Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sinking  (Read 12786 times)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
Re: sinking
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 05:50:10 pm »

Hi all
I used to sail at Black Park in the 80's before there was a club. Are there still those strange mini 'Bermuda Triangles' scattered around the water ? Every so often there would be small (2-3 ft across) areas where all control of the model would be lost. They weren't constant and the theory was that it was some sort of interference from the local hospital gear.
I spent one afternoon mucking up a film scene shoot from the studio where a load of Cossacks on horses chased some raggy bloke to the lake and he jumps into a dinghy. I surmised that the period they were trying to show didn't include a radio controlled Marbelhead yacht, so every time the flood lights came on I would sail the yacht in close. Off would go the lights until I sailed it out of shot and so on. Finally some bloke with one of those monocular thingies round his neck came panting round the lake looking for the owner so I decided I had better let them get on !! I know - little things please little minds etc - but there was nobody else around to have a race with ! ;) ::)
best regards
MikeK

Hey Mike K you must remember members like  jon sandall then, he had a huge Sct Knud tug, and a little fisihing boat called eileen ?- and also arthur townsend, ( he used to be called the commodore, every sunday he arrived with a different boat... he had one hell of a fleet )
then there was the charachters like bob gaines and his 9ft long kingswer castle, , and then there was don newly with his swan wearing a bow tie and top hat...... AAAHHH those were the days  we would arrive on a sunday morning and sail for a while, then we used to sail across to the cafe, and drink copious amounts of coffee and eat the great hot pasties......that little cafe was great... a real hub of the club on those cold mornings in winter- and especially on the  boxing day morning sail !
steve the cafe owner always popped something into your coffee on boxing day to keep you warm, he knew everyone by name too.....

sadly the dell cafe has now gone replaced by some huge faceless place serving chips and greasy junk food...... but black park in the 80's brings back many great memories,  plus you could park for free too...........

those were the days.........
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 08:23:43 am »

Hello there, Guy
Thanks for the update on Pat the Ranger and how much the place has changed. Your description of sailing over for coffee and hot pasties brought it all back !! I can't remember much about individual people - I used to be mainly with the sail crowd on Sundays. there was one chap - Sam  (Hodges ?), from the West Indies with whom I later joined Three Rivers Club when it was just forming. He eventually  returned across the big pond taking a whole bunch of yachts with him to get interest in the hobby started on his island. I also remember something about a chap with a speedboat and tunnel vision (not an ideal combination !!) who managed to shoot the thing straight under the little bridge over the overflow stream, and then airborne into the woods !! As you say aaahhhh memories and all of them good of Black Park.

Best regards
MikeK

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:58 pm »

Don't forget the skinny dipping after Cowley Jazz Club in the early to mid sixties on a Saturday night
                                                                                    Cheers
                                                                                         Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 02:22:20 pm »

would not like to skinny dip in there at the moment..... with all the recent sunshine there is a thin film just starting to form on the surface, a sort of slime.....

a bit of good old rain will sort it out.....

young at 65, was there rangers on site when you went skinny dipping in those days ? - now we need  everything in triplicate to sail after dark for our nightsails......

the rangers are alot more chilled nowadays  than in the 80's......

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 02:31:29 pm »

Yep there were rangers but it wasn't the mamby pamby world we live in today little bit of green slime on the water so what had to go through a lot worse water than that in the army bit of dirt didn't do anything except help the imune system
                                                 Cheers
                                                        Bob B

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 12:23:02 pm »

too right..... good on yer..... sod the authorities !

warspite

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 06:06:35 pm »

are you sure the green slime is natural, thoughs of 'HI KARATE' lubricated skinny dippers springs to mind - uuurrrrrgh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 06:47:42 pm »

Long before Hi-karate was even thought of and Brute come to think of it.  ;D :o

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 08:28:29 am »

I seem to remember that Old Spice was the first venture into the ordinary men's after shave 'smellies'. Or do you know different ??

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 08:51:01 am »

BO was the first  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.