Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D Ancient Rome.  (Read 2205 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
3D Ancient Rome.
« on: November 17, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »

On 13th Nov. the Daily Mail published an article by David Derbyshire (page 27). This is apparently a "walk-through" 3D model of Rome circa 320AD. The article states that it is freely available on Google Earth, and allows the "tourist" access to 6000 buildings. Sounds like magic. I sort of know my way around Google Earth, but can I find this site? Can I heck. I tried sending an e-mail to Mr.Derbyshire using the e-mail address at the end of the article only to have it come back as "undelivered" as the address does not exist. Anyone else had this problem? If it's for real (no pun intended) then I really would like to see it. Advice please? Cheers, Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 3D Ancient Rome.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:10:37 pm »

According to the instructions on the subject in a geek (or possibly nerd) article, this is what you do -
Google Earth Ancient Rome 3D can be viewed within the “Layers” panel of the Google Earth program. Select “Gallery,” then “Ancient Rome 3D” to take the tour.
Havn't tried it, but I might.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

OMK

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »

How do you get to see the walk-through/tour? Double-clicking 'Ancient Rome 3D' takes you to Rome, but then it just sits there.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:44 am »

Just tried it.  Same result.  Shame.  Perhaps one day Google will get it working, or at least someone will figure out what the actual instructions are without missing out ant vital bits.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

OMK

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 04:01:05 pm »

I googled this...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MqMXIRwQniA

...then went back to Google Earth, double-clicked 'Ancient Rome 3D' from the Layers menu, and it suddenly started working. All the buildings are now there - just click one.

bobdoc

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:33:12 pm »

Hi Folks,

Seems to be working now: Google Earth Ancient Rome 3D can be viewed within the “Layers” panel of the Google Earth program. Select “Gallery,” then “Ancient Rome 3D” to take the tour: then load the ancient terrain then either or both Ancient Roman Landmarks and Ancient Roman Building (250 and 5000 items respectively - takes quite a while even using the very fast internet access we enjoy in a university. Once loaded, move round Rome and zoom etc in the usual way and get the 3D using the slider bar.

Quite good, really, I think

You can access the Rome Reborn website through Google Earth or directly: http://www.romereborn.virginia.edu/ where there are also lots of computer generated images of Ancient Rome - the high resolution images (static) are pretty good, too

Bobdoc

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »

Thanks for the interest. I think I'm about half way there now, but have yet to master the "walk-through". Is it obligatory to wear a Toga, or will a pair of jeans be acceptable? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

bobdoc

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:45:38 pm »

Did Romans have shreddies under the toga or go commando?!

Shouldn't think it'd make much difference in a digital walk-though?

Bobdoc

OMK

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:04 am »

According to Adam Hart-Davis, jeans weren't around at the time, but some evidence to suggest they did indeed wear undies on account of our climate. Otherwise, when in Rome, they dressed pretty much a-la Scottish style.

I sawed, I conkered, I camed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.