Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Warning - direct debit car insurance payments....  (Read 5804 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: A Warning - direct debit car insurance payments....
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 03:10:12 pm »

Bernard,
Mosy Insurance Companies that charge interest on monthly payments use a "loan" system.
They dont inforn the Insuree though.
It of course ensures they get their full money for the year.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 03:32:27 pm »

Dear Bob,

I can only say it's the first one I have come across. The Bank Mgr. was most unhappy - as I was - that this 'other bank' presumed to install a DD without any formal authority from me to do so! It's the procedure that was 'strange' with this whole 'setup' that is notable. I asked the Union if I could set up a DD on a yearly basis when the Policy is due for renewal, but no, this insurer only did monthly DD's and nothing else - all wanting a share of the interest pot of course! So, spiked that lot's guns and will pay Credit Card instead... until they try charging me a fee then I will send them a cheque! - and if they try saying they don't accept cheques (unlikely), they will get cash and lump it!!!

Damn people! >>:-( <*<

Regards, Bernard

das boot

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »

I had a word in the legal ear about this, and the answer is:

I have no come back at all with the insurance company, they are within their rights to cancel the policy at any time if they haven't been paid. They did try and contact me, it was just an unfortunate error on my behalf that the email went straight into my junk mail folder and not into my inbox, so I wasn't aware of any problem until the blue lights appeared behind me...and by then it was too late. It could have been worse, I could have been involved in an accident and then I would have been in very serious trouble. That's the legal view...

So, I paid the fine today by cheque, I've made a few alterations to my junk mail filter so as I receive anything that the noddingdog.com care to send me, my new insurance is paid up, no direct debits, it was paid in one lump sum, so I am now fully and completely insured to drive my car on the road.

The cost of the fine and the cost of the new insurance policy are in total just about the same as the value of the bl**dy car!!! And guess what? The bl**dy road tax is due at the end of the month!!!!

Anybody want to buy a Rover 214? (short tax, six months MOT, new cat converter...buy your own bl**dy insurance!!!)

Rich (not now I'm not.....)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 05:58:17 pm »

Oddly enough, I just had cause to use RM's recorded delivery system.  With it, you can track your posting.  After the first day it was "out for delivery".  Four days later it was still "out for delivery".  I rang the company that it was mailed to, and the letter had been actioned, but RM tracking had not changed - as far as I know, it still hasn't.  It seems that some bits of RM have yet to figure that getting rid of the mail is important, and that admitting such is central to the idea of tracking.  If you need to prove that something has been delivered, that sort of thing is no help at all.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Roger in France

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »

Rich,

You said, I think, that the insurance Company attempted to take the money early but failed. Presumably they did not try again at the time agreed in the contract between you and them.

If all that is so, your legal adviser is wrong. The insurance Company has some liability.

Roger in France

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »

What about threatening them with TV's 'Watchdog' Programme. I know technically you breached the law and therefore have correctly incurred the full weight of it but if the threat of bad publicity got you some compensation from the company, you might be able to approach a legal eagle who could appeal and maybe get the points removed. I know it's a long shot but it all seems so unjust and very frustrating. I suppose it's the price you pay for trying to be an upstanding citizen. 

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 11:57:59 pm »

Oddly enough, I just had cause to use RM's recorded delivery system.  With it, you can track your posting.  After the first day it was "out for delivery".  Four days later it was still "out for delivery".  I rang the company that it was mailed to, and the letter had been actioned, but RM tracking had not changed - as far as I know, it still hasn't.  It seems that some bits of RM have yet to figure that getting rid of the mail is important, and that admitting such is central to the idea of tracking.  If you need to prove that something has been delivered, that sort of thing is no help at all.

I sent three different items by Recorded Delivery. All were delivered but none were signed for and the RM website continued to record them as in transit. When I complained, RM stated that thay would only take action if the deliveries had been to the same address; if they were sent to different addresses (as was the case) they were not concerned.  >>:-(  I was then offered a book of stamps. Service?????

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:27 am »

You can check if your car is on the motor insurer's database using the following website:

www.askmid.com

This is the same database that the police use to check if a car is insured.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 11:37:21 am »

I sent three different items by Recorded Delivery. All were delivered but none were signed for and the RM website continued to record them as in transit. When I complained, RM stated that thay would only take action if the deliveries had been to the same address; if they were sent to different addresses (as was the case) they were not concerned.  >>:-(  I was then offered a book of stamps. Service?????
At least you got offered a book of stamps.  I am still awaiting a sensible reply.  It looks like all that happens to a complaint is that some semi-automated numpty gets a complaint, assumes that it is about non-delivery, and sends a totally inappropriate stock answer.
Sorry about nearly hijacking the thread, but it does sort of tie in.  When you send something through the post that is time-dependant, and you might need proof that it has been delivered, like, say an insurance payment, the outfit doing the delivering should be capable of saying "We have delivered it" so you know who you are actually in dispute with.  Incidentally, it is not considered "lost" until a fortnight has passed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

craftysod

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 08:28:08 pm »

I never pay car insurance by DD as bob said ,it is a loan,and you pay through the nose.
I search online every year and compare,always can get it cheaper somewhere else,just haggle
they want your money,like everyone else.
A good place to go is,www.moneysavingexpert.com,can save you loads
Mark

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.