Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I send a music CD through the Ether?  (Read 4317 times)

Big Ada

Can I send a music CD through the Ether?
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:35:47 pm »

I have a music CD that a mate wants,I have it on my Computer,can I Email it or will I have to burn it and send it Snail Mail?.
Someone mentioned Winzip ? a programme to reduce it before sending it.
Advise please Guys and in fairly simple steps,Including Emailing.
Is Winzip? safe AND Free.

Thanks for any help.

Len.

andyn

Re: Can I send a music CD through the Ether?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »

Winzip is safe and free, but your mate has to have it too.

Or else just rip the music onto your computer into a new folder, in this folder right click, select new, then new compreesed folder, go back up to the folder you created, then highlight the music files and drag them into the compressed folder you just created, et voila, you can send them as an email attachment.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:56:40 pm »

Ignoring the legality question  :police: :police: :police:

the content on your computer is a digital representation of the CD stored as a binary file so it can be emailed like any other computer file. Winzip is a compression utility which has been around for years and is perfectly safe. You can download a free copy from http://win.zip-free.com/index.php
However, I'm not sure how much a digital music file would compress, you would have to try it.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 06:03:33 pm »

Whatever you do, its going to be one huge file to attach.  A (presumably) legal copy by snail mail would probably be faster and more certain, allowing for processing, getting the software at both ends, figuring how to use it etc.  Some e-mail objects to certain attachments, .zip being one of them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

andyn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:40:24 pm »

I could go on for ages about how this all works, but music files are alrready compressed, if you do the maths if they weren't compressed one 5 min song would take up all your hard drive.

By the time you've done all this and posted on the forum etc you could have snail mailed it by now ;)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:48:24 pm »

Just to put you on the straight and narrow.

Most email attachments can't be more than a few MB, some that I have used will take up to about 8MB, others you would be pushing it at 4MB, it all depends on your service provider.

Really the only way to transfer it by email would be to convert each separate track into an mp3 file, hoping that you can get it below your isp's limit, then send each file by separate emails. At the other end they would have to be re-expanded into the original sized Wav files.

If you are a Skype user you can send rather large files using their file transfer system, but I have never sent anything as large as 700mb (the standard sort of size for a CD), and if you had a normal sort of internet connection, it would most probably take a few hours to send. I am lucky, as I have just changed ISP to obtain ADSL2 and get a standard 1mb upload speed.

So really, snail mail is your best choice.

John

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:58:22 pm »

I have sent and received files over 30mb by  yousendit.com , you have to register , and then send the file to them , they then contact the recipient who I think also has to register and then can download it.

I only used this as the sender was in the states so easier to do, without costing anything.

Larry

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:01:33 am »

If you and your mate have Windows messenger or similar you can send files of almost any size (1 gig is possible). It works...

Barry

Big Ada

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:09 pm »

Thanks Guys for all your thoughts,

Barry,
We both have Windowa Messenger, Next lesson please.

Regards,

Len.

If you and your mate have Windows messenger or similar you can send files of almost any size (1 gig is possible). It works...

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 06:08:22 pm »

Len,

Make sure you know where the music is on your computer. if in doubt, copy and paste it to a new folder on your destop.

Open messengar and begin a normal conversation with your mate. Now at the top line of icons is one that looks like a folder. Click on it and one of the options is to send a file or photo. Click on this and browse to the folder containing your music. After selecting it just click send on messenger and away it goes. A typical CD is between 50 and 90 megs in size so it may take a while to download. Just keep the line open until it is done.

Barry

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:11:34 pm »

I think you will find a typical MP3 cd is between 50 & 90MB's. A standard CD is up to 700MB.

To upload using a standard ISP provided ADSL (broadband) speed will take at least an hour for an MP3 cd, for a standard cd, 7 to 8 hours or maybe more would be about the norm. If you have ADSL2 that could be reduced to a quarter of the time, maybe less if you opted for a premium line.

Get out the first class stamps.

John

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03:56 am »

I think you will find a typical MP3 cd is between 50 & 90MB's. A standard CD is up to 700MB.

To upload using a standard ISP provided ADSL (broadband) speed will take at least an hour for an MP3 cd, for a standard cd, 7 to 8 hours or maybe more would be about the norm. If you have ADSL2 that could be reduced to a quarter of the time, maybe less if you opted for a premium line.

Get out the first class stamps.

John

Sorry john,

You are of course quite right. The mp3 cd is the one, I was really talking about as when it reaches the other end it can simply be converted to a normal cd for running on ordinary cd players.

Barry

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

Barry,

I wasn't trying to upstage you, just giving a bit more information.

A lot of people don't know the difference between music file types, so when the time came to transmit, after a couple of hours they would think something was wrong, and just cancel. I just gave them a reference to what sort of times to expect.

I keep going on about ADSL2, but no-one has picked up on it yet. Just to say, I am at the real outer limits of my exchange and the max download I could ever get was 1.5mb, that was with the usual 8mb system. Along with it came frequent disconnections and as low as 0.5mb when the kids got home from school, plus a limited quota for downloads unless you do most of your stuff after midnight.
A few weeks ago, I swapped over to another supplier, who does the new system. £2 a month cheaper, that is after I have paid for 5 email addresses (they come as an add on at £2 a month), fixed IP address. This is a 24mb system, and I am getting a rock solid 6mb download, 1mb upload (you can have a lot more upload for very little extra money), and NO LIMITS, anytime. No long term contract, just 3 months notice. Low cost telephone support charges, and someone always answers almost straight away. I had a technical problem setting up to access my router, that was a problem at my end. Five minutes later I was online at blistering speed (for my line it is). I was offline for less than two hours while the changeover happened.

Nothing is ever perfect, and I am sure eventually something will go wrong that disagrees with me, but I have the fairly easy option of leaving, rather than the usual Lemming systems that are being bandied around that give inferior service for higher costs.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel for most of us.

John

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:14 am »

Hi John,

Absolutely no problem mate and no offence taken. I forgot to mention the difference in my original post...Our system out here in Spain costs me 45 Euros a month and runs at a maximum of 27 bits per second. Very slow for a broadband system, but we have no real choice in the matter. Still it does get there in the end and there are no ancilliary costs involved.

Barry

Hagar

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:41 am »

And only two people have questioned the legality?

I hardly think that what you want(ed) to do comes under the "Back up copy for personal use by you as the owner of the original" catagory.
Unless the music is your original composition, in which case copy away to your heart content.

Any one ever moan about the cost of a music CD. Now you know why.
Buy one copy it for your mates. One CD sold instead of ten.

Might be I'm a grumpy old git, but I buy my music!

barryfoote

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 10:48:44 am »

NOW WHO SAID THAT WE DON'T??

My father produces CD's of his own keyboard music and as I live here in Spain and have a computer, he brings them to me and I send them on to family members by the method discussed above. Absoultely legal I think...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 10:54:37 am »

Yes Footski, but I bet you're one in a million!

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 01:05:41 pm »

Sadly Colin, that is probably true, but with you as well that makes two!!

Barry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 01:10:47 pm »

And Ian buys his so that makes three of us!

Hagar

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 02:06:39 pm »

Footski:
Take it easy :-)) I have at no point in my post pointed a finger at anyone. If you took offence; Sorry was not intended.

As I also said, if the music is original, ie, writen by you, (or given to you by the writer) you are free to do what you like with it.

My comments were aimed at people that either purchase a CD and copy it for their mates, or post it on a file share site.

barryfoote

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 05:23:40 pm »

Footski:
Take it easy :-)) I have at no point in my post pointed a finger at anyone. If you took offence; Sorry was not intended.

As I also said, if the music is original, ie, writen by you, (or given to you by the writer) you are free to do what you like with it.

My comments were aimed at people that either purchase a CD and copy it for their mates, or post it on a file share site.

Ian,

I did.....but now I don't!!!!

No problems...

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.