Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: sinking  (Read 12781 times)

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
sinking
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:59:35 pm »

Hi guys
Bad news one of our members little Jack Thomas lost his fishing boat Orchard to the wind conditions sailing at Black Park on Thursday at Black Park Country Park Slough all hands were lost next of kin have been informed.
RIP
gary rowe
bpmbc
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Dave Leishman

Re: sinking
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:07:06 pm »

Ouch!

No local diving clubs in the area?

That's the one aspect of model boating I don't like. I'm paranoid about losing a boat :(

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:10:58 pm »

Its allways sad when we loose one to the deep. I hope there is a chance of recovery or he gets a replacement soon.

Is there a local sub-aqua club near or does anyone know a member of the police who may be pursuaded to get one of their divers on a 'training exercise'.

Are thoughts are with him
Daryl

aston

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:06:14 am »

Daryl has the right idea,  contact the PR dept or similar at your local cop shop ( or your local bobby if you have one).  Our local underwater search unit do training exercises every week, where something has to be "hidden" in a pond or canal, so I'm sure yours would be interested in doing a search with a purpose.  If as the note suggests the model belongs to a child, even better for press coverage.

They have to train anyway so no one can claim it's a waste of resources, and lets face it, the worst thing they can do is say no !!

Aston

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:09:37 am »

The Royal Navy has done a similar thing for training and good publicity.

Worth a try.

Hope things work out
Daryl

dennisw100

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:50 pm »

No one got an RC floating crane? ;)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 04:17:41 pm »

Hi Just can't let this one go. As a person who sail at Black Park for may years in the seventys and eightys are you sure it just sank or was it one of the large pike that had it .I have many happy memorys of Black Park in the sixties when we would go to Cowley jaz club and the after would end up at Blsck Park skinny dipping ..................AH those were the days
          Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

dennisw100

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 08:25:17 pm »

are you sure it just sank or was it one of the large pike that had it

A mine sweeper with working depth charges sorts those ;D

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »

Hi guys
As much as i like the idea of a monster pike taking it no it was the wind something to do with leaving the jib sail up anyway i am pleased to say that our normal divers Ricky and chums are coming to the rescue on Monday so little Jack ( aged 75 ) will be sailing again soon.
cheers
gary rowe
BPMBC

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 01:34:51 pm »

Hi all  little jack has he's boat back, in the process of dying out.

Youngat65   if you get the urge to skinny dip please  dont do it Thur's afternoons or Sunday
mornings and remember those Big pike are still there.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:45:00 pm »

Huh...  Some people 'skinny dip'.  At my age and shape, it's called 'chunky-dunking'.
 - 'Doc

PS - Don't remember where I stole that phrase, but it fits.

dennisw100

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:37:50 pm »

you mean when you climb in you displace all the water from the pond? ;D

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 06:54:22 pm »

Hi all
I used to sail at Black Park in the 80's before there was a club. Are there still those strange mini 'Bermuda Triangles' scattered around the water ? Every so often there would be small (2-3 ft across) areas where all control of the model would be lost. They weren't constant and the theory was that it was some sort of interference from the local hospital gear.
I spent one afternoon mucking up a film scene shoot from the studio where a load of Cossacks on horses chased some raggy bloke to the lake and he jumps into a dinghy. I surmised that the period they were trying to show didn't include a radio controlled Marbelhead yacht, so every time the flood lights came on I would sail the yacht in close. Off would go the lights until I sailed it out of shot and so on. Finally some bloke with one of those monocular thingies round his neck came panting round the lake looking for the owner so I decided I had better let them get on !! I know - little things please little minds etc - but there was nobody else around to have a race with ! ;) ::)
best regards
MikeK

Dave Leishman

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »

Hi all
I used to sail at Black Park in the 80's before there was a club. Are there still those strange mini 'Bermuda Triangles' scattered around the water ? Every so often there would be small (2-3 ft across) areas where all control of the model would be lost. They weren't constant and the theory was that it was some sort of interference from the local hospital gear.
I spent one afternoon mucking up a film scene shoot from the studio where a load of Cossacks on horses chased some raggy bloke to the lake and he jumps into a dinghy. I surmised that the period they were trying to show didn't include a radio controlled Marbelhead yacht, so every time the flood lights came on I would sail the yacht in close. Off would go the lights until I sailed it out of shot and so on. Finally some bloke with one of those monocular thingies round his neck came panting round the lake looking for the owner so I decided I had better let them get on !! I know - little things please little minds etc - but there was nobody else around to have a race with ! ;) ::)
best regards
MikeK

Hehe...great story ;D

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 10:04:03 pm »

Almost as good as one of the skippers that used to fish out of Aberdeen. "Mad Jackko" of the inshore trawler Loch Maravaig used to wait until the Red warning flags were flying at the Blackdog army firing range just north of Aberdeen before steaming in at full speed and shooting his net......... lets just say that he did have a few minor "repairs" needed when the guns were fired just as he crossed into the range.... didn't stop him either  :o

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 08:40:59 am »

Still in a nostalgic mood - do you still have the uniformed park rangers Gary ? Every time I sailed anywhere near a swan (accidently, honest guv !? ::)? ? ) a bloke dressed up like a senior ranking boy scout would appear like magic from behind a tree and give me a rollicking for frightening the wild life ! Also where do you have the club house, is it next to the snack bar ? (long since moved away from the area)
best regards to all
MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 10:11:40 am »

I can remember the first model boat I built was a free plan calle snapper couldn't wait to sail it, so off to Black Park on a  cold winter Sunday parked the car (free in those days ) and down to the pond only to find it was frozen over. Then one of the more knowledgeable model boaters said just break the ice and you can sail in that area , end result miniture re-enactment of the sinking of the Titanic. So off to the other side of the lake for a ccup of tea and a pie , happy days , I remember a father and son who used to come down from High Wycombe they had a crash tender and a swordsman both with home made  tuned pipes and beautifully painted wonder what ever happended to them

Cheers Bob B

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 05:46:14 pm »

Come to think of it my first models - not counting school days - were both launched at Black Park as well. I bought a Veron Coaster kit as the first project. Before I had finished it I decided to attempt a yacht by gridding the lines off a single page plan in the old style M.B. on a Marblehead called Dik Dik (South African beastie evidently !) and blowing it up to (near !) scale. I had so much enjoyment scavenging the bits to make the yacht that the coaster never got in the water for ages ! When it finally did it was on a day like yours, Bob, with just a few feet of open water around the edges and no wind for the yacht. Unlike yours it didn't sink, but after doing all the various manouevres, including ice breaking, I thought 'now what' ? and that was the point that I never went back to scale power and stuck strictly to sail.
Anybody still awake ?? ;D
regards
MikeK

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 11:53:41 am »

Hi guys
Sorry for the delay in relying.
Yes the small areas of interference are still there about 25/30 feet out between the pathway from the carpark and the peg board not constant but still there .
Yes many times over the past winters we have broken the ice to sai us boaters are a mad lotl
The rangers are very relaxed about what we get up to now but as BPMBC members are a very disaplined anyway and the wild life are used to us now and are not bothered when the fast electrics are raceing the ducks are very happy to sit and watch
No club house but the rangers have given us a bench, we meet at a local church
Is there any chance that those of you that have moved away could come back and see us for our regatta on the 3rd September .
cheers
gary rowe
BPMBC
chairman

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 04:50:13 pm »

Hi Gary
Regret to say it is highly unlikely I will be in that neck of the woods (literally  ;D ) for your Regatta, but best wishes for a successful show. Strange that those interference patches still show up - sounds like the same places too. Very Bermuda Triangle.
I seem to remember that one of the rangers had a tied (or is it tythe ?) cottage near the lake and he had a big model railway set up round the garden with a station in the garden shed, I would think he is long retired by now.
Best wishes
MikeK

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 10:35:26 am »

Hi Mikek
I will certainley ask the Rangers my son does work expereiance there every Thursday
cheers
gary rowe
BPMBC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 10:52:54 am »

Whilst I would like to come back to Black Park it is too far for me for a day 350 mile round trip but I wish you well and hope that the weather is kind to you
                                                                  Cheers
                                                                      Bob B

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 02:20:04 pm »

BobB
Our regatta offers free overnight camping & free parking now that's gotta be a deal closer
gary rowe
BPMBC

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 10:38:22 pm »

Gary
I think the simking of Orchard may be more sinister than just weather conditions, there seems to be a submarine stalking the ships last Sunday. We need to demand a public enquiery.

Holmsey

PS
See you Sunday

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 05:41:19 pm »

Hi Gary
Regret to say it is highly unlikely I will be in that neck of the woods (literally  ;D ) for your Regatta, but best wishes for a successful show. Strange that those interference patches still show up - sounds like the same places too. Very Bermuda Triangle.
I seem to remember that one of the rangers had a tied (or is it tythe ?) cottage near the lake and he had a big model railway set up round the garden with a station in the garden shed, I would think he is long retired by now.
Best wishes
MikeK

that was pat the head ranger, he had a huge garden railway layout, he retired about 6 yrs ago, and his cottage and the adjoining cottage were sold off..... we still see pat from time to time, he comes for a walk around the lake.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.