The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

Teflon instead of rubber o-rings for steam pistons

(1/3) > >>

kno3:
Hello!

Does anybody have experience with using Teflon as a replacement for the rubber o-rings that seal the piston in steam cylinders?
I read on Regner's website that they recommend Teflon tape, twisted to a round thread. I tried this with the piston of a flame eater and it seems to work, it seals well and the friction is low.

So I was thinking of replacing the rubber o-rings of my steam engines with Teflon, to reduce friction. With o-rings the friction is considerable.

Did anybody try this?

Archibald H.:
Hi kno3,
Many steamers on the dutch 'Modelbouwforum' use the Regner-teflon-technique. On the forum there is someone that prefers hempfibres in stead of teflon, apparently the hempfibres absorb moisture and through swelling close the gaps between piston and cylinder.
Hope this helps.
A!H.

kno3:
Yes, thanks. I was mainly thinking about reducing the friction, which in case of rubber o-rings is considerable. This would, in my view, improve the ability of the engine to run slowly without stalling.

SteamboatPhil:
The trouble with O rings is you have to fit them properly, and they do have close tolerances to get them to work efficiently. I have used grafite yarn in the past, the trouble is if you leave them unattended / no oil (heavens forbid) for a long period,the yarn goes hard and you end up having to knock the bl**dy piston out (guess how I found out).
I have used teflon tape as you suggested Kno3 not only for the pistons but in the gauge glass  and pump ramps. In my humble opinion much much better, and easier to work with. To date no problems (one season of running every weekend) Pumps have never worked so well, and the engine has got it's "grunt" back (and its 30 years old--I was just too lazy to make a new piston)
Hope this helps some.

Bernhard:
Hi.....Phil...is it the same tape,,used for pluming,,and can you show how you did it
regards Bernhard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version