end I do hope its worth it,Got to think now about the painting of the plates as they are paper but using art paper it should hold the paint well,would welcome tips on the painting on paper.
Well now you know now how I hav done my deck plating will post more photos when its all plated so give me a few days .
                    wallace :-))

wallace

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2009, 10:05:30 pm »

Here's a few more photos on the plating  which I done in the lovely sun today.
What  i have posted is the beginning of doing the deck plates from plain art card and the tools I have or am using to do them
I first of all draw the lines very carefully and then us the wheel to make the rivets in the plates the next stage is to cut them out tomorrow sometime and put them in place I hope this helps ,well it helps me as I'm always learning by my mistakes,hope you like.

;) wallace  :-)) :-)) O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2009, 10:21:07 pm »

Photos sorted!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »

She is looking good and comming on well.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Chuffy

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2009, 06:00:20 pm »

Thanks for the pics and description Wallace, you've been very helpful.

wallace

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33:02 pm »

Just put the first coat of primmer onto the f'ward deck to see how it drys hopefully no bubbles its had two coats will leave it over night and take a look sometime tomorrow.
         wallace

wallace

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »

Forgot to say the plating I was showing you in the photos I have just cut them all into plates and may start fixing them on sometime tomorrow.
                     wallace

dan

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2009, 09:40:30 pm »

its looking good wallace, and thats a very effective way you've got of replicating the rivets 
I'm looking forward to seeing what she looks like with her first coat of paint  :-))

wallace

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2009, 07:22:08 pm »

Hi Dan so many thanks for your kind words will get back to you.
                            wallace :-))

wallace

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »

Good evening or maybe good morning to all who all watching this build I must first of all tell you all that this boat is testing me to my limits I have learnt French ,Double Dutch,and some nice words in German , Hi Jorg hope you are keeping ok will write soon.
Back to the build yes its a wonder I have any fingers left after all the cuts and I have found a new way of keeping the finger nails short plenty of sand-paper,there has been many time I have just walk away from the build but I have always gone back and said sorry to the boat for leaving her undone.The hull has really given me nightmares and also nearly another heart attack I just hope when I get to painting the hull it looks ok to me its been the worst hull I have ever work on and the makers should be  sorry I just cant write what I would like to write  but the hull was just ????.
I have also had alot of touble with the white metal fittings I wont go into that.
So I hope you like the next lot of photos  thats coming up next.
                wallace

wallace

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »

Ok heres more photos of the build as promise.
Photo 1 2 3  are of the f'ward deck after two coats of primmer, I think it has taken very well just the matt top coat to go on whick is going to be a dark grey.

Photo 4  Showing more deck plating glue onto the deck down the port side.

Photo 5  Close up once again of the plates and with the printed sheet that goes over the top.

Photo 6 This photo is of the bottom of the superstructure showing the brass hand rails fitted and the brass port-holes
             looking good if I do say so my self.

Photo 7  The front view of the superstruct.

Photo 8 Another view of the deck.

:-))  :-))   ok2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 3.901 seconds with 21 queries.