Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCM(3) in 1/15th Scale  (Read 6840 times)

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
LCM(3) in 1/15th Scale
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:33:41 pm »

I'm just finishing my LCM(3) in 1/15th scale. The model is based on a fibreglass hull from a mould I made and is just over a metre long and 250mm wide. The model is powered by two 777 motors turning 45mm props running on 12V. For those who are curious it will hold a Tamiya Sherman unlike the real one which didn't. I've yet to detail the main load deck but its getting there slowly. I've had it on the water today and taken some photos which i've tried to attach, however they're too big and keep stalling the site so if your curious mail me and i'll send a couple, be aware you'll need a broadband link or you'll be there till doomsday. I' ve also built the smaller LCVP in the same scale and the pair do make a nice site side by side on the water, the LCVP is scale built from ply sheet on ply frames, its much quicker but far more delicate. the LCM's like a tank and with a hull around 4mm thick there's not much that will damage it on the water.

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LCM(3) in 1/15th Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:45:19 pm »

Here goes, Please see attached photos of my latest project on the water thanks Tricky for the tip off

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 07:27:36 pm »

I have made a couple of 1/72nd models of these from a kit and always wanted to build a bigger one. Looks great. Is the bow door operational?

Where could i get a copy of some plans?

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 07:44:23 pm »

Hi 2772e?

The LCM was scaled from the 1/35th version by trumpeter with refence details from the squadron signal book on Landing craft of WW2. I did generate a set of plans but they are basic to go with the hulls. I'll try and attach a file that can be opened from this site

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 07:58:48 pm »

Sorry 2772e

The bow door is designed to be operational i.e the cables and pulley's are coupled up and when funds allow the door will be powered by using two winches designed for modell yachts. I've just fitted a sound generator and speaker system so I now have full engine noise during sailing, and due to the size of the engine compartment its very loud. The deck hatch is operational and is used as a baffle to limit the noise from the speaker. To give an indication of size the whole model is just over a metre long and is powered with a 12v 24AH battery thats 200mm X 200mm x 110mm deep all up weight is around 50lbs this sits in the bilge section and fits through into the load bay the remainder is covered by the ammo crates this gives me around 2 hours running time on a full charge.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 08:18:21 pm »

Thanks, i will have to have ago when i have finished my RTTL, detailed in my builds, 68 inches long. I like the big ones. Where can i get hold of some drawrins so i can scale her up?

I have a Vosper triple engine sound module and they sound awesome, mounted in the bow acts as a boom box.

Still got a couple more botas to fisnish, i will bookmark and try and remember. Pleasekeep me updated.

Regards

Simon

Simon.beament@btinternet.com

thanks
Rubbin is Racin!

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:25:50 pm »

Hi SimonO
Congrats on a nice build,I have studied the plans for the full-size LCM(3) and can say with all certainty they would take a Tamiya Sherman with some ease...

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:10:11 pm »

I've put these on photobucket due to their file size. The first two are the 1/15th scale armoured dozer I built to put in the hold, the next is a shot on the water with my mates 1/24th fairmile D in the background and the final one is at a local show with my LCVP (also radio controlled) this one gives an indication of its size. if anyones interested in a hull mail me for details.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/ArmouredDozer009.jpg http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/ArmouredDozer005.jpg http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/LCM1OnWater005.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/chappletonShow2006002.jpg

cdsc123

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:12 pm »

The LCM looks great, as does your mates Fairmile, which is a B not a D.

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:59 pm »

Sorry cdsc123, i'm new at this so still getting used to the names.....if anyones interested there's a model show we attend every year at the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovil on the 10th Feb, not a boat show but a fantastic day out just the same, my boat club has two stands there along with a few others, worth a look as there is usually 100+ traders selling all manner of model bits, tools and the like...

Si

cdsc123

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:38:24 pm »

Hi Si
Easiest way to tell them apart;
the As and Cs have semi-displacement hulls with tumblehome aft (the Cs also have hull belts).
the Bs have displacement hulls with a rubbing/spray rail above the waterline extending from the transom to 3/4s way fwd.
the Ds are hard-chine, the chines going all the way up to the stem. (they are arguably also semi-displacement).
the Hs are hard-chine with a snub nose, configured like an LCI with a deck.
Re Yeovil, any chance you can post pictures on the forum after the event? I'd especially like to see MTBs and HSLs etc.
B Rgds,
Christian.

SimonO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 08:40:12 am »

Just finished the LCM, I have posted some photos of the completed model and one from the Yeovil model Show, showing my LCVP and LCM next to my friends 1/35th trumpeter LCM (gives a better indication of the size) If you're interested try the link below.

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/sifromdevon/

Regards

Si
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.