Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Tugs Marlene  (Read 6660 times)

DaveB

Tyne Tugs Marlene
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:29:38 pm »

I started building her some months ago but work commitments have interfered a lot, prop shafts and kort nozzles fitted, 777 motors fron model motors direct, twin electronize 15 amp esc's controlled by the Spectrum DX5E 2.4ghz transmitter, the wiring looks messy at the moment but i needed to test everything before fitting the deck, coaming fitted and sanded down to take the superstructure windows cut out and funnels made up. Once again Les at Tyne Tugs has done a good job on the glassfibre so the next job is to lightly sand everything and get priming.
DaveB

TugCowboy

Re: Tyne Tugs Marlene
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:52 pm »

Looking very nice Dave! she's going to be a lovely vessel when finished.

Alex

DaveB

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 06:42:06 pm »

I certainly hope so  Alex i've just got to find the time it'll be nice to have a slightly smaller model to sail
Dave

DaveB

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:28:14 pm »

Time for an update, i've managed to get a coat of primer on the deck and two on the hull most of the bollards are fitted a storage locker on the stern, the brass rails on the stern are made up and fitted (been playing with my christmas pressie). The proxxon mini gas torch an excellent tool, i have started to fit the window frames on the superstructure not my favorite job, i don't go back to work untill the 4th so hopefully i'll get the hull sides painted and the frames finished.
Dave

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 01:58:07 pm »

Nice job DaveB, where did you get those hatch covers from (I'm guessing they are white metal), just what I need for my next project.
Steamed up all the time

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:29:43 pm »

Hi Phil
The hatch covers are pewter ones from the kit, why not give Les a ring at Tyne Models
Dave

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »

The proxxon mini gas torch an excellent tool,

Looks just like my wife's chef's torch :}

Barrie

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:53:30 pm »

Thanks Dave I will give him a call
Barrie, mine went the other way, Mrs Steamboat saw mine in the shed, and woosh its now in the kitchen.  >>:-(
Steamed up all the time

DaveB

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:43:27 am »

I managed to escape from the chores long enough to get a bit more done photo 1 shows the hull painted and just got the first coats on the bulwarks, photo 2 shows the main towing winch and the anchor winches assembled and painted, photo 3 sows most of the small deck fittings, photo 4 showing the deck crane built and ready for priming, photo 5 shows the tow hook, photo 6 with the vice to go on the side of the crane.
DaveB

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:31 am »

Coming along very nicely Dave. How are you powering her?

Barry

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 10:50:54 am »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update, coming along well. Thinking of doing 'Marlene' as my next project, so am very interested to see someone else's build coming along. I will probably go for FLJ's combined ESC and mixer though, if I do go for another Tyne Model. Are you going to fit a bow thruster to her? From the view of your plan in the background, she appears to have one fitted.
You're not reading the previous posts properly Barry, Dave has two 777 motors in her. Tut, tut! :embarrassed:
Danny

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:39 am »

Sorry Danny, but I really meant all the other bits and oieces to drive the motors properly!!!Should have made myself clearer.. <:( <:(

DaveB

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:26:02 am »

Hello Barrie
She is fitted with 2 777 motors on 12volts through two electronize 15 amp esc's probably a lively combination but what the hell.

Danny
I toyed with fitting a bow thruster but decided not too as there is not a lot of room to fit the tube and impeller, i suppose with hindsight i should have just fitted the tube but can't be bothered to backtrack now.
Cheers Dave

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 12:34:28 pm »

Hi Dave its coming along great, you are right about the bow thruster not a lot of room to play with. I have seen one with a bow thruster but it was operated by water jets.
Brian   

DaveB

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:46 pm »

Hi Brian
I had'nt thought of that solution i might have to look at that as an option
Dave

tugnut

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 05:22:26 pm »

HI dave that looks a  great model, the fittings look well made.
The winches look great,  O0

John B

DaveB

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:36 am »

Well i finally managed to scrounge enough time to pretty much finish Marlene so she's ready to get her bum wet for real, tomorrow to the pond hopefully i've got a mate coming to do a video, the trials in the test tank promise a lot of power so i may have to calm her down a little. There are still a few bits and pieces to do i need to get hold of brass running lamps and some deck clutter they'll have to wait untill the next show, i've also deviated a little from the plan on the deck layout but i do like the way she looks.
Dave

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 08:29:57 am »

Dave,

She really does look the business. Looking forward to seeing her on the water.....

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:22 am »

Hi Dave,

"Marlene" is looking great, you're doing a good job on her. Like Footski, looking forward to the pictures/video of her on the water for real. My thoughts of building one have taken a back step for the time being, as I got MMM's Anglian Man in the spring, and am currently doing all the prep work! Good luck tomorrow.

Danny

over_powered84

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 01:13:29 pm »

Hi Dave, Shes A Wee Cracker Of A Tug Bud, Was Wondering What The Depth Of The Hull Is From Deck
That's The One Based On Damen's Shoal Buster Class?

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 03:12:33 pm »

Nice project you have there Dave, I really like it and nice work  :-))

The harbour in Jersey (Channel Islands) has one of those tugs, fitted with fire monitors above the cabin. I'll see if i can find a picture and post it for you!

Voyager

DaveB

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 03:54:05 pm »

Hi All
Thanks for the positive comments without going up to the workshop i think she's about 4 inches from deck to keel, bit of a tight fit for the drive battery and not a lot of room to pack the electronics in but got there in the end.
She is one of the Damen shoal busters and Mobile Marines Anglian man is another, i'm hoping the weather holds out for the morning if so the video may well be on here by the afternoon.
Dave

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 04:03:48 pm »

Under construction at the shipyards.

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 04:08:57 pm »

And another! Slightly different to your model but thought it might be of some help to you.

Voyager

DaveB

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 06:39:13 pm »

Hello Voyager
Thanks a lot it's a shame i had'nt seen that last picture when i started the build i like the look of the stern arrangement maybe an idea for a refit in a few years.
Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.