Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere sporting woes.  (Read 9595 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Northern Hemisphere sporting woes.
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 11:14:13 pm »

The Indian team is coming off a 2-0 test series win against Australia, so their confidence is high, but India is always hard to beat at home.

Absolutely right Barry, as I mentioned in an earlier post, and they beat us deservedly, and comprehensively.

Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 11:34:59 pm »

After all, in our hey day we were invincible at rugby u and l and also at Cricket............and you possum chasers had to cheat at that didn't you.....now look at Don Bradman and his bodyline series..........couldn't bowl 'em out fairly so knock the b*****s out..

You certainly were invincible once nhp651, you had some great sides in all 3 sports you mentioned, and it's not long ago that England won the Rugby World Cup - and beat Australia in the last one.
I haven't actually got to the point where I like losing, but can happily accept it when beaten fairly by a better side, as happened in the RU World Cups I mentioned.

I think you need to check your facts about the Bodyline series though, it was the England bowlers who bowled bouncers, and stacked the leg side field, in an attempt to unsettle the Aussie batsmen. They succeeded too, and nearly killed some of them. However, you're delving into ancient history to bring Bodyline up. These days, bouncers are an accepted part of the game, although the number in an over is restricted; also, the number of fielders on the leg side is now limited as well.

You mentioned that you spent 3 years in Canberra - perhaps that explains why you talk so much hot air, Canberra's full of it  :} , it's all those politicians there, you see. Someone once said that if all the hot air emanating from Parliament House in Canberra could be collected, it would heat half the homes in that city  :-))

Never mind nhp651, I'm enjoying all the verbal sparring as much as you are, but I just wish the fish would bite as much as you do  {-) {-)

BTW, we do have some shot putters, perhaps they use small shots to fit alongside the chips on their shoulders  ok2

Peter.

amdaylight

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 12:35:23 am »

It just came to my mind that some one on this board could possibly explain the game of CRICKET? I tried to watch the other day and came away completely confused !!!!!   {:-{  :embarrassed:  {:-{ :embarrassed:  <:( <:(

Andre
confused in Portland Oregon

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 03:19:11 am »

Andre, cricket is rather like baseball.......only different  {-) {-) it's something you grow up with. To try and explain it to someone who knows nothing about it is only slightly less difficult than trying to explain the theory of relativity (not that I know anything about the theory of relativity)  :}. It started in England, and the countries that play it at international level were mostly former British colonies.
As you may have gathered, England and Australia have a long standing rivalry, going back well over 100 years, and each country just loves to beat the other, but it's all good, clean fun - really.   ;)

Peter.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 07:53:03 am »

It just came to my mind that some one on this board could possibly explain the game of CRICKET? I tried to watch the other day and came away completely confused !!!!!   {:-{  :embarrassed:  {:-{ :embarrassed:  <:( <:(

Andre
confused in Portland Oregon

Taking the lead from Peter's comment here's a link for you, an explanation in baseball terms :-))  http://www.seattlecricket.com/history/crick.htm or here is a slightly less simplified version http://www.squidoo.com/cricketfordummies

Haven't seen a game of cricket since I moved to Sweden 17 years ago and even worse, very little rugby  :(( My Swedish friends find it hard to believe that I don't like football but continue to encourage me to watch hockey. This in itself causes problems as to me hockey is played on grass whilst they insist it is played on ice!!! I do however believe that the northern hemisphere rules the roost as far as (ice) hockey goes.

barryfoote

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 08:00:39 am »

Peter,

I did forget to remind you that we have recently won the cricket Hong Kong 6's, beating Australia in the final.....

Cricket is a game with two teams of 11 a side.. One in and the other out.
The team that is in has 2 batters out on the field and the team that is out has 11 players fielding.
When one of the batters is out he goes in and another batter comes out.
This goes on until 10 batters are out, leaving one in and then they are all out and go in.

The team that was out now goes in and the team that was in now goes out and fields.
The whole process repeats itself until either the second team, who are in, are all out or until they score more runs than the first team.

Now scoring runs is very simple.................... <*< <*<

nhp651

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 09:45:38 am »

Now, Footski, I was trying to remember that explanation, ( a very famous one and can't remember who quoted it in the first place) but it sums the game up explicitely, and extremely amusing. {-) do you remember. %)
What I remember most about the cricket at "enjoyable level" in aus was playing on concrete pitches at such places as Captains Flat, and every few overs, one of the fielders would bring a wheel barrow around the pitch filled with ice and tinnies.......a most civilised way of playing the game in my mind........who cared who the winners were.....I certainly didn't after an innings. %% {-) %%
Peter, you are of an ae to remember the body line series in person.......I am a mere youngster and have to go off the propagander that you guys have printed over the years, dubious as it is? {-)
As for Canberra and hot air.......most definately agree.......Full of it......It's the only thing, apart from modelling I'm good at. :D :-))

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

nhp651,

Having as you said been to Captains Flat, what else could you do there,
Its a bit like the land that time forgot.............
I know I lived there for 6 long months ....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

nhp651

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

didn't see much of the place, Roy, and after the cricket match I could see even less, after gawd knows how many tinnies. I didn't know that a one day friendly could last so long into the night. {-) {-) {-)
Mind you I went back for a second time to apologise?? :o :}
In fact I bought an old classic 1951 MG from the estate of a deceased chap from C.F. after he had been killed racing another MG. that's about all I can remember of the sleepy little place. %%

I must state though, catagorically.Contrary to what Peter might think. I love the aussies and the australian way of life, and only wish I had the dosh to go back and visit for a while. I had a ball of a time for three very good years. Just enjoy the banter, without the risk of being thumped. {-) {-)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 01:17:41 pm »

nhp651,

No worries mate, if you get back here call in anytime.............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

nhp651

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 01:29:15 pm »

cheers, Roy. mabe one day, hopefully I will. neil. :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 10:21:35 pm »

Peter, you are of an age to remember the body line series in person.......I am a mere youngster and have to go off the propaganda that you guys have printed over the years, dubious as it is? {-)

Neil, I'm not quite that old,  :-) the bodyline series took place on 1932/33, I was born in 1937. It's not propaganda either, but historical fact  :-)). However, I think that modern fast bowling is not far removed from the bodyline days, just the field placements are different.

Barry, I had heard that explanation (?) of cricket too, but I couldn't remember it. After reading it, I'm sure our American friends will now have a clear understanding of the game  O0

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 07:57:31 am »

sorry, Peter.......must have been wrinkled paper you had the photo put on? or perhaps too much australian sunshine.........you know what it does to the skin.....thank gawd it peee's it down in blightey all the time....I don't have to ruin my babyface complexion {-) {-) %% {-)

Albion

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

I was once in a bar watching rugby between SA and NZ, and tryin g to explain the rules to some americans. They were picking it up quite well. Many of the decisions appeared to be going NZ way, and during one of the scrums an SA fan wearing a SA shirt and jeasn came runnin gaccross the screen and took the Ref out. The scrum collapsed and the NZ front row started on the SA Fan. The Americans looked at me and asked how this fits in the rules. They didnt realsie the SA fan wasnt a player and assumed it was part of the game  %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »

must have been wrinkled paper you had the photo put on? or perhaps too much Australian sunshine.........you know what it does to the skin

I knew I shouldn't have used that old paper for the photo  :}

Neil, I think "weather beaten" is a better description  O0 {-) , and I do know what the sun does to skin, I have had a number of small skin cancers taken off in recent years.

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 10:00:18 pm »

All joking and friendly banter aside, for a moment, Peter.
Did the Aussie TV stations show any of the recent rugby world tournament for the wheel chair players, which I believe took place in Australia.
It was shown briefly( all too briefly) on our local North west News this evening, and was unbelievable.

These guys who play, know no fear. I would have loved to see more, and one can only look in humble amazement at their dedication and will to perform at what looks like an even harder sport than what I used to play. Brilliant.

Now back to the task...we brits actually won the tournament. :-)) :-))

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 10:51:36 pm »

You think you have it bad, living in the UK and trying to stay up til 230am on Saturday night just to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs, lose yet again. But as with die hard footy fans, your born to love them, even though they have not won the NHL Stanley cup since I was 8 or 9! That is dedication...Go on Leafs.
But on a happier note , I was strolling through the town today, and walked by a charity shop and found a table top ice hockey game similiar to one I had when I was a kid, Four quid in mint shape, the staff didn't even know what it was...my 9 year old step son will love it, as he plays it on the ps2....can't wait til Christmas...he shoots, he scores! {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 05:50:08 am »

Neil, like you, our TV stations only showed snippets. They are indeed amazing people, who don't let their disability stop them.

rem2007, we get the Stanley Cup on ESPN. I enjoy watching the game, even though I don't know much about it - (I'm not sure what "icing the puck" means) - but it's very fast. The old joke - I was watching a fight when a game of ice hockey broke out - seems appropriate at times, they can get quite aggressive  <*< <*<

Peter.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »

Hmm..icing the puck.....almost like explaining the offside rule in footy. Icing the puck is when you shoot the puck into the offensive end of the rink past the goal crease line but not going in the net and the opposing team touches the puck first, but not the goaltender. It took many cold nites on the rink and many warm nites watching the television to figure that one out. I get NASN here in the UK, but it is an American channel and they are always glorifying their teams. Drives me nuts to hear a defecting Canadian colour commentator broadcasting for the NY Rangers from Maple Leaf Gardens, oops Air Canada Centre, and feigning allegiance to an American team >>:-(

nhp651

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:26 pm »

Oh Dear Peter, what happenned to your Rubby League team today?
Not in mourning are we??? {-) %% :(( :(( :(( :(( :embarrassed:

I can hear a wailing and a gnashing of teeth from here?? <:( <:( <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2008, 08:52:59 pm »

Neil, I'm in shock  :o. Everyone thought that Australia was unbeatable in Rugby League, everyone except the Kiwis, that is. They outscored us 22-4 in the second half for a very well deserved win. Maybe the New Zealand cricket team can come back from the dead and beat us in the first Test in Brisbane  :-)

I'm hoping Australia can beat France in the Rugby Union, now being played in Paris, but I'm not confident  {:-{

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2008, 09:41:07 pm »

don't worry peter, we lost too, against SA, mind you we're used to it.
never forget attending a friends wedding in deepest Llanwryst, Wales many years ago, and England were playing Wales at Cardiff Arms. the chaps were strategically places at the rear of the church and kept nipping out to listen on the radio for the state of play.
well, the english gave the welsh a stuffing, O0 and at the end of the service the minister gave out the score, and the welsh lassie had her first argument with her english groom. :embarrassed: :D
that night all the welsh party goers wore black arm bands. I kid you not.
i just kept trying to convince people that i had welsh extract with my welsh name. :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 02:52:26 am »

Neil, I have just watched a replay of the England v SA game, not a pretty sight  :embarrassed: Now they have to face the NZ All Blacks  %)

We did gain some revenge for our Rugby League loss by beating New Zealand comprehensively in the first cricket test; and our Rugby Union side (The Wallabies) beat France in Paris  :-))

Peter.

nhp651

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 09:42:59 am »

Now ya talkin' Peter.anyone who beets france...well!!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »

Neil, Australia loves beating England; England loves beating Australia, but everyone loves beating the French  O0 {-) {-)

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.