Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere sporting woes.  (Read 9596 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Northern Hemisphere sporting woes.
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:01:09 am »

I've just been reading the Guardian on-line, and it appears that Northern Hemisphere sporting teams have done poorly this weekend.

In Rugby Union, Australia 28 England 14; South Africa 14 Scotland 10; New Zealand 28 Ireland 3; Argentina 22 Italy 14.

In Rugby League, New Zealand 32 England 22.

England in particular have had a bad sporting weekend, losing by a 158 runs to India in the first One Day International  <:(.  The Indian team is coming off a 2-0 test series win against Australia, so their confidence is high, but India is always hard to beat at home. BTW, I do know that India is also in the Northern Hemisphere, but I thought I'd mention the cricket in passing  ok2

Peter.

barryfoote

Re: Northern Hemisphere sporting woes.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 08:11:29 am »

Peter,

Largely down to our sportsmen thinking they are better than they really are.......excepting the cricket that is. India are simply a very good team and as you say very difficult to beat at home. All we can expect is to perform as well as possible, winning is not likely.......

Now next year we have THE ASHES........ :-)) :-))

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:56:06 pm »

Footski,

They might be played for in Blighty but will again return to Aust........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:17:30 pm »

Any one in Oz care to remind us how Team GB did in the Olympics :-))

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:10:02 pm »

It's gone quiet on this thread all of a sudden!!! :-)) :-))

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:38 pm »

I was thinking that ;)

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:50:33 pm »

peter loves to rub it in about the poor sporting prowess of the Brits compared with the true blue Ozzie guy.
But I'd still take him on and stake my "reputation" in a "boat race"
Something that the ol' "bruce" just can't hack with his ice cold "middie"
I'll show ya who's the sports man amongst us then. {-) %% :D :o

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:48:28 pm »

Mainly because we are 11 hours ahead of you. Yes, Great Britain (not England), did very well in the Olympics, as they should, but I'm speaking of the really important sports, like Rugby (both codes) and cricket  ;) :}

Footski, the Ashes will be very interesting. Australia has come back to the field somewhat, since the retirement of Gilchrist, McGrath, Langer, and the "Text man", Shane Warne, and are in something of a rebuilding stage, but we will still be very competitive.

nhp651, who is "bruce"????  :o

If you are referring to a drinking competition, then I'm sure you would find plenty of Aussies (NOT Ozzies), who would take you on, but my hard drinking days are long behind me. BTW, middies are something you will only find in NSW. As far as I am aware, most of the rest of Australia refers to that size (285ml or about half a pint) glass as a "pot", for some strange reason.

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:36:09 am »

Peter,

I am sure the next Ashes series will be good, but nothing can beat that series of 2005. Every match bar the first was close, exciting and everything that cricket lovers around the world could want.......Can't be that good again......Can it?

Barry

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:15:47 am »

Can't be that good again......Can it?

Barry, one can always hope.

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:01:57 am »

"bruce"
i.e. refering to the architypial OZ couch potato with the enormous "chip" on his shoulder, who blusters through life trying to cast off the fact that he is possibly a decendant of our transportees..lol %% O0 ;D :embarrassed: :-))

Question: What is the rarest form of life in Australia?

Answer:    A geneologist !!! lol {-) {-) {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »

"bruce"
i.e. refering to the architypial OZ couch potato with the enormous "chip" on his shoulder, who blusters through life trying to cast off the fact that he is possibly a decendant of our transportees..lol %% O0 ;D :embarrassed: :-))

Never heard of him.  :o There was an ad on TV some years ago using a cartoon character called Norm, who was supposed to be a couch potato. Maybe you're thinking of him?

It's fashionable these days to be able to trace one's ancestry back to a convict, but unfortunately, I can't. My great, great, grandfather migrated here of his own free will, with his wife and 4 sons, in 1855.

BTW, England flogged in the cricket - again - by India  O0

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:53 pm »

You have a sad life, norm, :} oooops sorry, Peter........picking on us poor defenceless hard up, downtrodden poms.... :((    .....just you wait till 2012 in London..........we're putting ourselves into hock, just for you and yours %% <*<
....or perhaps the 2009 Edinburgh comedy fringe fest...........

OOOOOOOpss sorry, again, you don't do comedy down under,  ;D ;D
too busy trying to inflate your egos at the expense of our under developed sporting ability. %% {-)

We can't be winners all the time..........have to give some encouragement to those who stamp their feet and through the rattle out  the pram and give them a win sometimes.......keeps up the interest O0 :} %) :-))

Damien

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 01:19:40 am »

Interesting byplay NOT, Sport i think not It's just an excuse for spectators to get drunk. I enjoy seeing these fools spending a fortune to get s**t faced then making idiots of themselves and they won't remember it next day. Mind you I only see it on the news don't see it otherwise rather read a book or be modelling.
D. 

andygh

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:08 am »

Any one in Oz care to remind us how Team GB did in the Olympics

Nail hit firmly on the head there I reckon, ozzie's still smarting from their dismal performance
Anyway we only win the important games  :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 05:45:45 am »

You have a sad life, norm, :} oooops sorry, Peter........picking on us poor defenceless hard up, downtrodden poms....

I don't have a sad life at all, nhp651, in fact, it's quite a lot of fun picking on (some) Poms  O0 . I have lots of Pommy friends, and they are all great people - and some of them still live in England, too.  :-)

I was wondering, do you actually know any Aussies? Or do you just believe everything you read? We're not a bad lot, you know, we're really quite civilised (we stopped eating people some time back), we don't use our fingers to eat any more either. The country itself is quite modern, too. We actually have electric power now, and some houses even have running water - but only if they are near a river.
If we get bored with picking on Poms, we can always go and chase a kangaroo, or wrestle crocodiles. However, at my age, I find chasing cane toads exciting enough; anyway, crocodiles are becoming too hard to find where I live.  ;)

We do love beating the Poms though, at anything, and can become quite depressed if they beat us.  <:(  Mind you, that doesn't happen very often  :}

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 07:32:58 am »

Brilliant Peter....

I must just take you to task on one little point though......India did beat us...yes...because they are a very good side, playing at home and straight on the back of a good test series win.......OVER AUSTRALIA..

Barry

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:06:15 am »

"and can become quite depressed if they beat us. " :(( {:-{
The sad thing about that statement Peter is, that it is genuinely true, and it shows desperately in your own comments <:(.
Of all the aussies I know and have ever known, most  ARE really poor loosers, especially if us poms beat you. ok2
I note from the increasing needling from you that you, as a person don't like to be wound up either especially by someone like me, and a pommie too. %)
I spent nearly 3 years in Canberra, teaching "industrial arts" a posh word for woodwork and tech drawing  some years ago and do in fact have a number of friends that I still keep in touch with, down under, and all true blue aussies, and I took a lot of stick when I first arrived because I WAS  a pom.............but coming from a background where this was the "norm" I could take it, and more to the point give back better than I gave.
Stood me in great stead..........my Aussie mates soon learned from my sense of humour for the better, and realised that you don't have to be cutting to the bone to have fun!! :embarrassed:
I have enjoyed this "friendly" banter with you, but if you are afraid of loosing ( as most aussies are) don't play the game. ;D

After all, in our hay day we were invincible at rugby u and l and also at Cricket............and you possom chasers had to cheat at that didn't you.....now look at Don Bradman and his bodyline series..........couldn't bowl 'em out fairly so knock the b*****s out..

As for rugby and soccer........yeh!! cheeting again.you went and invented Aussie Rules so us dumb brits couldn't understand the game and you could win ad infinitum?? {-) {-)

Lasty, getting back to the subject of boats...........didn't you lot even cheat at playing the America's Cup in the 80's..........in fact you outcheated the best cheaters in the sport...the Yanks, and cheated them  at their own game, to win....now that takes some doing.!! {-) %% {-) ;D

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 11:15:32 am »

NHP651,

Yes you are right we beat the yanks, and they were not impressed..... {-) {-)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

andygh

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:42 am »

Firstly, it's not soccer, it's called football >>:-( soccer is a word invented for use by girls & those from the US of A

Secondly, I love Aussie Rules  :embarrassed: though there aren't enough punch-ups these days, sanitised by the TV companies i guess

nhp651

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:21 pm »

Roy, a man after my own heart ! :-))

"Yes you are right we beat the yanks, and they were not impressed....."

As for "soccer" or "football" depends on which demented commentator you take notice of? Don't watch the sport myself....would rather watch my Humbrol enamel dry {-) i stand corrected though, and wouldn't want to cause you stress, andy! <:( 

andygh

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 12:57:05 pm »

No stress taken at all, anyway i watch real football, not the premier rubbish on TV so I don't have to listen to commentators

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 03:04:56 pm »

The main problem with the Aussies is they cheat like hell at all sports.

THEY PLAY TO WIN.

Whilst we Brits concentrate on being

GOOD LOSER'S.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

garston1

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:16 pm »

At least there's no one to touch us for Dwarf throwing.... GB, World champs :-))

nhp651

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »

come to think of it......I've never seen an Aussie shot putter...
they can't fit the shot under their chin for fear of the chips on their shoulders falling off and hurting their fallen egos, lol {-) {-) %% :}
ohh Sorry Peter..Just can't help myself.you leave your self so wide open. {-) ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.